Brian Joubert Discussion Group



 
PortalHomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsLog inFacebookTwitter

Share | 
 

 Rostelecom Cup (Cup of Russia) - 22-25 Oct 2009

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
didi
Untouchable
avatar

Number of posts : 134
Age : 33
Localisation : Berlin, Germany
Registration date : 2009-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Rostelecom Cup (Cup of Russia) - 22-25 Oct 2009   25.10.09 10:01

I have the same fear.

Kisses,
Diana pleures
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bladette
James Bond
avatar

Number of posts : 1036
Age : 36
Registration date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Rostelecom Cup (Cup of Russia) - 22-25 Oct 2009   25.10.09 10:23

Anastasia wrote:
Well,guys.
Plush IS BACK.
What do we have in 5 months before Olys?We have 3 judge's beloved contenders for the Olympic podium,they are: Plush,Chan and Lambiel.They can show perfect skating,good one,even bad,but they will get some good points for sure anyway.If they skate perfectly,there won't be a place for anyone else at podium,that's pretty clear.
I am down.


But we haven't seen yet Chan's skating. Maybe he is struggling and having troubles with the jumps. Also, he can have too much pressure at the Olympics? And I doubt Lambiel will get he's jumps back. He seemed a bit weak at Nebelhof Trophy.

Plushenko's jumps were good but everything else was terrible in his LP! I don't understand why the judges give him such a great scores. That kind of judging makes me feel frustrated about ice skating. I am glad that Brian didn't get the spot for this GP event, because his jumps aren't quite back yet and it would have been too humiliating to loose againts Plushy right now. If Brian can do at least 2 quads in the LP, he will be on the podium at the Olys. Chan can't do a one, remember?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anastasia
vip
avatar

Number of posts : 4091
Age : 30
Localisation : Moscow, Russia
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Rostelecom Cup (Cup of Russia) - 22-25 Oct 2009   25.10.09 10:44

If........If..........If........
Brian is showing bad results at the moment and it's URGENT to have his head&mind BACK and realise what's going on finally!!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
And....it does not depend on trainers: Simond...Deupolly.....anyone...THE PROBLEM IS IN BRIAN.
I've been to all trainings in Bercy and he was perfect at them,however we all know what has happenned during competitions...
IMO Brian should withdraw from NHK...There is no need to go there...Asia with it's climate,time differences,doctors lol....NHK won't bring anything good,except probable ticket to the Grand Prix Final...which will be also held there in Asia.Who cares about this Grand Prix Final?Look at Chan,he has withdrawn from CoR...and i do believe he is all right,it's some kind of tactics...And you say,he might have lost his form too,well Ok,if so...Brian with his bad skating will be definitely worse treated by judges,than Chan with his bad skating.
There is no need to lose strength on less important challenges and get exhausted too early...The point is to reach the perfect shape in the right time at a right place!
IMO Brian should concentrate on French Championships and win it without any doubt!!!!And then he should come to Tallin,full of energy and motivation,being 2009 French champion!!!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://brianjoubert.ruhelp.com/
mygirl
1492
avatar

Number of posts : 971
Age : 29
Localisation : Novosibirsk, Russia
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Rostelecom Cup (Cup of Russia) - 22-25 Oct 2009   25.10.09 11:00

I watched Plush's programs too and even though I am clearly underwhelmed by his choreography (as I have always been), I must admit his jumps are out of this world, or rather their consistency. A perfect comeback after 3 years out of competition whether we want it or not.

Nastya, you are so right with your thoughts. It is perfectly clear to me now that if Plush keeps on skating the way he does now till the Olys, he'll claim that gold medal. Add to that list of medal contenders Oda and Takahashi, think how much they are usually loved by the judges and the situation will look so darmed bad.

We can just hope that Plush's come back will motivate Brian to work and skate up to his potential. However, the thing is, Brian needs to fix his jumps and go absolutely clean in order to compete for a medal, for judges will never be as lenient to him as they are to other skaters and a single flaw for Brian can be crucial.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bladette
James Bond
avatar

Number of posts : 1036
Age : 36
Registration date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Rostelecom Cup (Cup of Russia) - 22-25 Oct 2009   25.10.09 11:48

[quote="Anastasia"]
I've been to all trainings in Bercy and he was perfect at them,however we all know what has happenned during competitions...
quote]
OK, now that's worrying. So that’s why he has been saying on interviews that everything is OK. Because he didn’t expect that mess to happen? Obviously Plushy is mentally really strong and Brian needs to get his act together if he really wants to get a medal. It’s essential to do a perfect program because I know the judges will favor other skaters like Plushy, Chan, Takahashi. I really hope B can fix the problem and not be too nervous when the LP starts at the Olys. My biggest fear, and I think his biggest fear too, is that he will mess it up, again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là
avatar

Number of posts : 3974
Age : 34
Localisation : Rimavská Sobota, Slovakia
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Rostelecom Cup (Cup of Russia) - 22-25 Oct 2009   25.10.09 13:34

I feel sorry for Brian, because I really love him and he has to stand a big pressure. Its easy for Plush to be mentally strong: Id also be so f***ing strong with one Olympic Gold Medal already around my neck. Plush also had his weak times, he couldnt bear the pressure back in SLC.
As for Brian, he is perfect on practice but he was struggling through the competition... I heard an interesting conversation of a journalist who attends every skating event with another one, who is not so familiar with the skating world yet. The latter one asked what kind of a person Brian Joubert is, and that journalist who is on every competition said that Brian loves to build up this image of an incredibly tough and strong person, while is isnt so tough and strong in reality. It was strange, but I do believe (and not only because of my obsession of tough guys, LOL) that Brian is an incredibly strong guy, he is just sometimes overwhelmed by all these things around him. There are such big expectation from everyone. In this way I even regret that I told him I want him to skate flawless, because in fact I want him to enjoy his skating like he did back in 2004 or at the 2006 Worlds or at 2006 CoR...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip


Number of posts : 2023
Age : 70
Localisation : Ohio, USA
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Rostelecom Cup (Cup of Russia) - 22-25 Oct 2009   25.10.09 16:45

Bladette wrote:
Quote :
Plushenko's jumps were good but everything else was terrible in his LP! I don't understand why the judges give him such a great scores. That kind of judging makes me feel frustrated about ice skating.
Let me toss another element into this discussion which I think is important to consider, namely, politics! There was a lot of it being spread around at the Rostelecom Cup. However a large portion of it certainly was showered on Plush. None of it bodes well for the GPF nor the Olympics. grrrrrrrrrmur

On the subject of Patrick Chan, he is very much on the injured list but it is in, no way, a career damaging injury. He has a tear in his right calf muscle which, if he doesn't follow a strict regimen of treatment, he will be in a bad way for his remaining competitions. However from what I understand he's undergoing state-of-the-art muscle rehabilitation and should be back, nearly as good as new, in time for his next GP appearance.

Regarding Chan's skating, he's doing remarkably well for someone in his first major elite level experience. I haven't seen any reports about his everday training sessions, though, which would tell me how he's really doing on a day-to-day basis, away from competitions but he doesn't appear to have major problems (other than getting consistent quads). The Canadian Fed is doing everything it possible can to make sure that Chan has whatever he needs. They want that Olympic gold medal with a vengence, and appear to be willing to do anything it takes to get it. I wouldn't be, at all, surprised if there would be some major politicing taking place, now, behing the scenes to assure Chan's success. Suspect

Nastya wrote:
Quote :
IMO Brian should withdraw from NHK...There is no need to go there...Asia with it's climate,time differences,doctors lol....NHK won't bring anything good,except probable ticket to the Grand Prix Final...which will be also held there in Asia.Who cares about this Grand Prix Final?Look at Chan,he has withdrawn from CoR...and i do believe he is all right,it's some kind of tactics...And you say,he might have lost his form too,well Ok,if so...Brian with his bad skating will be definitely worse treated by judges,than Chan with his bad skating.
I don't know that withdrawing from NHK is the best course of action. Brian needs as much experience as he can get with placing himself in that difficult situation which triggers whatever thoughts cause him to screw up. He also needs feedback from the judges as to what he needs to work on to perfect his programs. But, first, what he needs immediately is a sports' psychologist!!!! He can't tackle his mental freeze-ups by himself; it is not possible to succeed without trained assistance. A sports' psychologist would teach him what thoughts to make under that situation where things go wrong. If he can think the right thoughts he can get through whatever difficulties arise during his programs. The technique works like a charm; I've done it. However, it takes a sports' psychologist to analyze Brian's unique problems and fashion a procedure to fix it. Armchair psychology doesn't work, lol.

Quote :
There is no need to lose strength on less important challenges and get exhausted too early...The point is to reach the perfect shape in the right time at a right place!

You do have a point there, Nastya, lol. However, if Brian doesn't get this problem fixed with mental preparedness it's not going to matter whether he's at his physical and training peak or not. If mental elements are not in the same perfect, ready-for-battle condition as his physical preparedness, he will bomb at the Olympics, too. The trick is to get Brian to understand and believe that the sports' psychologist is as much the answer to golden Olympic glory as physical prowess and techinical superiority, and until he comes to that understanding I don't think we'll see him on that gold medal podium position. He'll be lucky to get a silver or bronze medal. Yagudin came to the realization (pushed along by Tarasova) that a psychologist was needed and look where it got him!

Titi wrote:
Quote :
Its easy for Plush to be mentally strong: Id also be so f***ing strong with one Olympic Gold Medal already around my neck. Plush also had his weak times, he couldnt bear the pressure back in SLC.
This is an important point! Plush already has an Olympic gold medal, so getting his first one is not an issue for him, which is the case for all the other men's singles Olympic figure skating competitors. What Plush wants is to be the only Russian man to win two Olympic gold medals in figure skating! If he gets this it will sky-rocket his name into the history books, and he'll have bested Yagudin, finally (he hopes, lol). With that as his motivating force Plushenko will be hard to stop. Unfortunately I don't think that Brian has a compatible motivational force pushing him to Oly gold. I wish with all my heart that this wasn't the case, but I'm afraid it is.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
durlindana
Official Translator
Official Translator


Number of posts : 84
Age : 47
Localisation : Switzerland
Registration date : 2009-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Rostelecom Cup (Cup of Russia) - 22-25 Oct 2009   25.10.09 17:09

Quote :
This is an important point! Plush already has an Olympic gold medal, so getting his first one is not an issue for him, which is the case for all the other Olympic competitors. What Plush wants is to be the only Russian man to win two Olympic gold medals in figure skating! If he gets this it will sky-rocket his name into the history books, and he'll have bested Yagudin, finally (he hopes, lol). With that as his motivating force Plushenko will be hard to stop. Unfortunately I don't think that Brian has a compatible motivational force pushing him to Oly gold. I wish with all my heart that this wasn't the case, but I'm afraid it is.

I completely agree with Mary here.
I was gonna say that people may or may not like Plush, but the point is that first, he delivers the goods whether one likes his skating or not, and second, he's got the attitude of one that simply won't accept defeat. He skates to win, period, and believe me he wouldn't have come back if he didn't think he could win. He doesn't have the same pressure because yes, he's already won an olympic gold, but in my view also because it's just his personality, he thinks he's the be all end all of figure skating and his goal now is to make it to the history books by doing one better than Yagudin. This way people will wholly agree that he is the best skater in history, I'll personally never agree to that, but those that judge an athlete by how many medals he won, will.
Look at it this way, if Brian beats him he will have double merit because it's Plushenko, blah blah blah, plus it'll be very humiliating for Plush to get beaten by Brian, but in order to do that he has to skate perfectly, nothing less will suffice.

Je suis d'accord avec Mary.
Je voulais dire que les gens peuvent ne pas aimer le style de Plush, mais le fait est qu'il fait ce qui est requis dans ses programmes et qu'il le fait proprement. Deuxièmement, il a l'attitude d'un qui n'accepte pas la défaite. Il patine pour gagner, point barre, et je suis sûre qu'il ne serait pas revenu s'il ne pensait pas pouvoir gagner. D'accord il n'a pas la même pression parce-qu'il a déjà gagné un or olympique, mais surtout parce-que c'est son charactère, il pense qu'il est LE meilleur patineur de tous les temps et son but est de faire mieux que Yagudin, comme ça tous le monde va être d'accord sur le fait qu'il est le plus grand. Personnellement je ne serais jamais de cet avis, mais ceux qui jugent un athlète d'après le nombre de ses médailles vont l'être.
Voyons les choses de cette façon: si Brian le bat il aura double mérite car il aura battu Plush, etc etc, et Plush va certainement être humilié si Brian gagne, mais pour faire ça il faut absolument que Brian patine parfaitement, autrement ça va pas suffire.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.arlisa-bijoux.com
Anastasia
vip
avatar

Number of posts : 4091
Age : 30
Localisation : Moscow, Russia
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Rostelecom Cup (Cup of Russia) - 22-25 Oct 2009   25.10.09 17:27

Mary,i got your point and it is true as well.
I see eye to eye with you,concerning the psychologist,however BRIAN DOES NOT ACCEPT THIS idea at all!!!!!!!!He is so stubborn and wooden on this matter,that i am afraid nothing is able to influence his mind and change his point of view.... No grrrrrrrrrmur Do you remember the press conference after Masters&pre TEB,where he has mentioned that he spent some money on psychologist before Turin'06 but it did not help at all...Well,actually psychologists differ and it's just necessary to select the right one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://brianjoubert.ruhelp.com/
Blue Bead
vip


Number of posts : 2023
Age : 70
Localisation : Ohio, USA
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Rostelecom Cup (Cup of Russia) - 22-25 Oct 2009   25.10.09 21:12

Nastya wrote:
Quote :
concerning the psychologist,however BRIAN DOES NOT ACCEPT THIS idea at all!!!!!!!!He is so stubborn and wooden on this matter,that i am afraid nothing is able to influence his mind and change his point of view....

Then, he doesn't want to win the Olympic gold medal as badly as he claims he does. I certainly would not want to be in his shoes when the Oly gold goes to Plushenko or Lambiel or Chan and, all because, he couldn't/wouldn't try with a different psychologist. He will lose fans and supporters faster then he's already losing them. Not only will he have to answer to himself but the legions of fans who still support him. Letting them (us) down will be tragic, to say the least. I, for one, have not invested all these years since 2002 to be led down a frozen "garden path" by a skater who gave me the strong impression that he wanted, craved Olympic gold. I will not be happy--at all. Mad Getting let down, again and again, by your most favorite skater since Yagudin, is not fun. At least Alexei, finally, came to the realization that it was the thoughts in his head which were causing the vast majority his problems, and understanding that, he swallowed his pride and agreed to be under the care of his psychologist. While I didn't agree with all of his psychologist's methods, he did produce results in Alexei which allow him to gain that coveted Olympic gold medal. It's a damn shame that Brian can't follow the same pathway, all because his first outing with a psychologist didn't produce the desired results.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anastasia
vip
avatar

Number of posts : 4091
Age : 30
Localisation : Moscow, Russia
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Rostelecom Cup (Cup of Russia) - 22-25 Oct 2009   26.10.09 4:40

Blue Bead wrote:
Nastya wrote:
Quote :
concerning the psychologist,however BRIAN DOES NOT ACCEPT THIS idea at all!!!!!!!!He is so stubborn and wooden on this matter,that i am afraid nothing is able to influence his mind and change his point of view....

Then, he doesn't want to win the Olympic gold medal as badly as he claims he does. I certainly would not want to be in his shoes when the Oly gold goes to Plushenko or Lambiel or Chan and, all because, he couldn't/wouldn't try with a different psychologist. He will lose fans and supporters faster then he's already losing them. Not only will he have to answer to himself but the legions of fans who still support him. Letting them (us) down will be tragic, to say the least. I, for one, have not invested all these years since 2002 to be led down a frozen "garden path" by a skater who gave me the strong impression that he wanted, craved Olympic gold. I will not be happy--at all. Mad Getting let down, again and again, by your most favorite skater since Yagudin, is not fun. At least Alexei, finally, came to the realization that it was the thoughts in his head which were causing the vast majority his problems, and understanding that, he swallowed his pride and agreed to be under the care of his psychologist. While I didn't agree with all of his psychologist's methods, he did produce results in Alexei which allow him to gain that coveted Olympic gold medal. It's a damn shame that Brian can't follow the same pathway, all because his first outing with a psychologist didn't produce the desired results.

Mary C.

I completely agree.I'll never stop supporting Brian,cause those qualities for which i adore him as a person have not disappeared and i guess won't,however speaking about the reasonable approach towards the mental problem,you are absolutely right.It'll be too late to realise it afterwards in march or so,now it's the right time to start saving the situation!
Yesterday,during the gala Plush made 2 clean quads and 3 clean triple axels...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://brianjoubert.ruhelp.com/
mba83
Lord of the Dance
avatar

Number of posts : 1898
Age : 33
Localisation : Poland
Registration date : 2008-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Rostelecom Cup (Cup of Russia) - 22-25 Oct 2009   26.10.09 8:38

Nastya wrote:
Quote :
Yesterday,during the gala Plush made 2 clean quads and 3 clean triple axels...

One thing is bothering me ... When Brian had a great jumps all attacketd him , that jumps is not only enought to win, and for exemple Lambiel won medal because he has beautifull other elements. Now Brian has a great the whole program. But now the best skater is scratch E. Plushenko who has only good jumps, and the rest of program ( as you said many times ) it's ugly Twisted Evil Judges should have to think about what they are saying because is ridiculous and idiotic . I will not mention about compromitation Chut06 blahblah
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bladette
James Bond
avatar

Number of posts : 1036
Age : 36
Registration date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Rostelecom Cup (Cup of Russia) - 22-25 Oct 2009   26.10.09 9:02


It is so annoying that, because of the biased judging, Brian needs to have a perfect skate againts mediocre Plushy and even mediocre Chan! I think Brian knows this and that's why he's planning to do the 3 risky quads. All in all this judging situation will add even more pressure on Brian! grrrrrrrrrmur Also, he has to be mentally prepared that as soon as he lands on Vancouver, there will be a minor canadian media circus around him, trying to get some negative comments and continue the Chan vs. Joubert mess from last spring. grrrrrrrrrmur


What Brian needs now is to have a successful competition so he can get more confidence before the important competitions.

Quote :
Blue Bead: He will lose fans and supporters faster then he's already losing them. Not only will he have to answer to himself but the legions of fans who still support him. Letting them (us) down will be tragic, to say the least. I, for one, have not invested all these years since 2002 to be led down a frozen "garden path" by a skater who gave me the strong impression that he wanted, craved Olympic gold. I will not be happy--at all.

Omg! I don't think Brian is loosing any fans right now. And if he doesn't get a medal at Olys, he doesn't have to answer to anyone except to himself. He hasn't asked anyone to be his fan or supporter. He now needs support not an ultimatum and extra pressure from "fans" who will leave him, if he doesn't get a gold medal. I really love to watch Brian's skating and that fact won't change no matter what will happen in Vancouver. I know he will try his best. And if he has this negative attitude towards sport spychologists it is unlikely that he will benefit anything from a having one, because he's attitude is so againts it. Maybe he can found help to his nervousness from somewhere else, i don't know.


Last edited by Bladette on 26.10.09 13:57; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
durlindana
Official Translator
Official Translator


Number of posts : 84
Age : 47
Localisation : Switzerland
Registration date : 2009-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Rostelecom Cup (Cup of Russia) - 22-25 Oct 2009   26.10.09 11:32

You may think Plush, Chan and Lambiel are "mediocre", but the fact remains that, at least in the case of Plush's latest competitions, he did what was required whilst Brian simply did not, it's all nice to say he skates a perfect program with 3 quads at training, but if he can't land a single clean quad let alone a combination at competition, well, what do you expect?

As for Lambiel's "winning a medal because he has beautiful elements", if you're referring to his silver medal at Torino 2006, he didn't just have beautiful and original elements, he also had the technical elements, and I may add that his combinations and jumps were on a few occasions fully deservedly marked higher than those of Plushenko's, so shouldn't he have medalled?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.arlisa-bijoux.com
Bladette
James Bond
avatar

Number of posts : 1036
Age : 36
Registration date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Rostelecom Cup (Cup of Russia) - 22-25 Oct 2009   26.10.09 14:04

I didn't mean Plush & Lambiel & Chan are mediocre skaters. I meant they might not have to skate perfectly in order to get great scores. The judges forgive them a little bit. But Brian needs to have a perfect skate to medal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gislaine
The Boss
avatar

Number of posts : 13303
Localisation : Lyon ,France
Registration date : 2006-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Rostelecom Cup (Cup of Russia) - 22-25 Oct 2009   26.10.09 14:53

Brian does not need a plan he needs serenity to get ready no DG who tells him to sleep, to live in passing in the golden medal it is a supplementary pressure which he has on the shoulders.
It underwent a disappointing performance (the most terrible it crosses all his jumps fingers in the nose in the trainings and badaboum during the competition that does not go any more there also it has necessarily to see that and he has to put everything in flat with his coach and his choreographers and especially whom he stops cogitating during his programs!
We saw DG making gestures to Laurent Depouilly, I admit that I found stupid this behavior especially that it was in public...
Brian n' a pas besoin de plan il a besoin de sérénité pour se préparer pas un DG qui lui dit de dormir ,vivre en passant à la médaille d'or c'est une pression supplémentaire qu'il a sur ses épaules .
Il a subi une contre-performance( le plus terrible il passe tous ses sauts les doigts dans le nez aux entraînements et badaboum durant la compétition ça ne va plus là aussi il faut impérativement qu'il voit ça ..... et il doit tout mettre à plat avec son coach et ses chorégraphes et surtout qu'il arrête de cogiter pendant ses programmes !
Nous avons vu DG faire des gestes à Laurent Depouilly ,j'avoue que j'ai trouvé idiot ce comportement surtout que ce fut en public ...

_________________
allez BJDGbanner


Gislaine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheena
Moderator
avatar

Number of posts : 5583
Localisation : Ireland
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Rostelecom Cup (Cup of Russia) - 22-25 Oct 2009   26.10.09 15:18

MAMOUNA38 wrote:
Brian does not need a plan he needs serenity to get ready no DG who tells him to sleep, to live in passing in the golden medal it is a supplementary pressure which he has on the shoulders.
It underwent a disappointing performance (the most terrible it crosses all his jumps fingers in the nose in the trainings and badaboum during the competition that does not go any more there also it has necessarily to see that and he has to put everything in flat with his coach and his choreographers and especially whom he stops cogitating during his programs!
We saw DG making gestures to Laurent Depouilly, I admit that I found stupid this behavior especially that it was in public...

This remainds me of what I was told (by one who was there) about the qualifying for the Turin Olympics, Jenna McCorkell was there (complete with back injury) trying to earn a spot for Turin & Sally-Anne Stapleford (NISA top-dog & of SLC fame) was appartently rinkside shouting at her etc, the spectators were not impressed at her behaviour! Needless to say, Jenna skated poorly & did not qualify.....

_________________
~Sheena~

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Malgosia
vip
avatar

Number of posts : 3247
Localisation : Poland
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Rostelecom Cup (Cup of Russia) - 22-25 Oct 2009   26.10.09 16:18

I've been out of the loop since I came back from Paris and there's so much going on. It's hard to catch up on the news!

I only managed to see Plush's performance and apart from jumps which are impressive knowing he hasn't been competing since last 3 years - the rest is just crap silent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip


Number of posts : 2023
Age : 70
Localisation : Ohio, USA
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Rostelecom Cup (Cup of Russia) - 22-25 Oct 2009   26.10.09 16:55

Bladette wrote:
Quote :
What Brian needs now is to have a successful competition so he can get more confidence before the important competitions.

Quote:
Blue Bead: He will lose fans and supporters faster then he's already losing them. Not only will he have to answer to himself but the legions of fans who still support him. Letting them (us) down will be tragic, to say the least. I, for one, have not invested all these years since 2002 to be led down a frozen "garden path" by a skater who gave me the strong impression that he wanted, craved Olympic gold. I will not be happy--at all.

Omg! I don't think Brian is loosing any fans right now. And if he doesn't get a medal at Olys, he doesn't have to answer to anyone except to himself. He hasn't asked anyone to be his fan or supporter. He now needs support not an ultimatum and extra pressure from "fans" who will leave him, if he doesn't get a gold medal. I really love to watch Brian's skating and that fact won't change no matter what will happen in Vancouver. I know he will try his best. And if he has this negative attitude towards sport spychologists it is unlikely that he will benefit anything from a having one, because he's attitude is so againts it. Maybe he can found help to his nervousness from somewhere else, i don't know.
The problem with your line of reasoning is that Brian won't have a successful competition unless he takes an extremely critical look at his own thinking processes. It's his thinking--his thoughts before, during, and after he skates his program that are preventing him from skating a clean program with all the jumps and other elements he intends to put into that program. I don't know what his actual thoughts are; I'd sure like to know, though, lol. Until he addresses that problem we are likely to see a continuation of his less than stellar performances of his SP and FP. Please make note--tackling this issue is not something he can do by himself. He doesn't have the necessary experience (a degree in clinical psychology, for instance) to analyse his own problems.

So...you don't think Brian is losing fans?! Guess again. I read different figure skating message boards throughout the Internet. Lots and lots of posters are talking about Brian. Brian threads are one of the most popular topics on these boards. At FSU (yes, there really are Brian fans there, lol), alone, there are 8 posters who are disgusted with Brian's showing so far this year. These are people who ooh-ed and aah-ed over him in past years. Well, you can bet they aren't singing in praises now. Brian is getting alot of attention among the fans but a lot of it isn't the good kind. It's not that these people are mean or uninformed; for the most part they are long-time skating fans (many of them whose posts I've read since 1998) and they know what really makes a good, winning program, no matter what style any skater has.

You are correct that Brian "doesn't have to answer to anyone but himself". However, he's a skater who cares about his fans and, believe me, he doesn't want to let any of us down, so it will bother him to some degree that he can't produce what he says he can to the media. He's only human and humans have those kinds of thoughts.
Quote :
He now needs support not an ultimatum and extra pressure from "fans" who will leave him, if he doesn't get a gold medal.
No one is giving him an "ultimatum," certainly not me. I'm definitely not abandoning him but I do look at his situation from a critical thought process, which is considerably different than what many of posters, here, do. What I do expect from Brian is that he will do everything necessary (whether he really wants to or not) to go after that Olympic gold medal. Look back at what Alexei Yagudin faced in 2001 at the Goodwill Games. He, too, had tried all kinds of formulas to gain gold medals but he kept failing and losing to Plushenko. He was nearly ready to walk away from the sport BUT he didn't because he (finally) listened to the pleas of his completely frustrated coach and agreed to have theraputic discussions with a pyschologist. Had he not done that he never would have been in the postition of gain his coveted Olympic gold medal. He wanted that medal so badly that he was willing to lay aside his misgivings about what a psychologist could do for him. He put his heart and soul into those sessions and the result was remarkable, to say the least. That is what Brian needs to do as well. His head, his thoughts, are preventing him from attaining that golden Olympic glory. He needs to do it soon or the chances that the therapy sessions will have the desired effect will diminish. There's a lot of work to be done with Brian and time is fleeting.

Quote :
And if he has this negative attitude towards sport spychologists it is unlikely that he will benefit anything from a having one, because he's attitude is so againts it. Maybe he can found help to his nervousness from somewhere else, i don't know.
It will be "unlikely" until he realizes that a psychologist is his last resort and then he will put his whole heart and mind into the task at hand. There is no other place to find help with this sort of situation because Brian doesn't have the necessary training to solve this problem on his own. I'm not suggesting that it couldn't be done, but I don't think Brian has the mental strength to do it on his own. He doesn't strike me as that kind of person.

I, also, agree with Gis--that DG needs to leave Brian alone and not try to influence him in any way. I'm speculating that the reason DG is adding his "two cents' worth" is because he sees Brian's chances of Olympic gold slipping through his (DG's) fingers. Gailhaguet is undoubtedly frustrated beyond belief because the French Fed has a tremendous amount riding on Brian's gold medal successes. If Brian can't deliver that gold medal DG will be in a hell of a mess. (That's the only thing that would explain DG's intrusion in Brian's training and competitions.)

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Rostelecom Cup (Cup of Russia) - 22-25 Oct 2009   

Back to top Go down
 
Rostelecom Cup (Cup of Russia) - 22-25 Oct 2009
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Skating General :: Competitions & Shows/Compétitions et Galas-
Jump to: