Brian Joubert Discussion Group

PortalHomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsLog inFacebookTwitter

Share | 

Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
lindab
Mexican Hat Dance

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2007-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   12.09.08 5:07

Hi again, I also think that jeffrey wants to get back to college to finish his studies of chemical engineering before he gets any older. He just turned 26. Plus he loves pro am type of skating where you can really pull out the artistry. He choreographed a number for Yuna Kim that is so lovely. Jeffrey is really a genuine sweet guy. I wish him the best and I also wish Brian the best. Now, is ol Plushenko coming back? I hope not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leki
James Bond

Number of posts : 1223
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   12.09.08 7:29

Blue Bead wrote:
Quote :
maybe it won't be a present, i think Brian would have wanted to beat him

I agree with this. Brian would want to beat the current World's champion, if for no other reason than to prove to himself that he could do it, and Brian doesn't need any little nagging doubts to distract him from his upcoming tasks in the competition season ahead.

Mary C.
I just read about his retirement this morning. Shocked
I agree, I believe that Brian would have wanted a battle with him.
Now there's no reigning world champion, so strange.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nona
SOS d'un terrien en detresse

Number of posts : 4751
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   12.09.08 12:07

Shocked What a news!!

Quote :
maybe it won't be a present, i think Brian would have wanted to beat him

Yes defenitely!!! and maybe the pressure would be to high for Jeff during the olympics... who knows..

lindab
Mexican Hat Dance

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   12.09.08 23:07

Wow, it sounds like there is hate for Jeffrey here. What a shame. I like so many skaters and enjoy their differences. I enjoy so many styles too. They all worked so hard and for so many years. Why can't we all appreciate what they bring to the rink and not talk "smack" about them? Smack is when you talk bad about them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7_zf-NlNKM Here is jeffrey doing a quad combo for those who thought he never did one. Pretty good for a kid who has a bad back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

Number of posts : 4437
Registration date : 2006-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   13.09.08 0:05

linda, i think we all appreciate what hard work a life of a skater can be. but they can't all be our favorites. and sometimes it is fun to make jokes about the adversaries.
take me for instance, i appreciate what lambiel can do on the ice but it just is fun to make fun of him. i'm not mean, i wish him well ( up to a point Razz ) and i get what hard work he does just like any other skater.
and some styles of skating i just don't like but this does not mean i have something personally against that skater. i hope i made sense and you understood what i mean.

irina bisousfleurs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carol
James Bond

Number of posts : 1350
Registration date : 2007-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   13.09.08 0:16

Lindab, if 'I won't miss his skating' is equal for you with hatred, then I think we have way different point of view on what hate means.
First of all, all our negative feelings (reminding you that no one here used the word 'hate') are towards his style, not Jeff himself. We don't know him, so we have no right to say such things.
And secondly, I'd like to point here two things: people have different taste, and not everyone said that he's not unhappy that Jeff's retiring, hello! Look at Eli's post for instance, or even mine - where I said that I admire him for taking such a decision.
I also don't agree with all the statements here (for example I haven't thought for a second of Brian when I was reading all this Jeffrey stuff and I could never come to a conclusion that it's a shame he's retiring, because Brian won't have a chance to beat him. Maybe I'm just overreacting, but I think that more important thing is one's great change of life than someone else's will to beat him), but see, it's how everyone has a different way of thinking and how he likes other things, so the fact that so many people don't like the way of Jeff's skating may come from that we're used to and like other types - like Brian's, for instance.
So there's no need for any offence Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://carolstime.livejournal.com
Blue Bead
vip

Number of posts : 2023

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   13.09.08 0:43

Quote :
Wow, it sounds like there is hate for Jeffrey here. What a shame. I like so many skaters and enjoy their differences. I enjoy so many styles too. They all worked so hard and for so many years. Why can't we all appreciate what they bring to the rink and not talk "smack" about them? Smack is when you talk bad about them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7_zf-NlNKM Here is jeffrey doing a quad combo for those who thought he never did one. Pretty good for a kid who has a bad back.

lindab...I don't think anyone here is dishing smack about Jeffery, at all, let alone that they "hate" him. Each one of us has a different opinion on his situation and his ability to compete and his style. I'm sorry you have interpreted the posts here in that fashion. Some of our members can make strong remarks, at times, LOL. Many posters simply do not relate to Jeff's style of skating but that's what makes the sport of figure skating so unique; there's something for everyone. Many of our members don't relate to Johnny Weir's style, either, which isn't too much different to that of Buttle. Yes, off-hand, somewhat derrogatory comments have, inadvertantly, been made about Jeffery, but the same is true for every other competitor in the men's singles field. These same kinds of things also occur at the vast majority of the other fan forums. Everone is entitled to their personal opinions just as you are with your comments in regard to what has been said about Jeffery.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sandra
Untouchable

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2007-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   13.09.08 6:00

I have to say, I'm not a big fan of Buttle either, but that doesn't mean he's not a great sportsman... Won't he still do shows? In that case it's quite smart to stop at a hight point I suppose...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.kevinvanderperren.tk
Sheena

Number of posts : 5583

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   13.09.08 13:38

Worlds 2008 was the first time that I saw Jeff Buttle skate "live" and, having heard/read so much about him, I was left rather scratch?? There again, it would have been difficult for anyone to live up to much of the hype surrounding him on some skating boards!

Personally, I think Jeff has made a smart decision - I doubt if he would ever have another competition like worlds 2008 & he is wise to go out now, leaving Patrick Chan carrying the burden of being the big Canadian male skater hope at Vancouver (shades of Brian Orser in 1988?)

Of the top male skaters, I think that Chan is the only one to be really affected by this action......

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   13.09.08 13:49

i for one don't get the hype around chan. i much rather watch jeff then chan.

sheena, i remember you saying you are curious to see what the talk is all about when we were in goteborg. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheena

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   13.09.08 14:12

I think that Chan is amazing for his age but he is still rather 'bland' (to my disappointment, I found the entire Canadian team at Worlds rather bland - with the exception of Scott Moir during gala practice!!)

Linda - I don't want you to think that I 'hate' Jeff, I don't but (to my disappointment) he just didn't do anything for me as a skater. I'm glad that you & many others enjoyed Jeff's skating & will continue to do so in shows - & I wish Jeff all the best in whatever he does in the future.

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   13.09.08 15:53

sheena, did you not like tessa and scott's free program??? i loved it almost as much as the i loved scott during gala practice Razz )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eli
Daft Punk

Number of posts : 2565

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   13.09.08 16:35

Quote :
I haven't thought for a second of Brian when I was reading all this Jeffrey stuff and I could never come to a conclusion that it's a shame he's retiring, because Brian won't have a chance to beat him.

As for me I didn't mean that I WANT Brian to beat Jeff... I'm just sure that Brian would like to beat the current World Champion Wink

Quote :
sheena, did you not like tessa and scott's free program??? i loved it almost as much as the i loved scott during gala practice )
I'm not Sheena but I loved Scott's both sides Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
humming bird
Le Blues du Businessman

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2006-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   13.09.08 16:39

That was a veeeery shocking news indeed affraid
At first I couldn't quite understand why he made such a decision. But... well... ok that's his choice.
As for Nina's 'Oh, poor Marta' all I can say is that I've always preffered his Galas to his programs so I'm doing fine Razz:P
But Jeff will be missed, as you said girls, there is something special about him (even without the quad Wink)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

Number of posts : 3974

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   13.09.08 18:46

Well, Lindab, Im also sorry that you understood our comments as if we were hating Jeff. I can say its not the case. Sense of humour of our members is different (Im myself more the morbid and ironic one, LOL) and we could have made some spicy comments on Jeffs style, but in general I could say the BJDG is a very friendly and supportive community. Of course, our opinions on other skaters differ (for example, Im not into Jeff and Lambiel, but like Verner and Weir, while someone loves Jeff more, and not Weir which is just fine), but I never felt any bad athmosphere of bashing here...

:grouphug2: :heartbjdg2:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gislaine
The Boss

Number of posts : 13307
Registration date : 2006-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   13.09.08 19:51

Linda, we have every of favourite skaters, some people like Weir (for my part I appreciate it since I have it in TEB in 2003, Alban, sometimes Verner of other instant not everything depends on his programmes, Voronov and Griazev) other members Lambiel, Zalenka, Alban etc.. For my part, Jeff's skating does not move me besides measure on the contrary I was very surprised of its decision to retire one year before JO at home.. I think that he is going to participate in SOI and CSOI..

Gislaine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheena

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   14.09.08 12:15

irina_something wrote:
sheena, did you not like tessa and scott's free program??? i loved it almost as much as the i loved scott during gala practice Razz )

I knew it was very good, but it just didn't move me (like Isobel & Olivier) or excite me (like the Kerrs) - in fact I don't remember any of it at all now...... hide8up Embarassed

Back to top Go down
View user profile
6marinka
James Bond

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   14.09.08 15:33

Sheena wrote:
irina_something wrote:

I knew it was very good, but it just didn't move me (like Isobel & Olivier) or excite me (like the Kerrs) - in fact I don't remember any of it at all now...... hide8up Embarassed

Exactly the same here... hide8up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zandor
Daft Punk

Number of posts : 2942
Registration date : 2006-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   14.09.08 15:40

The same here too...

irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   14.09.08 16:54

well, here we go. this is a very good example of how people feel very differently about the same thing they witnessed much like it is with jeff's skating.

i was in tears when the free program of tessa and scoot finished. and so was marta and malgosia.
but i am happy we are all in agreement about scott joining the syncro team lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

Number of posts : 3974

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   14.09.08 18:59

irina_something wrote:

but i am happy we are all in agreement about scott joining the syncro team lol!

His face expression was priceless! :lach:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheena

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   15.09.08 13:52

irina_something wrote:
well, here we go. this is a very good example of how people feel very differently about the same thing they witnessed much like it is with jeff's skating.

Our differences are what make life interesting!.....

Back to top Go down
View user profile
6marinka
James Bond

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   15.09.08 14:10

Sheena wrote:
irina_something wrote:

Our differences are what make life interesting!.....

Exactly! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lindab
Mexican Hat Dance

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   15.09.08 17:21

Hi everyone, I guess I was being way too sensitive when I wrote that about folks talking bad about Jeffrey Buttle. I have been in a terrible frame of mind lately. My husband just had a pacemaker put into his heart. I almost lost him. He is doing well now. I know we all have our fav skaters. I'm just upset that he retired. I loved his style so much. With Chan next in line for Canada, I know he is good but he doesn't have the artistry and footwork or low sit spins that jeff has. So anyway, I will be rooting for Brian, Vaughn C of canada even though he has such a long ways to go, and a few others. Bye for now, I have to get to work. {I'm a school bus driver]. Linda
Back to top Go down
View user profile
6marinka
James Bond

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   15.09.08 18:54

I´m glad, Linda, that your husband is doing better now. And I´m glad you understood that we are no bashing and unfriendly folks here Smile
Wishing you all the best bisousfleurs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!   

Back to top Go down

Jeff Buttle has suddenly retired from skating?!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Skating General :: General Skating / Autre Patinage-
Jump to: