Registration date : 2006-07-01

PostSubject: Everything else - part 11   10.09.09 21:39

Sunshine wrote:
Sheena wrote:
irina_something wrote:
by the way, how is maike doing?

Good question...how is Maike??

Hi Irina, hi Sheena!
I just dropped in and saw that you asked about me.
I'm fine! At the moment I'm doing an internship (in a city some hours away from Giessen, so I live there for a while). I have to work a lot, but I love what I'm doing. I had to design and realize a survey for a welfare institution. After that I had to analyze data statistically. At the moment I have to prepare a presentation about the results and on Monday my internship will end with a big presentation for the management. That's very exciting!!!
In addition to that I have to write a very long paper for one of my courses at university. It has to be ready on Monday, too... :ko:
Luckily, my boyfriend and I booked a trip to Fuerteventura for October. sunny So I will get some rest before university starts again! I'm really looking forward to that!
I think these are the most important things that happen in my life at the moment... Thanks for asking! hugs
I hope you are doing well, too!!!

Nice to see u again, Maike!
Good luck! And have a wonderful time in your little vacation!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

Number of posts : 3974
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Everything else - part 11   12.09.09 19:20

"The Life of the Boss Lady"

part 15897287.

Its really scary to realize you made a wrong decision, if you are boss. However, this wrong decision was made earlier than I became the boss. The wrong decision was my new "young" (in fact he is just one year younger than me, but hey, Im also damned young to be a boss) colleague. Yeah, the same colleague I was so excited about and so satisfied with after the very first days.

I had known him earlier from the student magazine (if someone here still remembers those times...), and he writes really well. He has some kind of sarcasm I always liked in his articles on various topics. He studied political science, but we watched lots of football games together with friends, and he says he is interested in football and sports in general.

I have never asked him what this "interested" means. How much interested?

You know me. If I could, I would spend all day at stadiums, sports halls and ice rinks. When I had 16 I filled in my students card the field "temporary address": THE STADIUM. The school principal was shocked when he saw it, LOL. Im obsessed. But if people ask me, I also say: "Im interested in sports."

Well, my new colleague is not so much interested. He is interested but not obsessed. He wouldnt like to spend 24/7 at stadiums. And this becomes more and more obvious.

He makes mistakes. He writes silly things, because he knows just a little about the topics he has to write about, but he acts as if he knew more than me, so when I ask why he wrote this or that, he acts as if it was me who had the wrong informations.

On the other hand, he constantly asks me to be "hard as steel" when criticizing him, saying he is happy about it. Oh well, I would be happier if there was no reason to criticize him. Be sure that GJ is harder than steel when criticizing him and my new colleague is really glad about it. Instead of saying: i will try to do better he keeps repeating whe should be merciless towards him.

Well, there are times when Im really angry or I see a really unprofessional work and then I am merciless, actually, but I dont have any pleasure in it. I want to make a good sports section in the paper, not to be a feared domina or something.

Last Wednesday was a total disaster and the new colleague failed in so many aspects. It wouldnt be such a big problem. I also had incredibly tough times at the beginning when I questioned my skills really often. I wasnt sure about my writing abilities, I wasnt sure about my flexibility, I wasnt sure about my knowledge...

But I was sure about one thing: sports journalism is the one and only thing I want to do. So Id better do it better, because if I fail as a sports journalist, there is no other option for me.

After the disastrous Wednesday I have talked with the new colleague several times. I tried to understand his motivations and I realized in horror that he has no other motivation but not letting me down. I mean: this is touching, really. Im not his mother or girlfriend or anything, he shouldnt care about me! He should have his own motivations!

I also asked him how important sports are in his life. He said, he has many other hobbies, but he wont let them to affect his job. But when I asked him if he can join me at a football game, he answered: if you want me to join you as in my free time, than I say no, but if you say I have to join you, because of work, I say okay. It was that big game SVK-CZE and I knew I wouldnt be able to do everything all alone. But I was a bit shocked that if it wasnt obligatory, he would rather stayed at home. This shows his relationship to sports and it is not the best.

I absolutely love my job, but I have to admit its demanding. You have no weekends and you have to stay at the office late at night. But since I still would go to football games every weekend, and still would watch all the football games at night, I never felt it as a "sacrifice". Im doing what I would do in every condition, and I even get paid for it. Amazing.

But for the new colleague, this is just a job. And though his writing skills are great, his general knowledge about sports is somewhat shallow. His articles are full of mistakes, not spelling or stylistical, but factual ones. I dont really know how he will be a good colleague, someone we can rely on. This causes my sleepless nights I mention on facebook so often.

Thank you for reading my novel.

To be continued.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

Number of posts : 2023

PostSubject: Re: Everything else - part 11   12.09.09 20:14

Titi....Everybody in management positions runs into this problem on more than one occasion. You make, what you consider, a dumb mistake in judgement. You beat yourself up over it, LOL, and you learn from it and go on. You hope you'll never make the same mistake again but sometimes it takes more than once to learn whatever lessons you need to learn become a top expert in your field. I think you'll find that a lot of colleagues you hire, over the course of your time as boss, will not measure up to your expectations and you'll have to devise ways to either work around them or to motivate them to work harder, be more conscientious. That's a tall order, for sure, LOL, but it comes with the job.

Did this guy understand what all the job entailed when he was hired? Is that stuff laid out in precise detail so there's no misunderstands about it? From what you are saying it sounds like he's the kind of person who tells you what you want to hear but, in reality, he's nothing like that. I really despise people who say one thing while meaning something else, LOL. I sympathize with you. Can you reiterate to him that his silly mistakes will not be tolerated, that you expect much more of him, that he is to do whatever extra work is required to bring his knowledge of sports up to what it should be--even if that means spending his off-the-job hours talking to athletes wherever they may be?

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Everything else - part 11   19.09.09 10:37

Thank you very much for your encouraging words, Mary, unfortunately the guy proved to be really stupid and he doesnt care about his job at all. Yesterday I sent him to tennis: instead of hawk-eye he wrote snake-eye. affraid grrrrrrrrrmur :337malzonka.gi

Tomorrow will be a really tough day, we have to make six pages and Im already having nightmares we wont be ready. Anyway, Im gonna do my very best because I cant afford any mistakes right now.

Im going to talk to my colleague, tell him all the stuff he did wrong, and we will see.

It will be hard to find anybody else instead of him, because we are a small newspaper with no real future and not good financial conditions, we are a minority newspaper so we dont have such a wide selection of people, but hopefully someone else will appear, because this guy was a wrong idea, unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mba83
Lord of the Dance

Number of posts : 1898
Registration date : 2008-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Everything else - part 11   19.09.09 12:29

Take care Titi. I'm keeping fingers for you!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheena

Number of posts : 5583

PostSubject: Re: Everything else - part 11   19.09.09 15:50

Hang in there Titi - hugs & kisses

(I cannot get over how dumb this (seemingly intelligent?) guy is!!)

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: Everything else - part 11   19.09.09 17:03

Geez, Titi, that whole situation sucks! While you're talking to him, ask him why he wanted this job in the first place. It sounds like he needs to get out of the sports' writing business and find another profession. He's the last thing you and the department need right now. Hang in there! hugs

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something
SOS d'un terrien en detresse

Number of posts : 4437
Registration date : 2006-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Everything else - part 11   19.09.09 19:18

shake eye? really???? because snakes are so well known in the animal kingdom for their sight abilities ??? Razz this guy, should maybe write for a comic newspaper.
oh, tit, i am so sorry for the unconfortable situation you are in now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gislaine
The Boss

Number of posts : 13304
Registration date : 2006-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Everything else - part 11   19.09.09 19:37

Take care Titi bisousfleurs .

Gislaine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Everything else - part 11   20.09.09 12:19

LOL, Irina, in my area some guys call their most precious body part "the one-eyed snake", so probably he was thinking about something else... mdr Okay, Im evillle... lol!

Btw, I have just talked to this guy... And guess what happened? He started to cry. I really really dont understand this... What are these guys made of? Any toughness out there? I dont say guys dont have rights to be emotional, but it somehow ruins the illusion if they start to cry out of nothing when facing the first trouble.

Anyway, he says he concentratres when he writes but he still makes mistakes... I would have been happier if he had said he was thinking about something else, so there would be slight hope he will be better if he concentratres.. but if he writes stupid things when concentrating, then i really dont know the solution...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: Everything else - part 11   20.09.09 16:30

Titi wrote:
Quote :
Btw, I have just talked to this guy... And guess what happened? He started to cry. I really really dont understand this... What are these guys made of? Any toughness out there? I dont say guys dont have rights to be emotional, but it somehow ruins the illusion if they start to cry out of nothing when facing the first trouble.

Anyway, he says he concentratres when he writes but he still makes mistakes... I would have been happier if he had said he was thinking about something else, so there would be slight hope he will be better if he concentratres.. but if he writes stupid things when concentrating, then i really dont know the solution...
This guy has some serious psychological issues in his life. Guys do not, normally, break down and cry under the circumstances you've brought to light. The last thing any guy, in his right mind, wants to do is break down in front of anyone else--especially a female anyone-else, LOL.

If he "concentrates" when he's writing an article, does he lay it aside for a while and, then, go back to it later (when his mind is fresher) to look for mistakes or does he consider it "done" as it stands? I would think he'd put it aside for a bit and then go back over it at a later time before turning it in as a finished piece.

I'm not sure there is much you can do to help this dude. I get the feeling most of what he needs will either have to come from within himself or from a psychologist. If the guy isn't, won't or can't do the job as required then you'll have to let him go and find someone else who can do the job as required. I know, I know that's not nearly as easy a task as it is to write what I'm saying, LOL.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Everything else - part 11   20.09.09 16:58

You are right, Mary, its not an easy task, but Im somehow calmer about all this after I talked to him. He kept saying he is interested in this job so now its upon him to show it. He got one more week to prove his skills. If not - then we will search for someone else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Everything else - part 11   21.09.09 18:21

oh , dear, titi. this dude has some issues. it's not a boy/girl thing. i just hate this kind of behavior when confronted with a problem that is definitely not life threatening or something like that. if the boss gives you a criticism you take it in, think about it and then try to fix it or if you don't agree with the boss and have the balls you go and state your opinion. but crying??? that's emotional blackmail and i kind of hate that. i mean unless he is going through something really bad at the moment that you don't know about, this dude is in my mind the manipulative kind.

ps: "the one-eyed snake". omg, men have problems. really. why not "the no brain snake "? that sounds more accurate Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: Everything else - part 11   21.09.09 20:15

irina wrote:
Quote :
why not "the no brain snake "? that sounds more accurate
:lach: This is sooo true but I can't stop :lach:

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
6marinka
James Bond

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Everything else - part 11   22.09.09 10:42

Titi, the girls are right, this guy has serious psychologic problems I think. It´s important to give him a chance but you´re absolutely right - you can´t afford to wait forever and hope that he´ll get better, considering the condition of your newspaper... I hope he gets some help from someone, and I think although he cried, he appreciated that you talked to him. And ladies, don´t tell me anything about the TOUGHNESS of men - I witnessed one of them crying to a web cam last week..... (personally, I don´t think men are not allowed to cry in front of others, sometimes you just can´t hide the pain or struggle inside of you, whether man or woman, and I think it´s okay for them to release it this way....not all the time of course LOL)
Keeping fingers crossed for you, Titi, that this situation solves to the best of both of you hugs

By the way, "the one-eyed snake" I do know but "the no brain snake" is absolutely :lach:

Michelle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
6marinka
James Bond

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Everything else - part 11   23.09.09 11:37

Guys, I don´t want to spoil anybody´s mood but I just have to release the shock....I just found out that one of my former students died in a car crash yesterday Sad Ten minutes ago I was all happy and smiling and now I feel like run down by a truck.......
I´m sorry, but I just...right now I´m totally off ............

Michelle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheena

PostSubject: Re: Everything else - part 11   23.09.09 12:16

Poor Michelle, death by accident is always such a shock.... hugs

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Everything else - part 11   23.09.09 15:28

kisses Michelle.... This is a shocking news...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nicole90
Time

Number of posts : 807
Registration date : 2007-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Everything else - part 11   23.09.09 15:55

Poor Michelle... hugs

Ladies, I won't visit the forum for 10 days because I will be spending my holidays in England.
Very Happy
Bye Bye! Coucou30
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Everything else - part 11   23.09.09 16:33

NICOLE , have a great time in your vacantion and let us know how it was !!!

MICHELLE, life sometimes just doesn't make sense. i am so sorry for your former student. kisses
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gislaine
The Boss

Number of posts : 13304
Registration date : 2006-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Everything else - part 11   23.09.09 16:46

Courage Michelle bisousfleurs !

Have a great holiday Nicole!
Passe de bonnes vacances en Angleterre . bisousfleurs

Gislaine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Adelina

Number of posts : 4654
Registration date : 2006-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Everything else - part 11   23.09.09 21:00

hugs Michele!

Have a great time there Nicole!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mba83
Lord of the Dance

Number of posts : 1898
Registration date : 2008-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Everything else - part 11   24.09.09 7:50

@ Sad news, Michelle. Take care

@ Nicole... Have great time on your trip
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheena

PostSubject: Re: Everything else - part 11   24.09.09 13:00

Have a good trip Nicole!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
zandor
Daft Punk

Number of posts : 2942
Registration date : 2006-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Everything else - part 11   24.09.09 13:29

Have a wonderful time in England, Nicole! cheering

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Everything else - part 11   

Back to top Go down

Everything else - part 11
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 18Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Miscellaneous :: Anything/ Discussion divers hors patinage-
Jump to: