Brian Joubert Discussion Group

PortalHomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsLog inFacebookTwitter

Share | 

Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Karen
Mon ami

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2006-08-15

PostSubject: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   10.09.08 15:31

Shocked

Quote :
Reigning world champion Jeff Buttle is retiring from figure skating, saying that he's satisfied with everything he has accomplished in his career.

Buttle, 26, started considering his options following his world championship victory in the spring.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/story/2008/09/10/figure-skating-buttleretire.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.kodakgallery.com/photos-by-karen/skating
Gislaine
The Boss

Number of posts : 13307
Registration date : 2006-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   10.09.08 15:40

Karen, I have just read news on FSU, I am really surprised by this news.

Gislaine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nina
vip

Number of posts : 3534
Registration date : 2006-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   10.09.08 15:43

What?? Shocked I'd never expected that!!

Oh Marta...!! Sad kisses
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

Number of posts : 2023
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   10.09.08 16:11

I am stunned! Shocked I did not see this coming, at all. Is it just me or does anyone else find it odd to make such a decision now? I can't believe Buttle is quitting competition before World's is held in Vancouver--his own country and the chance to defend his World's title. I can understand such a decision in relation to the 2010 Olymics, however. There hasn't been any indication of his feeling or intentions about this in any prior interviews or articles. This has really come out of the blue, LOL.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheena

Number of posts : 5583

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   10.09.08 16:12

Good Grief!!!! Shocked

Karen, he didn't mention it to you last week?????? :greensmilewink

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fx44

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   10.09.08 16:27

Bien que je ne sois pas fan, wouah quelle nouvelle !!!!!!!!!!!!! Il ne me semblait pas que c'était au goût du jour. Je sais qu'il en avait parlé et que il parlait de la fin de sa carrière, notamment qu'il partirait dans deux, trois saisons si je me souviens bien mais je ne pensais pas que cela serait aussi rapide. C'est vraiment une grande surprise.

Although I am not a fan, wouah which piece of news!!!!!!!!!!!!! It did not seem to me that it was with current tastes. I know that he had spoken about it and that he spoke about the end of his career, notably that he would leave in two, three seasons if I remember well but I did not think that it would be also fast. It is really a great surprise. Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fx44100.spaces.live.com
Karen
Mon ami

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   10.09.08 16:31

Sheena wrote:
Good Grief!!!! Shocked

Karen, he didn't mention it to you last week?????? :greensmilewink

LOL. No, but in retrospect he did seem awfully relaxed. Maybe he made his decision before the show and was at peace with it, knowing that he wasn't going to put himself through another ISU season.

Maybe he got an offer from Stars on Ice that he coudn't refuse.

Now...what are the chances that Sandhu will return? Suspect

Happy early birthday present, Brian! mdr
Back to top Go down
6marinka
James Bond

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   10.09.08 17:12

Karen wrote:

:lach:

Seriously, this is really surprising, but on the other hand who knows, maybe he´s really happy with what he´s achieved - a World title, an Olympic medal... And maybe he knows that with the rising standard and tight situation in the men´s field (and possible Plushenko return), he would have it mighty tough to win the Olys in Vancouver.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TWITTI
The Mission

Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   10.09.08 17:20

Quote :

I absolutely agree:)Smile

I can't find a word to say I feel...I think it is the best new I could get this week....lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brian-joubert.allgoo.net
Fx44

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   10.09.08 17:26

Karen wrote:

Je l'ai pensé mais je n'aurais osé le dire Wink Laughing Laughing lol! Cependant il n'y a pas à se réjouir de trop car il reste, et heureusement, encore beaucoup d'adversaire très sérieux à Brian.

I thought of it but I would not have dared to say it Wink Laughing Laughing lol!
However there is not to be delighted at excess because it stays and fortunately some more of very serious opponent in Brian Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fx44100.spaces.live.com
irina_something
SOS d'un terrien en detresse

Number of posts : 4437
Registration date : 2006-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   10.09.08 17:45

Ninchen wrote:
What?? Shocked I'd never expected that!!

Oh Marta...!! Sad kisses

i am also shocked by the news but not particularly upset.
but somehow nina's comment about marta just brought a smile to my face. not because i am happy that jeff retired but because i remembered the " see you friday " thing tire la langue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Karen
Mon ami

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   10.09.08 19:23

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080910.wspt_buttle0910/GSStory/GlobeSportsOther/home

Quote :
But by last month, when he saw that Buttle had been working on two new routines and that he had been working diligently on the elusive quadruple jump, he figured Buttle was here to stay.

Buttle wasn't so sure. He said after he recovered from the high of winning the world championships, he began to struggle with thoughts about his future. He felt he was satisfied and proud of what he had done, but he didn't want to make the decision in a week, so he decided that he'd go through a summer of training before he made up his mind.

Buttle said the only thing that stopped him from retiring on the spot was the lure of an Olympics in his home country.

"I just came to the conclusion that I wasn't continuing on for all the right reasons," he said. "The city that the Olympics is in shouldn't be the motivating factor. I have to feel it inside. That was the breaking point."

He felt it would be a greater shame to take away the opportunities from a strong field of upcoming male skaters in Canada. He felt he had nothing left to prove. He has already won a bronze medal at the Turin Olympics.

"The Vancouver Olympics is important to me, but winning them isn't." he said.

Quote :
About 10 days ago, his mother, Lesley, got a call from Buttle, who had been training in California. She heard a certain tone in his voice that told her something momentous was about to happen.

"You know what, mom?" he told her. "I don't want to do this."

"You mean you don't want to skate?" his mother said.

"I want to skate, but I don't want to compete," Buttle said. "My heart isn't in this. The closer I get to competition, the less passionate I am about being there."
Back to top Go down
Carol
James Bond

Number of posts : 1350
Registration date : 2007-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   10.09.08 19:38

To be honest, I've never actually liked Jeff - or rather his skating (ok, his toothpaste-commercial-like-smile annoyed me a bit too) but I must say that after reading the articles that Karen gave links to, made me think about him in much better way. You must be quite a bold person to ignore all the surrounding you pros and cons (especially the ones that Buttle had) and just follow what YOU actually need and what to do.
So if that's really what he wanted, then I think it's the right thing to do.
(and I'm not saying it because I won't miss his skating too much Wink)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://carolstime.livejournal.com
emessse
Time

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2008-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   10.09.08 20:15

maybe it won't be a present, i think Brian would have wanted to beat him
but i think Jeff will consider it again before the Olis.....maybe he's just taking a break
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

Number of posts : 2023

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   10.09.08 21:02

Quote :
maybe it won't be a present, i think Brian would have wanted to beat him

I agree with this. Brian would want to beat the current World's champion, if for no other reason than to prove to himself that he could do it, and Brian doesn't need any little nagging doubts to distract him from his upcoming tasks in the competition season ahead.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Karen
Mon ami

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   10.09.08 21:14

Let's compare their results when they skated against each other:

2002 Worlds: Brian about 15th, Buttle 8th

2003 Worlds: Buttle 14th or 15th, Brian 6th

2003 NHK Trophy: Buttle 1st, Brian 4th

2004 Worlds: Buttle (?), Brian 2nd

2004-05 GPF: Buttle 2nd, Brian 6th

2005 Worlds: Buttle 2nd, Brian 5th

2005 Trophee Bompard: Buttle 1st, Brian 2nd

2006 Olympics: Buttle 3rd, Brian 6th

2006 Worlds: Brian 2nd, Buttle 5th

2007 Worlds: Brian 1st, Buttle 5th?

2008 Worlds: Buttle 1st, Brian 2nd

I wouldn't be surprised if Brian is tired of competing against him.
Back to top Go down
Eli
Daft Punk

Number of posts : 2565

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   10.09.08 21:46

OMG Shocked I'm totally shocked!
I was not prepared for this... I really can't believe that in Gothenborg I had the only and last chance to see Jeff skating live at the competition! I'm glad I was there and though his style of skating is not my favourite I got to like him much more in Sweden when I saw him live then before... He is such a talented skater and a modest person! And besides that I'm shocked and noticing that in just 2 years there are going to be Olimpics in Canada and of course that Jeff is a current World Champion I completly agree with what Carol said:
Quote :
You must be quite a bold person to ignore all the surrounding you pros and cons (especially the ones that Buttle had) and just follow what YOU actually need and what to do.
So if that's really what he wanted, then I think it's the right thing to do.
I will miss him because he was special... I mean... not each single skater has something special about himself... he had his own style and as I've already said I really got to like him!
Oh and I'm sorry that Brian will not have a chance to beat him what I'm sure he would love to do Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anastasia
vip

Number of posts : 4091

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   11.09.08 4:05

Thanks for this news.
I also never liked Buttle,and frankly speaking i do not find anything special in him...
Heroes and fighters always aim to maximum,the others are satisfied with a little.
Jeffry luckily won in Goteborg,but he completely realises his inability to perform quads and to keep the high level of skating with stability in the future! Wink If we look through his results,we can see the inconstancy curve....It does prove that he decided to retire now,in order to avoid the shame after...As we all know,the title of the champion has 2 sides....On the one hand it's an endless delight,but on the other it is a pressure....
I am relieved,because at least the Vancouver Games seem to be fair then Wink
Anyway,i admire this Buttle's act...I suppose it was rather hard for him too,but c'est la vie...

By the way,the comparison of Brian's and Jeff's results is hilarious... mdr I also guess Brian is fed up with this routine)

Last edited by Anastasia on 11.09.08 6:49; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://brianjoubert.ruhelp.com/
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

Number of posts : 3974

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   11.09.08 6:08

Well, its a surprise. As for me, I have never been a fan, so I wont miss him. As for Brian, somehow I can imagine his upset face: "What??? He retired??? Is he afraid of being beaten or what??? grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr "
However, it is better for Vancouver Olympics, really.
And I also guess it is better for Jeff too. He is a World Champion, Olympic medallist, he really couldnt have aimed for. Except Goteborg he never really looked like he can bear the pressure, so probably it was very tiresome for him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Malgosia
vip

Number of posts : 3247

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   11.09.08 8:29

wow! that's a real shocker! Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paige
Caruso

Number of posts : 331
Registration date : 2007-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   11.09.08 9:22

omg...thanks for this shocking news. i won't miss Jeffrey because i've never liked his style. but it's such a great shock! i've never expected that he'll retire such a short time before the OG which will take place in his country.affraid
i agree with you Titi, Brian must be upset because i'm sure he wanted to beat Jeff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aquamarine
Lord of the Dance

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2007-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   11.09.08 10:35

I won't miss him because i never have been a fan of him but it is a really interesting info, thanks for the sharing... hugs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nina
vip

Number of posts : 3534
Registration date : 2006-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   11.09.08 11:09

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080910.wspt_buttle0910/GSStory/GlobeSportsOther/home

Quote :
Lesley said she would never live her life the way her son did to eventually win the world title.

"He was so obsessive with his lifestyle," she said. "He went to bed every night and he woke up at the same time every morning. He ate the same thing every day. He ate at the same time every day. New Year's Eve? He'd spend it with his mother and go to bed at 11 o'clock. Who does that when they're 25? He was very dedicated to the lifestyle.
Shocked

Quote :
What will spectators miss this season? Buttle's new long program, called Eclogue (a short pastoral poem), may have been the best of his career - but they won't see it at Skate Canada or the Canadian championships. Buttle heard the music on his iPod while driving his car.

"I immediately thought of John Curry and Brian Orser and I thought, 'Oh my god, this music is so pure and clean and it's everything I believe about in skating'," he said.

article with photos:
http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/news_views/press_room/news_releases/2008/september10.cfm

first part of his press conference:
http://www.ifsmagazine.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=710

here you can leave a message in Jeff's guestbook:
http://www.buttlebuddies.com/guestbook.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mygirl

Number of posts : 971

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   11.09.08 14:10

OMG...I'm shocked at such a turn of events. I would never have guessed that with two years to go before the Olympics in his country, Jeff would quit skating. Shocked
However, I have never been a fan of him, so I definitely won't miss his skating. But my mom will, lol!
Quote :
Happy early birthday present, Brian!
I just LOVE this comment. mdr
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Adelina
SOS d'un terrien en detresse

Number of posts : 4654
Registration date : 2006-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   12.09.08 4:06

Aquamarine wrote:
I won't miss him because i never have been a fan of him but it is a really interesting info, thanks for the sharing... hugs

I totally agree with you Pelin!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   

Back to top Go down

Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Skating General :: General Skating / Autre Patinage-
Jump to: