Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Staviski has to go to jail....   05.01.09 12:42

No

Quote :
Figure skating-Staviski jailed over drunk-driving death
SOFIA, Jan 5 (Reuters) - Bulgarian former world ice dance
champion Maxim Staviski was sentenced to 2-1/2 years in prison
after a drunk-driving crash that killed a man and left a young
woman in coma, an appeals court decided on Monday.
A year ago, Staviski, 31, was given a suspended 2-1/2 year
jail sentence but prosecutors appealed saying there were no
mitigating circumstances.
Russian-born Staviski was charged in 2007 over the death of
the 24-year-old amateur boxer Petar Petrov. He was over the
alcohol limit when his Jeep collided with two other vehicles
near the Black Sea town of Primorsko.
Staviski, one of the most popular athletes in Bulgaria, and
his partner Albena Denkova claimed the Balkan country's first
world title in Calgary in 2006 before successfully defending the
crown the following year.
National radio quoted Staviski's lawyer as saying the
court's verdict was "unfair" and his client would appeal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something
SOS d'un terrien en detresse

Number of posts : 4437
Registration date : 2006-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Staviski has to go to jail....   05.01.09 13:07

even if i love albena and maxim as a figure skaters, there are my second ever ice dance pair after gwendal and marina, i think some jail time is only fair if you kill someone. it might sound strange but i think that it also helps the quilty one to relieve some of the guilt after the sorrow caused. if you know you paid at least a little for what you did i think it makes living with it a little easier.
i wish maxin the mental and physical strength he needs during such moments.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

Number of posts : 3974

PostSubject: Re: Staviski has to go to jail....   05.01.09 16:07

You are right, Irina. I feel so sorry for Maxim and Albena, but not because he has to go to jail but because it all happened. It must be terrible to live with the feeling you killed someone... I cant even imagine this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
emessse
Time

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2008-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Staviski has to go to jail....   05.01.09 17:42

irina_something wrote:
even if i love albena and maxim as a figure skaters, there are my second ever ice dance pair after gwendal and marina, i think some jail time is only fair if you kill someone. it might sound strange but i think that it also helps the quilty one to relieve some of the guilt after the sorrow caused. if you know you paid at least a little for what you did i think it makes living with it a little easier.
i wish maxin the mental and physical strength he needs during such moments.
i totally agree Irina, i also love Maxim but he was too hot- blooded.......he needs for his life to calm down and he has to learn to live with this guilt.....because he is guilty
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Adelina

Number of posts : 4654
Registration date : 2006-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Staviski has to go to jail....   05.01.09 17:54

I agree with you ladies!

Sad I'm sorry for what happend to them but he must pay for what he did .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
6marinka
James Bond

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Staviski has to go to jail....   06.01.09 21:17

I agree with all of you on this, although I do feel sorry for it has happened. But justice has to count for everyone - whether famous or ordinary man. I hope both Maxim & Albena will have the mental strength to hold on and go on after those 2 and 1/2 years..... Keeping my fingers crossed for them....

Michelle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ekaterina
Lord of the Dance

Number of posts : 1935

PostSubject: Re: Staviski has to go to jail....   07.01.09 22:03

So, there is justice...

I wonder what his lawyer meant by 'unfair'. To kill an 18-year old, cripple an innocent girl and get off with a fine? Sit out for a year and take part in an entertainment show on Russian TV? It makes me sick, sick to my core, and I have no pity for him. The jury shouldn't turn a blind eye to what he's done just because he's a celebrity. That is the only unfair thing here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soraya
Love's divine

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2007-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Staviski has to go to jail....   07.01.09 22:28

I´m happy that he go to the jail, but i believe that it´s few time Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

Number of posts : 2023

PostSubject: Re: Staviski has to go to jail....   08.01.09 0:52

Justice has been served, that's what counts. Plus, it would be important, when he is released, that he will never drink and drive again, and will work to counsel others who still get behind the wheel of a car, drunk as a skunk. However, does anyone know how this sentence compares to non-celebrities who have received prison terms for the same crime in Bulgaria? I seem to recall having read recently (and I can't recall where or I'd provide a link to it) that other people who have had sentences handed down by the courts did not have to serve quite as much time as Staviski got. I've gotten the impression that the Bulgarian Court gave him a substantial sentence to make an example out of him, and it that sense, this might not be considered as the fairest sentence in the eyes of some people when compared against sentences of this type as a whole.

I guess my question is---is it proper to make an example out of a celebrity simply because he is a celebrity and he screwed up, killing and maiming someone, when other people didn't get the same severe sentence? Or is this totally appropriate because he is a famous person? I'd like to open this up for discussion and would like to read everyone's opinion on this.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

Number of posts : 4437
Registration date : 2006-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Staviski has to go to jail....   08.01.09 1:40

i have no idea what the law in bulgaria is but if 2 years time for one life taken it's a lot in general, they have some law issues over there. that is not to say that in romania we don't have this issues too. until now at least 2 well know people have gotten away with nothing but a slap on the hand after killing someone in a car crush.

on the other idea, i believe of course that celebrities are people like anyone else and they have to receive the punishment fitted to the crime according to the law. not more nor less. i don't think that making a celebrity an example can change anything in the mind of other people. the only thing he could do, is what you said mary , he can talk to others and tell them about how he ended up in such situation. but i think he can only do that when and if he comes to terms with what he did and what happened to him, those around him and all the lives that he altered.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ekaterina
Lord of the Dance

Number of posts : 1935

PostSubject: Re: Staviski has to go to jail....   08.01.09 10:37

Mary C., I don't know how things are done in Bulgaria, but someone from the FSU or Golden Skate mentioned death penalty for similar crimes. So, 2 1/2 years does not seem to be such a long term.

Recently, though, in my hometown there's been a similar DUI case with a celebrity who crushed the warning sign and ran over the roadworkers. Three were killed, the story - covered up by the local authorities, and the culprit got off with one year conditionally. Plus, somehow he got to keep his driving licence Shocked Of course, we can compare Staviski's case with that. Still, one unfair thing doesn't make another unfair thing seem more fair. I'm not saying capital punishment is the only right solution, but personally, I would prefer longer terms, so that innocent people do not feel threatened by someone as arrogant as Staviski who might be the reason of their premature demise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Malgosia
vip

Number of posts : 3247

PostSubject: Re: Staviski has to go to jail....   18.01.09 13:57

Ladies - I agree with all your comments.
To my amazement I read there is a petition against the sentence: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fre-maxim-staviski.html which I find ridiculous:
Quote :
In our view, the court must be that very institution which, in all its strictness and fairness saves, not destroys human lives.

According to the article here -> http://www.bgnewsnet.com/story.php?lang=en&sid=23622 So far 2 300 people have signed it. No
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: Staviski has to go to jail....   18.01.09 16:36

Quote :
According to the article here -> http://www.bgnewsnet.com/story.php?lang=en&sid=23622 So far 2 300 people have signed it.

That's just sad. I guess each one of those 2300 people who signed this dumb petition don't value the life of the man who was killed. I wonder what they do value? Granted, life in prison will certainly not be easy for him and will probably damage him psychologically to a great extent but prison is designed to act as a deterrant for those people who insist on committing major crimes.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Adelina

Number of posts : 4654
Registration date : 2006-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Staviski has to go to jail....   19.01.09 15:50

Quote :
According to the article here -> http://www.bgnewsnet.com/story.php?lang=en&sid=23622 So far 2 300 people have signed it.
Really!?!
I agree with Mary
Quote :
I guess each one of those 2300 people who signed this dumb petition don't value the life of the man who was killed

I like Maxim but still I think that is fair to pay for what he did.

Quote :
i have no idea what the law in bulgaria is but if 2 years time for one life taken it's a lot in general, they have some law issues over there. that is not to say that in romania we don't have this issues too. until now at least 2 well know people have gotten away with nothing but a slap on the hand after killing someone in a car crush.
That's true! If Maxim was from here I think he could escape just if he gave some money to the relatives or something like that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Malgosia
vip

Number of posts : 3247

PostSubject: Re: Staviski has to go to jail....   14.05.09 13:17

A little update:

He got suspended sentence (five years' probation) silent
http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=799506&BCCode=BNNATION
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: Staviski has to go to jail....   14.05.09 16:05

Thanks, Malgosia, for posting the link.

5 years' probation. Shocked What the hell?!! I wonder who he bribed to get this reduction in his sentence and how much he had to pay out to get it. None of this makes any sense, at all.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Staviski has to go to jail....   

Back to top Go down

Staviski has to go to jail....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Skating General :: General Skating / Autre Patinage-
Jump to: