Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Titanilla
Ces soirťes-lŗ

Number of posts : 3974
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: My interview with Alban   02.02.09 12:31

I dont know when this interview will be published on AS, so until then I would be glad if it stayed here in the restricted area. Thank you very much! I hope you will like it, he talks about Brian a lot! With great admiration!

Alban Preaubert: ďI skate for my own pleasure, not for the resultsĒ

By Titanilla Bőd

He had two clean programs in Helsinki at the Europeans, but he finished only fifth. After the final pose of his long program he shouted of joy, but he quickly got back to the real cruel world after seeing his score. Anyway, Alban Preaubert is satisfied with his own performance and although he doesnít understand why he got such a low score he says, he couldnít have done better.

Are you satisfied with your performances in Helsinki?

Yes I am, and Iím very proud of myself. It wasnít easy, there was a lot of pressure. I knew I could medal, I had one of the top scores in the European field, so I expected many things from this competition. My goal was to skate very well, and in this way I have nothing to regret, because thatís what I did. I skated very clean in the short program, I skated clean in the free program. I did the quad, seven triples, I couldnít do much more. So Iím very happy about my performance, but Iím very frustrated because of the result. I thought this would be enough for a medal, but it wasnít.

What do you think might have been the problem with the judges? It wasnít the only competition when it seemed your score is too low.

I donít know, I donít understand. My components used to be quite low compared with my opponentsí, but it was fair back then, because I used to be a very good, consistent jumper, but not a very artistic skater. However, I worked a lot on this aspect of my skating and I skate better now, I have better edges, better posture, everybody told me that Ė but anyway, my components are even lower than before, so Iím quite surprised about that. I think with such low components itís impossible to medal, even though I skated my best. I donít understand this but I donít regret anything because I did the best I can.

When you enter the ice, do you want to entertain the audience or are you concentrating on the victory? What are your goals right there?

I want to have pleasure, to have fun. If I have fun, the audience can see it and they have fun with me. I think this is the most important. Fortunately I skate for my own pleasure, not for the results. Itís much better like this, because if it was the opposite, then I would be very-very disappointed today, because I think I was able to medal, but anyway I did my best, so Iím proud of me and I have no regrets. It was a good competition here in Helsinki.

At first we remembered you by your funny programs, such as Busy Bee, now you are also presenting some more serious programs. Which style do you feel most comfortable with?

The best for me is humor, I like to play, to joke in my programs. But I think it is also very important to show something else, I want to show the audience and the judges that I can skate to every kind of music. I try to do something different, maybe something more polished, more classical. Maybe my program this year wasnít too classical either, but I think itís good to show many ways of skating. Of course I like humor, so maybe later I will go back to humorous programs.

You are French, but this year you skated to Russian music ďKalinkaĒ. Why did you choose it?

Itís a tribute to my former coach, Elena Issatchenko. I began to skate with her, she taught me the joy of skating. Unfortunately she passed away two years ago. She always spoke about this music and she thought I could skate well to this music. I decided to give her a tribute by skating to this music. Unfortunately I couldnít do it when she was still alive, but Iím sure she is proud of me today. This music helps me a lot, almost every time I skate to it in an international competition, it is a very good performance, so, Iím sure itís thanks to her.

So hopefully she will help you in the forthcoming competitions, too.

Unfortunately Iím not sure if I go to Worlds, because France has only two spots. Brian will go for sure, and the federation has to decide between me and Yannick, who was fourth here. Maybe we will have a test, I hope so, but this is not sure. [The French federation in the end decided to send Brian Joubert and Yannick Ponsero to the Worlds, according to their results at the Europeans.] Anyway, I will continue practicing as Iím going to the Universiad. I hope to win a medal at this competition. And why not win the title? It would be great. And if Yannick goes to Worlds I really hope he will skate well and we will have three spots next year.

What do you think why the menís skating in France is so strong?

We have a really good team and itís mainly thanks to Brian, because he is our leader, he is very-very strong. I have the chance to train with him during the summer and he helps me to improve. We know that he is a leader in the world and we know that to be very good at the world rankings, we have to be at his level. He is an example for us, he has a fighting spirit and a very good competition spirit, so we try to learn a lot from him. I think thatís why we have such a strong team with Yannick, Florent Amodiou, the winner of Junior Grand Prix Final. Also Contesti was part of our team some years ago. This is a really good team, we can improve together and we push each other to better performances.

You have beaten Brian two times in this season, at French Masters and TEB. What does winning over him mean to you?

It was good for me of course, but the important thing wasnít to beat Brian but to skate clean. If I can win against Brian, it means I can win against almost every competitor in the world, so it was very good for me to know that. It gave me some confidence, I know I can be a strong competitor. Anyway I also know that if he is surpassing, then he is better than me and anyone in the world and I hope he will be surpassing also at the Worlds.

Could you describe a competition day of yours, what are you doing until you get on the ice?

I wake up, I just have a breakfast and take the shuttle to the practice. After the practice I come back to the hotel, I eat and I sleep for one hour, but not much more, because if I sleep more then Iím too sleepy for the rest of the day. Even if Iím very tired, Iím careful not to sleep longer, so I put on the alarm. Then I just watch a movie, talk with my friends from the French team to have fun and to relax. Of course Iím very stressed because itís an important competition and everyone has big expectations, but I try to forget that and just to enjoy the competition. Itís an honour to be here, many skaters would love to be here, itís a chance for us to compete, so I just think about how lucky I am to be here. It helps me to forget the pressure and to be much more relaxed. Then I go to the rink and warm up again, one hour before the competition. We often try to laugh with Brian about the pressure. We are both stressed but we try to make jokes about it. We see in the dressing room that many guys are also stressed but we try to forget it.

When you are on the ice and you land the first jump flawlessly, does it mean that everything will go on great from that moment or do you still have to fight for each element?

I still have to concentrate, but this year it really worked: each time I landed the quad, I landed everything. So I was very happy to land the quad again, but I had to be careful for the rest of the program. I know every element is difficult, every jump, every spin, every step, everything counts a lot. So even if I land the quad I have to know it wasnít all and I have to be focused during the whole program. Thatís what I managed to do here and Iím very happy about that.

What is your favourite element?

Iím very proud of the quad, because not many skaters can land it in a competition, and this year I landed it in every international competition. Iím very happy about it, especially because it wasnít my best jump at the practice during October and November. It was very difficult for me that time, but anyway I landed it at TEB and Cup of Russia. I also landed it here but it was easier for me at the practice, so now I was more confident about this jump. But I think my best jump is the loop, I like it very much, and I hope to try the quad loop in a competition one time.

Last edited by Titanilla on 02.02.09 13:21; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leki
James Bond

Number of posts : 1223
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: My interview with Alban   02.02.09 13:11

This is one of the most interesting interviews with figure skaters I've ever read, Titi. Your questions are very well thought out and Alban has given some excellent answers as well (very smart and very sweet)
Thank you for sharing this with us
I love you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something
SOS d'un terrien en detresse

Number of posts : 4437
Registration date : 2006-07-28

PostSubject: Re: My interview with Alban   02.02.09 13:40

what a great interview. alban seemed really opened to the questions. i think he is a great guy, even if i am not the biggest fan of his skating.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sevda
Ces soirťes-lŗ

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2007-05-12

PostSubject: Re: My interview with Alban   02.02.09 15:35

thank you so much titi Smile for the interview
Back to top Go down
View user profile
6marinka
James Bond

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: My interview with Alban   02.02.09 18:07

Wow! Titi, thank you so much, this is and interesting and lovely interview indeed Very Happy I always knew Alban is a nice, hardworking and modest guy and this interview only confirmed it! Btw. really nice questions :super:

Michelle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anastasia
vip

Number of posts : 4091

PostSubject: Re: My interview with Alban   03.02.09 4:35

Great interview,Titi!!!
Thank you very much for sharing!
You know,i asked Alban the same question during the press-conference at TEB about
"what does it mean for him to beat his team mate Brian Joubert 2 times: at Masters and at TEB" and the answer was the same Smile I liked it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://brianjoubert.ruhelp.com/
toutou
Empress of Image

Number of posts : 2447
Registration date : 2006-11-29

PostSubject: Re: My interview with Alban   03.02.09 12:11

Quote :
I donít understand this but I donít regret anything because I did the best I can.
Yes, Alban !! You did !! :super: ... but I still can't understand his score of EURO.. No
Quote :
Iím very proud of the quad, because not many skaters can land it in a competition, and this year I landed it in every international competition.
YEEESS !! Alban !! You did !! :super:
Quote :
I want to have pleasure, to have fun. If I have fun, the audience can see it and they have fun with me. I think this is the most important.
Quote :
We have a really good team and itís mainly thanks to Brian, because he is our leader, he is very-very strong. I have the chance to train with him during the summer and he helps me to improve. We know that he is a leader in the world and we know that to be very good at the world rankings, we have to be at his level. He is an example for us, he has a fighting spirit and a very good competition spirit, so we try to learn a lot from him. I think thatís why we have such a strong team with Yannick, Florent Amodiou, the winner of Junior Grand Prix Final. Also Contesti was part of our team some years ago. This is a really good team, we can improve together and we push each other to better performances.
I love these comments. that's ALBAN !!!! and that's why I love France team !! ...BTW I didn't know why he chose the Russian song...he has so warm heart... I can understand he has many fans Very Happy... Thank you for letting us know it, Titi.

Thanks again, Titi !!!! it's one of the super interview which I ever read !!!! indeed !!!! bisousfleurs bisousfleurs bisousfleurs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eli
Daft Punk

Number of posts : 2565

PostSubject: Re: My interview with Alban   03.02.09 13:50

THANK YOU Titi for sharing this interview with us! bisousfleurs
It was sooooo interesting to read! Like a good book Wink
I like your questioned and Alban's long answers.
Most of the interviews, no matter with who... are quite boring after a few questions.
But not yours! Congrats my dear! You've got a real talent!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leni
Matrix

Number of posts : 3121
Registration date : 2006-07-01

PostSubject: Re: My interview with Alban   03.02.09 14:18

I love your interviews Titi!! You are brilliant and you really have a talent! clap
I like Alban very much and I enjoyed every single question and answer of this interview, it was very interesting!! :super:
Thank you very very much for sharing it with us! bisousfleurs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
humming bird
Le Blues du Businessman

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2006-06-14

PostSubject: Re: My interview with Alban   03.02.09 15:10

surely, I'm joining the group of people praising your intervew Titi Smile it's fantastic! great questions and answers. the part where Alban admits that by him Brian is the best in the world was very... uhm... I don't know how to call it... touching? well definitely if I were Brian I would be moved by such words Wink
thanks Titi!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirťes-lŗ

PostSubject: Re: My interview with Alban   03.02.09 15:46

Thank you ladies, Im flattered Embarassed , as in fact I never feel Im asking something special. I still think interview is my weakest journalistic genre. Well, maybe its not the case with figure skaters hide8up, but with some other sportsman.

Actually I was very moved how Alban talked about his former coach. At that part I could feel how much he loves her and it was really touching. And when he spoke about Brian... I know its weird but I was just...proud mdr Proud of Brian and also Alban and the whole French team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheena

Number of posts : 5583

PostSubject: Re: My interview with Alban   03.02.09 16:43

Thanks for sharing yet another smashing interview Titi!

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gislaine
The Boss

Number of posts : 13331
Registration date : 2006-06-10

PostSubject: Re: My interview with Alban   03.02.09 16:58

Great article thank a lot Titi bisousfleurs .

Gislaine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
6marinka
James Bond

PostSubject: Re: My interview with Alban   03.02.09 19:36

Titanilla wrote:
Actually I was very moved how Alban talked about his former coach. At that part I could feel how much he loves her and it was really touching. And when he spoke about Brian... I know its weird but I was just...proud mdr Proud of Brian and also Alban and the whole French team.

It was really touching, indeed I love you
And as for being proud of them Very Happy you hit the nail on the head. I LOVE the spirit in the French team, they are so supportive of eachother and the fact which I probably love the most is that they all see Brian as the TEAMLEADER :greensmilewink (for the sportsman he is but I think also for the kind of person he is)
And donīt be too modest, girl, your interviews with skaters really ARE GREAT! :super: (I would say your love to this sport plays a big part in it Very Happy)

Michelle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirťes-lŗ

PostSubject: Re: My interview with Alban   03.02.09 19:41

Dont mention the word TEAMLEADER, please!!!! mdr I always have to arrange the interviews with the French teamleader (something like the manager of the team) and this time I failed... (Although she is a nice lady.) Lets say: leader of the team. I can accept it. mdr
Back to top Go down
View user profile
6marinka
James Bond

PostSubject: Re: My interview with Alban   03.02.09 19:44

Oooops, did I really use that word?hide8up ...wonīt happen again :greensmilewink
:lach:

Michelle

P.S. You know what I ment with it Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
quintia
Matrix

Number of posts : 3229

PostSubject: Re: My interview with Alban   03.02.09 23:22

Titi, thanks so much for posting this interview with Alban. I really enjoyed reading it. Smile

Despite the judges' bad scoring at Euros, I'm very proud of Alban. He did well. Drapeau
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carol
James Bond

Number of posts : 1350
Registration date : 2007-01-17

PostSubject: Re: My interview with Alban   04.02.09 20:26

I read the interview as soon as you published it, I just needed some time to write a suitable comment, not something I came up with in a few seconds.

I loved your idea of interviewing Alban when you wrote to me about it and I was very very eager to see what came from that idea. The press concentrates too much on other French skater, so Al gets so little attention and that's why there aren't too many interviews with him.
Anyway (big anyway mdr). I liked very much both the questions and answers. I especially liked your question about his typical competition day - I always love to see or read about the behind the scenes facts - they give much more than what we can only see on the screen of the tv (and it also explaines how come was it possible that he was online on the day of men sp mdr).
What I admire in him most, and what your interview only strengthened, is his way of taking things that happen to him. He's first - he emphasises that Brian is still the best. He's hurt with the scores - he says he does it for the joy of skating and competing. He gives his best and still lands far from the podium - he says he's just proud of himself.
I just wish every competitor had this attitude.

Thank you a lot for sharing this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://carolstime.livejournal.com
Blue Bead
vip

Number of posts : 2023

PostSubject: Re: My interview with Alban   04.02.09 21:15

Titi.....This is a wonderful interview with Alban. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nicole90
Time

Number of posts : 807
Registration date : 2007-11-09

PostSubject: Re: My interview with Alban   05.02.09 15:48

A huge thank you Titi for your interview. This is the most interesting one I have ever read about Alban! Well done. cheers
I totally share Alban's feelings about his scores. It was sooo unfair.
And I especially like the way that he speaks about Brian. As if he was his brother not his opponent.
And can I ask something Titi?
Did you make your riport with Alban in English or in French?
I have heard Alban speaking in English but to be slight he can't speak it very well.
Or do work with an inerpreter?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirťes-lŗ

PostSubject: Re: My interview with Alban   05.02.09 16:07

I spoke with him in English, and I think its fairly good! Just once he was funny when he talked about his previous coach:

Alban: "She thau.... though... teached... errr...."
Me: "Taught"
Alban: [wide smile] "She taught me the joy of skating"

:lach:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nicole90
Time

Number of posts : 807
Registration date : 2007-11-09

PostSubject: Re: My interview with Alban   05.02.09 16:16

I see. Maybe his English has improved since last time I heard him.

This "taught" must have been funny. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
6marinka
James Bond

PostSubject: Re: My interview with Alban   05.02.09 18:44

Titanilla wrote:

Alban: "She thau.... though... teached... errr...."
Me: "Taught"
Alban: [wide smile] "She taught me the joy of skating"

:lach: :lach: Absolutely brilliant! So cute mdr

Michelle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mygirl

Number of posts : 971

PostSubject: Re: My interview with Alban   11.02.09 15:47

Thank you for posting this interview, Titi! It was a joy to read it. sunny Well, it couldn't have been the other way round because your interviews are always of a paramount quality. white bunny

I guess I haven't written it anywhere here, but Euros in Helsinki was the first time I saw Alnan's SP and I was greatly impressed by it somehow. Yeah, but the SP, not by the long one.
I think the main reason why Alban doesn't get rewarded for what he does is that he is a bit sloppy when it comes to executing elements. He is definitely cute, entertaining and so on, but let's face it, he is sloppy... well, charmingly sloppy... And don't kill me for those words, guys. I didn't mean to hurt anybody's feelings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Malgosia
vip

Number of posts : 3247

PostSubject: Re: My interview with Alban   11.02.09 21:36

I haven't visited private videos thread for quite some time and what a surprise to discover an interview here!!!! :faint18x19wy5: and what an intervew that is!
*Titi do you prefer to leave it here as it is or to be moved to General Skating thread? I think it deserves more exposure!*

Thank you so much for posting! hugs
This was pure joy to read - especially that Alban doesn't get that much od media attention (in comparison to Brian).
I like Alban's humble, down-to-earth attitude. He is such a great person.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My interview with Alban   

Back to top Go down

My interview with Alban
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Skating General :: General Skating / Autre Patinage-
Jump to: