Matters of Judging

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blue Bead
vip

Number of posts : 2023
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Matters of Judging   20.04.09 15:37

The ISU has quietly instituted a major change to the way judging will be handled for the up-coming Olympics and, perhaps, future Olys.

http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090419.wsptsktg19/GSStory/GlobeSportsOther/home

This is a real eye-opener and should be read closely to fully understand what all the ISU is setting up. It is not necessarily good.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheena

Number of posts : 5583

PostSubject: Re: Matters of Judging   20.04.09 16:00

http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=1427

New guidelines from ISU on GOE & levels.

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: the Globe and Mail article   21.04.09 19:09

A lot of what is presented in Beverly Smith's article bothers me. The ISU's governing board has changed the number of judges who will decide the results of the Olympic figure skating competitions. This number has been lowerd to just five judges! This, IMHO, is a dangerous move because it facilitates easier bloc judging which can skew the results by manipulating the GOEs the individual judges award to each skater from particular countries. However, this is only one of the bad outcomes from this judging change.

Quotes from the article:

Quote :
A U.S. statistician and figure skating enthusiast, George Rossano, says if one of those five judges offers a single bad mark — whether it be by mistake, misconduct, incompetence or national bias — the importance of the mark is increased by 40 per cent "since a bad mark will now be one of five instead of one in seven."

Quote :
He said a judge can create a one-point change between two rivals by manipulating the presentation marks alone.

Judges may also skew marks by more than three points by using the grade of execution marks they give for technical elements, too, he says. Final results are often determined by less than three points.

This would allow a less-than-honest judge to sway the results permitting his "preferred" skater to garner more points than the skater whom he don't want to medal. Rossano goes on to state that it is highly possible for bloc of judges to turn what should be a slim margin into a major one, thereby, insuring that the skater whom they wish to medal, does so.

According to the article, the ISU alleges that they have made this change to "save money." Now, who in their right mind really thinks that is true, LOL. I certainly don't. My greatest fear is that there will be a repeat performance of the 2002 Olympic judging scandal. This judging change certainly ups the chances that such an repeat event could occur.

To those who may think none of this is important, note that the member federations had no say in any of this because the ISU gained the right to make these kinds of changes at the 2006 governing board congress. Little did the turkeys who voted for that realize what they were allowing the ISU officials to do...or maybe, they did know which makes the whole situation even worse. There is no opportunity for the member federations to vote this judging change out because they won't meet again until after the 2010 Olympics! I find it highly suspicious that the ISU made this change, knowing full well that the member federations could do nothing to rescind it prior to the 2010 Olympics.

What irks me even more is that, with Brian primed for another run for an Olympic gold medal, some judging bloc will most likely have a hand in whatever the outcome may be. I would rather Brian win his Olympic gold medal fair and square than have the results skewed in his favor or, worse yet, skewed away from his favor!

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gislaine
The Boss

Number of posts : 13331
Registration date : 2006-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Matters of Judging   21.04.09 19:13

I confess that I swim a bit concerning GOE etc hide8up , I hope that judges will be uncommitted next year otherwise skating will take a blow!!
J'avoue que je nage un peu concernant le GOE etc ,j'espère que les juges seront impartiaux l'année prochaine sinon le patinage en prendra un coup !!

Gislaine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
humming bird
Le Blues du Businessman

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2006-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Matters of Judging   23.04.09 11:01

wow, wow, wow.. now this is serious.
it's a strange decision. especially with Olys ahead. money problem? I don't believe it.
it's certain that it won't be changed before the 2009/2010 season, right?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: Matters of Judging   23.04.09 15:43

Marta wrote:
Quote :
it's certain that it won't be changed before the 2009/2010 season, right?

Yes, that's correct. In order for such a change to be made, it must be voted on and passed by the governing board of the ISU and they won't meet until after the 2010 Olympics! I would bet money that Cinquata planned it this way, so he can impliment whatever collusion is to occur that is being designed behind the scenes among the member federations and whatever governing board officials, who are part of the under-handed situation. Cinquata knows, full well, that this change could not be voted out or changed before the next governing council. Whatever he is planning to happen cannot be averted. The guy is a crook (and that's the tamest word I can write on a public message board!); he's as devious as they come.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matters of Judging   

Back to top Go down

Matters of Judging
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Skating General :: General Skating / Autre Patinage-
Jump to: