Share | 

Andrei Lutai arrested :(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sheena

Number of posts : 5583
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Andrei Lutai arrested :(   17.11.09 14:58

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/509770.html?nav=5010

I wouldn't like to be in Lutai's shoes when Mr Mishin gets hold of him......

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Queeni
Love's divine

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2009-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Andrei Lutai arrested :(   17.11.09 15:15

"A Russian figure skater in town to compete in this weekend's Skate America event was arrested for allegedly stealing a car from a local garage and driving drunk."

OMG

I'm not sure whether I am supposed to laugh or cry ... sounds a bit like a comedy at first ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

Number of posts : 2023

PostSubject: Re: Andrei Lutai arrested :(   17.11.09 17:42

Sheena wrote:
Quote :
I wouldn't like to be in Lutai's shoes when Mr Mishin gets hold of him......
It may take Mishin quite a while to get his hands on Lutai, LOL. For the non-Americans on the board, let me explain some things about the charges Andrei Lutai is facing. As per the information in the ariticle: he's charged with a third-degree grand larceny, a third-degree criminal possession of stolen propery, a third-degree unauthorized use of a vehicle, and aggravated driving while intoxicated.

This means he stole a vehicle worth in excess of $3,000 US dollars, he did not have the car owner's permission to drive it, and he was drunk when he did all this. In the state of New York, where all of this occured, the third-degree charges are all considered to be class D felonies. Aggravated DWI is charged when the blood alcolhol content is higher than .18. When he receives his final sentence which, according to the article is later this week, he would be facing a mandatory fine of between $1,000 and $2,500, a jail term up to one year in length, revocation of his driver's license for at least a year (I don't know what the court will do about the driver's license since he's probably operating on an international license, but they may confiscate it, as well...who knows).

What puts him is such great trouble, aside for the stolen vehicle charges, is the aggravated driving while intoxicated charges. Those charges are more substantial and carry some hefty consequences in addition. The fact that this is his first time getting arrested in the US and having these charges against him can work in his favor. Typicly a first-timer only gets fines, a license suspension, and maybe some jail time. According to what little research I did on this before posting, most of these third-degree offenses can be negotiated down to lesser offenses. The only thing that can't be negotiated to a lesser offense is the aggravated DWI. The only thing which could have made this worse would have been if a gun was found in the car. Then he'd be doing prison time, for sure.

In any case, what Lutai did was just, plain idiotic. I wouldn't be in his boots for anything, LOL. Not only doesn't he understand enough English but, once the judge get done with him and he serves any jail time the court hands down, he still has to go back to Russia and face Mishin! Shocked Holy crap! LOL That could be a fate worse than death. LOL.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something
SOS d'un terrien en detresse

Number of posts : 4437
Registration date : 2006-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Andrei Lutai arrested :(   17.11.09 18:48

what???? what??? i can't believe what i'm reading. he stole a car, really? omg !!! he must be a complete moron, really.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Karen
Mon ami

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2006-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Andrei Lutai arrested :(   17.11.09 18:49

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.kodakgallery.com/photos-by-karen/skating
Queeni
Love's divine

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2009-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Andrei Lutai arrested :(   17.11.09 18:51

Thanks a lot for the explanation, Mary!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: Andrei Lutai arrested :(   17.11.09 19:36

Here are a couple more bits of information in re the Lutai mess: first, he didn't merely steal any old car. To have gotten a charge of third-degree grand theft, the vehicle had to be worth more than $3,000 but less than $50,000. Second, his bail was set at $100,000 because he would be considered to be a flight risk from prosecution. Third, in addition, the authorities would have confiscated his passport and whatever visa or green card papers he had with him.

Just as a disclaimer, LOL, I'm not an attorney nor a paralegal. The information I've gotten is from a very bare-bones research I did earlier today.

I have no clue as to how the judge will view his case. My hope is that it will be regarded as a first timer's offence and he gets off with a much reduced sentence and no jail time. He will, most certainly, be evicted from the US. In the long run there are additional consequence to his idiotic actions and these pertain to his abilities to get into certain countries (to compete, etc) because he has commited felonies. Certain countries won't admit him for any length of time because of that. I believe Canada is one of them, and certainly the US as well. I'm sure there are other countries who would bar him from entry for any reason. All that will just about kill off his chances to continue to compete as an elite figure skater, I think.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Malgosia
vip

Number of posts : 3247

PostSubject: Re: Andrei Lutai arrested :(   18.11.09 10:30

Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shirine
Untouchable

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2009-05-14

PostSubject: Andrei Lutai arrested :(   23.11.09 1:52

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/17112009/58/russian-skater-lutai-arrested.html

I don't know what to say. I hope it doesn't affect his professional career.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anastasia
vip

Number of posts : 4091

PostSubject: Re: Andrei Lutai arrested :(   23.11.09 7:58

This incident with Lutai has been widely discussed throughout russian mass media lately,apart from our main topic - russian soccer players who have not qualified for the Worlds,but ok lol
So Lutai...I have nothing to say actually,except that it's poor and disappointing that a figure skater gains the popularity not for his career highlands,but for his awful deeds!Even those russian people who know nothing about figure skating are aware of Lutai now.He has become a national "star" wow lol! Speaking seriously,i've read some articles with Piseev's comments on this matter,and he let us know that it's not the first time for Lutai to perform such a mess,however last time it was less harmful...I guess it's kind of final for his career...It's sad,but it's the truth.I remember smn claimed that his ISU profile was filled with : -I dont drink- as a reply to the question about alcohol...Well,Andrei is innocent lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://brianjoubert.ruhelp.com/
Malgosia
vip

Number of posts : 3247

PostSubject: Re: Andrei Lutai arrested :(   25.11.09 16:50

Russian federation decided to exclude him from the national team until Nov. 15, 2010. So, no Olys for Lutai.
http://www.reuters.com/article/olympicsNews/idUSGEE5AO1OX20091125
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: Andrei Lutai arrested :(   25.11.09 19:55

Thanks for the article, Malgosia.

I guess I'm not all that surprised that the Russian Fed. has taken this action. It's a shame, for sure, but he screwed up in a huge way in a foreign country. The only thing in his favor, at this time, is that he didn't injure or kill anyone when he was behind the wheel. I suspect that Lutai's competitive skating career is over as I can't imagine the Russian Federation would want to waste its time with him, unless there is nobody else who can compete and win on a regular basis. It is doubtful that he'll get a chance at another Olympics. Well, I hope the other young up-and-coming Russian figure skaters learn from Andrei's mistake, basicly don't do totally stupid things in a foreign country or you'll pay for it dearly.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mba83
Lord of the Dance

Number of posts : 1898
Registration date : 2008-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Andrei Lutai arrested :(   26.11.09 8:08

Hmm ohh Lutai Lutai Sad Sad I'm gonn miss him on Olympic game
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shirine
Untouchable

PostSubject: Re: Andrei Lutai arrested :(   27.11.09 1:41

I have a question for you Mary:

What if he doesn't have an international drivers license. Is he allowed to drive with his Russian license for a while in the US or it will be violation of law?

Anyhow, It a shame for an athlete. He actually ruined everything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shirine
Untouchable

PostSubject: Re: Andrei Lutai arrested :(   27.11.09 1:58

http://adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/509821.html?nav=5008

Well, some good news but it hurts to see him in jail uniform.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: Andrei Lutai arrested :(   27.11.09 17:16

shirine wrote:
Quote :
What if he doesn't have an international drivers license. Is he allowed to drive with his Russian license for a while in the US or it will be violation of law?

Normally, you can use the same license you use in your country. However, you must have had it for one year, at least, and it cannot be expired. An international driver's license is not needed unless the words on it are comprised of significantly different letters, like Cyrillic, Japanese, Chinese, Arabic, ect. If the driver should be stopped by law enforcement persons, for any reason, that license needs to be readable by that authority. The international license has many different languages and letter styles represented on it. So, while Andrei could probably still drive in the US on his Russian license, he'd be in big trouble because the vast majority of policemen could not read the Cyrillic letters.

One other factor in this, if a foreign visitor needs to rent a car while in the US, they must be of a certain age. With some car rental companies you need to be 22 years, at least, and with other car companies you need to be 25 years old. These rental companies don't want to rent their cars to less experienced drivers.

In Lutai's case, since his international driver's license was confiscated by the US court it would likely be illegal for him to drive using his Russian license while, even though it is still valid, it could not be read by most policemen. My best guess---if Lutai were to drive in the US again he'd be taking a serious risk of getting hauled into court with the charge of driving on a suspended license, and considering the amount of mess he's already in (that will be on his permanent record in the US, although I don't know for sure about his international record), he could be in a heap more trouble with the US court system, and might find himself in jail, yet. Of course whether he can drive in the US or not is moot because the officials may not allow him to come back in the country.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shirine
Untouchable

PostSubject: Re: Andrei Lutai arrested :(   29.11.09 5:49

Thanks Mary for your complete answer bisousfleurs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ekaterina
Lord of the Dance

Number of posts : 1935

PostSubject: Re: Andrei Lutai arrested :(   24.12.09 17:39

Quote :
he'd be in big trouble because the vast majority of policemen could not read the Cyrillic letters.

Actually, no. The Russian driving license is both in Russian and English.

On the topic, Lutai couldn't have made more a fool of himself. What was he thinking, stealing a car?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Andrei Lutai arrested :(   

Back to top Go down

Andrei Lutai arrested :(
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Skating General :: General Skating / Autre Patinage-
Jump to: