View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blue Bead
vip

Number of posts : 2023
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: "Macho Makeover" for figure skating!   01.05.09 20:49

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/story?id=7473728&page=1

I think Skate Canada is way off base trying something like this---attempting to draw the hockey fans so they will watch and support figure skating, LOL. I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but....it isn't gonna work. SC has decided that the way to boost the numbers of skating fans is to make figure skating more masculine. This whole idea seems kind of odd to me, LOL, because the skater they are pushing toward glory for Canada in the 2010 Olympics is Patrick Chan who is anything but a macho skater. His style is very ballet oriented. If SC really wants a chance at finding out why hockey fans don't watch figure skating, why don't they poll them and find out what would attrack them to this sport?

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something
SOS d'un terrien en detresse

Number of posts : 4437
Registration date : 2006-07-28

PostSubject: Re: "Macho Makeover" for figure skating!   01.05.09 21:41

first of all the idea in itself is offensive to lots of people.
then it's so silly to talk all macho when what you have to offer is chan, who is clearly not macho and not even a good looking man to atract maybe some female viewers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
quintia
Matrix

Number of posts : 3229

PostSubject: Re: "Macho Makeover" for figure skating!   01.05.09 23:29

Patrick Chan as a masculine skater, I think not. Angering your audience into boycotting skating, that's a brilliant statement Skate Canada Rolling Eyes Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: "Macho Makeover" for figure skating!   02.05.09 0:03

Kiki wrote:
Quote :
Angering your audience into boycotting skating, that's a brilliant statement Skate Canada

If it weren't so pitiful, some of what SC is attempting to do would really be laughable. Whoever is heading up the marketing on this should have a skate guard stuffed in his mouth. This is soooo going to backfire on the SC officials and, in the process, they will come off looking like total fools.

This "macho" skating thing made the evening newscast on ABC in the US with a whole segment with Sam Donaldson. They showed a couple of elite, male skaters one of them being Johnny Weir. Oh boy, just what Johnny needed being publicly branded (simply by his inclusion in the video segment) as an un-masculine skater. I can't imagine he and his PR people are too happy about that; it's not what I would have called good publicity!

If SC and other bigwigs want to put a macho stamp on the sport they need to create a new form of the sport and build it from the ground up, leaving alone what the rest of us know and love as traditional figure skating. One of the supposedly expert persons who commented in the TV coverage (who went unnamed...at least I didn't hear anyone identified) said that if skating officials want to macho-up figure skating they should pit two skaters against each other on the ice and let them duke it out. Rolling Eyes Get real, people! Who's kidding whom here?!

If figure skating hasn't been the laughing stock of the sports world before now, it sure will be after that broadcast. grrrrrrrrrmur

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Love2Smile
ma gueule

Number of posts : 1392

PostSubject: Re: "Macho Makeover" for figure skating!   02.05.09 4:24

If we wanted to attract hockey fans, we would play hockey! Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.poeticwanderings.wordpress.com
Sheena

Number of posts : 5583

PostSubject: Re: "Macho Makeover" for figure skating!   02.05.09 15:43

Do they not realise how insulting they are being to their loyal skating audiences?

It wasn't the skating that made FS popular for a while on NA tv screens - it was the assault on Nancy Kerrigan's knee by Tonya Harding's ex-husband, what does that say about the right & wrong reasons for watching FS?? :running-away:

{Going slightly off-topic (sorry Embarassed ) I read somewhere that when SC were asked about the 'loss' of the third spot for their men in the Olympics, their reply was something along the lines of "the only thing that mattered was Patrick's high finish" - gosh, do they know how to make all their skaters (especially Vaughan & Jeremy) feel special & needed? These guys are nearly as wonderful (not!) as NISA in GB!!} grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: "Macho Makeover" for figure skating!   02.05.09 16:37

My guess is that there is more behind this "macho" thing than merely getting away from frills and sequins on costumes. Some time ago I recall having read an article...three or four years ago... (and I don't remember where it was or i'd try to link to it) that the IOC was exploring the possiblities of dropping figure skating from the Olympics because it isn't sport-like enough, when compared to the majority of other sports. The hang-up involved is that figure skating is a judged event whereas most other sports are not. The equestrian sports are also judged events. Other sports incorporate timed competitions or distance/height measurements, etc. with the winner being the person or team who can gain the best distance or the fastest time. This current "joke" of a new judging system attempts to address this issue, in that, the skaters are amassing points toward a "personal best." Unfortunately for the ISU this concept isn't setting well with the established fan base. With a threat looming from the IOC regarding the possible elimination of figure skating from the Olympics, it stands to reason that the worldwide skating organizations and federations would be trying to come up with ways to make the sport fit the concept of a more traditional athletic event.

If that is truly the case behind this effort by SC I would rather they come out and tell the fans that unless figure skating, as we know it, is changed to become more like a traditional sport, with obvious exertion from its participants and a down-play in the costuming, while incorporating the same kinds of timed events and push-the-envelope physical efforts on the parts of the skaters, figure skating will be eliminated from the Olympics. I would rather they take that tack than disquise it as they currently are doing. The way they are handling this will not give them the outcome they want. In fact, it is outraging the current fan base, as it is which may, actually, drive some of the existing fans away from the sport.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Malgosia
vip

Number of posts : 3247

PostSubject: Re: "Macho Makeover" for figure skating!   03.05.09 9:52

And a little comment from Elvis Stojko on what men's figure skating is and what it should be:
http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2009/05/03/9330621-sun.html

Brian is also mentioned Cool :

Quote :
Prior to this year's world's, Toronto's Chan called out Joubert for his comments from 2008, suggesting that the Frenchman "needs to be taught other things like footwork and spins."

But Stojko, perhaps to his detriment, took Joubert's side.

"Being a little bit mouthy towards the other guy is not cool," Stojko said of Chan. "The other guy's been around a little longer. I competed against Joubert when he was first coming out. He was there back in the day when we competed with the guys doing the quads and stuff, really pushing the envelope. "
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: "Macho Makeover" for figure skating!   05.05.09 0:57

I came across an intersting development to the orginal article. Apparently a poster at FSU sent an email to Mr. Thompson at Skate Canada, getting the following reply (scroll down to post #225):
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66063&page=12

The representative for SC is alleging that the journalist who wrote the article skewed Suspect what SC had orginally stated by taking certain parts out of context of what SC had, orginally, given the journalist and juxtaposed them with comments by others who do not represent Skate Canada (namely, Elvis). The email is an interesting read, for sure. SC is in "damage control" mode, that is for certain.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: "Macho Makeover" for figure skating!   09.05.09 16:36

Here's a link to the official reply by Skate Canada to the "Macho" article :

http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/news_views/news/2008_2009/may_6.cfm

Basically, this is damage control on SC's part, LOL.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
6marinka
James Bond

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: "Macho Makeover" for figure skating!   12.05.09 4:55

Malgosia wrote:
And a little comment from Elvis Stojko on what men's figure skating is and what it should be:
http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2009/05/03/9330621-sun.html

Brian is also mentioned Cool

Aaaaw, my man didn´t disappoint me yet again Very Happy Elvis just KNOWS what´s right and what´s wrong, he was the King of the ice at his times Wink

Michelle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
humming bird
Le Blues du Businessman

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2006-06-14

PostSubject: Re: "Macho Makeover" for figure skating!   12.05.09 17:02

I really enjoyed reading the article on Elvis. It was so much different from those that you usually read. It's good to know that there is a person in the skating world supporting Brian-like skating Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Macho Makeover" for figure skating!   

Back to top Go down

"Macho Makeover" for figure skating!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Skating General :: General Skating / Autre Patinage-
Jump to: