Christmas Memories

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blue Bead
vip

Number of posts : 2023
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Christmas Memories   22.12.09 2:56

We all have them---memories of Christmases past. Some are funny, some are sad, some are unbelievable. I thought with Christmas only a couple of days away it would be interesting to revisit our varied experiences associated with this holiday. Please post your memories, here, whether they are good or bad.

I'll get this started with my earliest memory of Christmas. I was about two and a half years old and I was just starting to understand that Christmas was a very special time of year. All the stores had displays with lots of ornaments and tinsel and Santas, elves, toys, you name it, lol. It was a kid's paradise in the toy departments. Of course I wanted everything I saw, lol, but that was not to be. My parents weren't wealthy, by any means.

On Christmas morning I toddled down the hall from my nursery (I was well known for scaling the sides of my crib, escaping to go exploring, lol). It was just after dawn and there was this glow emanating up the staircase wall at the end of the darkened hall. I remember hearing activity downstairs but I couldn't really identify the sounds. Whatever it was, it intrigued me and I sneaked closer to the top step and, crouching down so as to peak between the stair railings, I saw this wonderous vista in the corner of the living room below. In the far corner of the room was a tree nearly touching the ceiling, decorated with shiny orbs in numerous colors, shapes and sizes; there was a lighted star on top, tickling the ceiling. The tree was lighted with multicolored bulbs which brushed the pine needles and sent this woodsy aroma up the staircase. There was a slowly dying fire in the fireplace in the center of the far wall, about six feet from the outer edges of the tree. All these boxes of every shape and description, wrapped in colored paper with bows tied around them, encircled the bottom of the tree, and there was this whistling noise. I didn't see the source at first; I was too busy scooting down the stairs on my bottom to see the spectacle at floor level, up close and personal, lol.

At two plus years old I could walk, albeit not all that well, lol, and I still needed to hang onto furniture and table legs as I reached the bottom of the stairs and started making my way to this enormous evergreen which had sprouted in the corner of our living room, overnight. Really, I didn't know what to think; I was dumb-founded by it all, lol. Holding on to the edge of the sofa I stood there staring at all of it. I heard my mother say, "So, what is all this, huh?" I don't recall if I looked in her direction or not, LOL. Then I heard the whistle again--under the tree. Not knowing what to expect I grabbed on, tightly, to the edge of the sofa cushion; my eyes were probably twice as big as saucers by this time, lol....and then I saw it, coming out from behind the tree. It was a little train on a track circling all the way around the bottom of the tree. Every so many minutes it whistled and puffed "smoke" and made chugging sounds.

I didn't know what to think so I started screaming at the top of my lungs and crying, LOL. I heard my mother laughing and I looked in her direction and saw my father standing, there, looking crest-fallen, LOL. He came over to me, crouched down and enveloped me in his arms, telling me it was simply a toy train and it wouldn't hurt me or come after me. At first I didn't believe him, lol, and continued to have bursts of tears. Dad picked me up and took me over to the rug in front of the fireplace and sat down there, putting me between his legs. We sat there for I don't know how long, watching that silly train with its three cars and caboose making circuit after circuit around the base of the tree. Eventually I got a good dose of bravery and moved over closer to the train track. Dad helped me open the first of the presents and when I got the hang of it I ripped into the rest of them myself.

It's one of my cherished memories of Christmas. I'm sure all of you have yours and I'd like to read about them. I'll add several more of mine as the hours tick by toward Christmas.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eva
Lord of the Dance

Number of posts : 1763
Registration date : 2007-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Memories   23.12.09 12:56

Awww,was so nice to read!!Thanks for sharing!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
quintia
Matrix

Number of posts : 3229

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Memories   23.12.09 14:32

Awww that's such a great memory, Mary. Thanks for sharing. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
6marinka
James Bond

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Memories   23.12.09 23:19

What a lovely memory, Mary Smile Thanks for sharing indeed!

Hmmm....What came across my mind now is not exactly a memory, but in some ways, it is......
I was wrapping up some last presents yesterday. I don´t know about you, but we keep old wrapping paper, so we don´t need to buy new one every year (though we still do it every year anyway lol!) and as I was looking for some paper, I found one which still had a "from - to" label on it. As I saw it, I had a lump in my throat - it was from my grandma who passed away in summer 2008....
I suddenly felt the tears coming to my eyes and wished she was still here, since we used to spend every Christmas together - my parents, me and both of my grandmothers. I remembered how my grandma loved cookies which we baked with my mom, the picture that comes in my mind is her sitting in the armchair of our living room, watching fairy-tales on TV and eating cookies Smile
There have been sad Christmas in the past, but as time goes by, I see how people I loved (either from my family or not) leave us year by year and especially at Christmas, it makes me sad even more, and this year another of those people left...... But I don´t want to cry at Christmas, I want to smile and remember the lovely moments these people gave me in my life Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something
SOS d'un terrien en detresse

Number of posts : 4437
Registration date : 2006-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Memories   30.12.09 0:51

thank you mary and michelle for sharing your memories.

i only have good christmas memories from when i was a child. we were like 6 or 7 kids around my age in my building when i was growing up. and our parents decided the santa will choose on apartment to visit. so each year we would all gather together at one apartment and wait for santa. and somebody dresses as santa would come every year with a big bag with gifts for all of us. those were fun times.

but as i got older chrstmas got less and less magical for me. i wish i could get those feeling back but i can't.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

Number of posts : 2023

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Memories   30.12.09 2:29

Thank you, Michelle and Irina, for adding your memories of Christmas. I know what both of you mean regarding the memories of loved ones and parents who have died, and how we wish they could be with us to share the special events surrounding this time of year. There will always be things we wish we had done with them or things we wish we had talked to them about at this time of year. It can't be helped; we are simply like that. It would be so nice to hear them tell the old stories they always told during the holiday season---the funny stuff and the sad things about relatives and friends who are long ago dead. It makes us sad, for sure, but we should be greatful that they lived such interesting lives and could share their hopes, dreams and adventures with us. It's our duty to carry on that tradition of re-telling those stories to our younger relatives. In that way those relatives live on way past their deaths.

irina wrote:
Quote :
but as i got older chrstmas got less and less magical for me. i wish i could get those feeling back but i can't.
Hard times and busy lives make it extremely difficult to reclaim or recreate those kinds of feelings. To a certain extent, when people have children they make it a point to create that magic for their children and, in the process, they recreate it for themselves (not saying, though, that anyone should rush right out and have children to reclaim those emotions, lol). Part of the problem is that the world has changed around us from what it was when any of us were children, and I doubt it can ever be the way it was, again. However, that doesn't mean we can't create new memories to supplement the old ones and bring back the magic that was of past Christmas seasons. It takes a bit of work and planning but I do believe it can be done.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheena

Number of posts : 5583

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Memories   30.12.09 14:36

My earliest memory of Christmas is standing with my brother at the back door of our farmhouse watching dad leading our new pony accross the bottom yard (he was too big to get down the chimney, so Santa left him out in a stable!), I was about five or so.

I am told (though I do not remember it myself) that at the next school Christmas concert when Santa was trying to get me to tell what I wanted for Xmas & I was (as usual) saying little, he asked me if I would like him to bring me a pony. Appartently I replied "You brought me one last year!" (unspoken comment - you silly man!!!) I imagine everyone was very amused....

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Memories   

Back to top Go down

Christmas Memories
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Miscellaneous :: Anything/ Discussion divers hors patinage-
Jump to: