Ahh, well, ok, at least bronze Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dailslidosanalv.ucoz.com/
lonnie
Love's divine

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2009-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver-Pairs event (SP & LP)   16.02.10 7:25

Wow, what a morning. Can't believe I made it to work at all...

P/T were wonderful. I was not a fan of this team but last year they seemed to morph, kind of what happened to S/Z in 2003, becoming so much better. I was so happy for them and so amazed they did so well. An amazing world record on the LP, which I suppose will stand for a long time.
S/Z to me are breathtaking. A pity about the mistake on the lift, as I wanted them to win both parts of the competition but it was all so great anyway. I wanted this crowning moment for them for sol long and it finally came through.
I am happy that S/S managed to get on the podium. It was such a tough year for them healthwise and just getting there is a big accomplishment.

P/T's medal got me thinking about Brian's situation. There is some similarity between their careers. Both were world champions once, had a few other medals but never managed to live their potential to the fullest (though Brian has been more successful than P/T). Both were bitterly disappointed in Torino. Both fields are now dominated by returing champions, and newer skaters playing the numbers game. I want Brian to win gold very much, but if he were to have his "P/T moemnt", a magical, record-breaking LP and end up with silver I will be happy, too.

Oh, well, I'm too tired to think streight, anyway. You can just guess how much work I can get done today.

Lonnie
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oana24

Number of posts : 973
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver-Pairs event (SP & LP)   16.02.10 10:53

What a pity for Aliona & Robin, i so wanted them to win Sad But i hope that this defeat will motivate them to continue until the next Olympics and then grab gold.

All in all, it was a beautiful competition and a tough battle in the pairs event. Shen & Zhao were impressive as usual. Although it wasn't my favourite program of theirs, i can't deny that they deserved to win & that they pulled off an amazing comeback. And Pang & Tong were fantastic last night, it was the first time i actually liked them. But as much as i liked the Chinese pairs, watching them skate never gave me the goosebumps and the beautiful feeling i get when Aliona & Robin skate, that's why i hope with all my heart that S&S won't give up and keep fighting for their Olympic gold.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lonnie
Love's divine

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2009-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver-Pairs event (SP & LP)   16.02.10 11:30

oana24 wrote:
But as much as i liked the Chinese pairs, watching them skate never gave me the goosebumps and the beautiful feeling i get when Aliona & Robin skate, that's why i hope with all my heart that S&S won't give up and keep fighting for their Olympic gold.

That is interesing because it is exactly how I feel about the Germans - I can appreciate thei quality, but their programs, no matter how beautiful, leave me cold. I just don't get any feeling from them. OTOH S/Z just emitt feelings, to me. Again, this is somthing that they couldn't do in the early years of thei career, when they were purely technicians.

I also hope that S/S go on for a few more years. I am hoping that S/Z's success will push other skaters to stay on for a lot more - if they can win OGM at 31/36 years old - anything is possible.

BTW, if Patrick Chan thought that Plushy is old, what does he think about S/Z?...

Lonnie
Back to top Go down
View user profile
quintia
Matrix

Number of posts : 3229

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver-Pairs event (SP & LP)   16.02.10 12:50

Well, that was interesting to say the least. I'm ecstatic for all the medalists, but particularly Shen and Zhao. Overall though, the pairs LP was so disappointing after the great SP. Everyone seemed to have mistakes, except for Pang and Tong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oana24

Number of posts : 973

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver-Pairs event (SP & LP)   16.02.10 12:55

lonnie wrote:
oana24 wrote:
But as much as i liked the Chinese pairs, watching them skate never gave me the goosebumps and the beautiful feeling i get when Aliona & Robin skate, that's why i hope with all my heart that S&S won't give up and keep fighting for their Olympic gold.

That is interesing because it is exactly how I feel about the Germans - I can appreciate thei quality, but their programs, no matter how beautiful, leave me cold. I just don't get any feeling from them. OTOH S/Z just emitt feelings, to me. Again, this is somthing that they couldn't do in the early years of thei career, when they were purely technicians.

I also hope that S/S go on for a few more years. I am hoping that S/Z's success will push other skaters to stay on for a lot more - if they can win OGM at 31/36 years old - anything is possible.

BTW, if Patrick Chan thought that Plushy is old, what does he think about S/Z?...

Lonnie
Well Lonnie, it's a matter of taste and i think we're all a little subjective in judging our favourite skaters. I can see how great S&Z are, but with Aliona & Robin i also can feel it. This morning i watched Aliona & Robin's LP from last year's Worlds in which they also used a part of Adagio and it gave me shivers down my spine, unlike S&Z last night. That's why i want S&S to go on so badly, even if some might consider them ancient in 4 years from now. Unfortunately not everyone is as gifted and as lucky as Patrick Chan to be so brilliant at such young an age... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Malgosia
vip

Number of posts : 3247

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver-Pairs event (SP & LP)   16.02.10 13:05

Both Chinese pairs were brilliant. Shen&Zhao are an inspiration to never give up on your dreams. Just wow!

I'm so sad for Aliona&Robin though. They are such an exciting pair to watch and their skating is like magic. The image of Aliona struggling to hold her tears back during the medal ceremnony was

A piece from press-conference (source: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE61F1HY20100216?type=sportsNews):
While the Chinese skaters barely stopped smiling in the news conference, German bronze medalists Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy could not hide their disappointment.
Their glum faces only broke into a smile when Zhao was asked what advice he could give the Germans on how to lift themselves up enough to try for gold at the next Olympics.
Having won bronze in 2002 and 2006, Zhao has plenty of wisdom on the subject.
"Don't wait until you're 37 to get your gold," he told them.

I really really hope Germans will stay until Sochi 2010!

Last edited by Malgosia on 16.02.10 14:01; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mba83
Lord of the Dance

Number of posts : 1898
Registration date : 2008-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver-Pairs event (SP & LP)   16.02.10 13:53

1. X.Shen/H.Zhao (CHN)

Music: Adagio in G Minor. This season is very popular. But in Pairs I haven't seen till yesterday, and as I could see its fits to them too. Or the great pairs made that it fits Smile In fact they don't won FS, cuz her little problem with lift's ending so then they was too nervous (or that program looked like they were). What can I say they had a big presuure on ther back....

2.Q.Pang/J.Tong (CHN)

Yesterday: Impossible dream came true for those pair.They won not only silver medal but they won a FS too. Program with passion, full of energy but everything was well componed. Not to fast not to slow. They had a good position cuz Aliona and Robin and Yuko and Sasha made mistakes (yayks), so Chineese pair saw the green ligh to got podium. And they didin't waste their opportunity.

3. Aliona Savchenko/ Robin Szolkovy (GER)

Congratulations and sorries. Congratulations cuz they finally got medal on OG, and the choreography on their FS was brilliant. But sorry for mistakes on jumps by Robin. Every throws were fantastic not their best but still beautiful. They lost their chance on Gold. Little pity.

4. Yuko Kavaguti/ Alexander Smirnov (RUS)

UUUUUUUUU When I was little I couldn't image podium without Russian... I didn't know that time would come. Everything was nice but only nice. Not on the podium sorry for them Sad

6. Jessica Dube/Bryce Davison (CAN)

Actually I don't remeber their program, it wasn't so intrestions I guess. Jessica fell, and the choreography didn't touch my heart.

7. Maria Mukhortowa/ Maxim Trankov (RUS)

And my favourities.... they jumped on 7th place... the program was lovely, and touching... both had a problems. Yesterday Maria fell (no no no no not necessary). Little succes cuz their FP was 5th this evening Smile Bravo!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leki
James Bond

Number of posts : 1223
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver-Pairs event (SP & LP)   16.02.10 17:04

oana24 wrote:

Well Lonnie, it's a matter of taste and i think we're all a little subjective in judging our favourite skaters. I can see how great S&Z are, but with Aliona & Robin i also can feel it. This morning i watched Aliona & Robin's LP from last year's Worlds in which they also used a part of Adagio and it gave me shivers down my spine, unlike S&Z last night. That's why i want S&S to go on so badly, even if some might consider them ancient in 4 years from now. Unfortunately not everyone is as gifted and as lucky as Patrick Chan to be so brilliant at such young an age... Rolling Eyes

Yup, we're all subjective except when it comes to Brian Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nona
SOS d'un terrien en detresse

Number of posts : 4751

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver-Pairs event (SP & LP)   16.02.10 17:41

Quote :
X.Shen/H.Zhao (CHN)

Music: Adagio in G Minor. This season is very popular. But in Pairs I haven't seen till yesterday, and as I could see its fits to them too

Thanks for the comments on the programs ladies! I just got back from school so I haven't seen the lp's yet! Adagio in G minor is such a beautiful song! Ihave to see the program! Hopefuly there will be vids available on Fvids!

Nina
vip

Number of posts : 3534
Registration date : 2006-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver-Pairs event (SP & LP)   21.02.10 12:58

Aljona and Robin might not make it back to Vancouver in time!!!!!
http://de.eurosport.yahoo.com/21022010/30/lufthansa-streik-bedroht-rueckkehr-steuers-paar.html (german)
They planned to fly back on Feb 25th in order to skate at the gala on 27th. but now there will be a strike of the german airline Lufthansa which is planned for 22th-25th!!
that's so stupid. i didn't understand steuer's decision to fly back to Germany in the first place!! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

Number of posts : 3974

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver-Pairs event (SP & LP)   21.02.10 14:24

They flew back to Germany? this is strange... why they couldnt enjoy the Olympics for a while? I see they are probably disappointed but everybody needs some distraction.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nina
vip

Number of posts : 3534
Registration date : 2006-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver-Pairs event (SP & LP)   21.02.10 16:31

Steuer wanted them to train for Worlds already!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
humming bird
Le Blues du Businessman

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2006-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver-Pairs event (SP & LP)   21.02.10 17:51

Wow, that is strange. Oh come on, let them rest for a moment Ingo Rolling Eyes
I hope they'll get back on time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

Number of posts : 3974

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver-Pairs event (SP & LP)   21.02.10 18:18

I see, but if a young Slovak skater like Ivana Reitmayerová could arrange private ice time because she arrived soon to Vancouver, then the 3-time world champions could have done the same. Did they really need that travel back and forth?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nona
SOS d'un terrien en detresse

Number of posts : 4751

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver-Pairs event (SP & LP)   21.02.10 18:21

Huh? that's weird! thanks for the news Nina! wouldn't that also cost a lot of money, time and jet lags?

Quote :
Steuer wanted them to train for Worlds already!!

affraid need to say more?

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vancouver-Pairs event (SP & LP)   

Back to top Go down

Vancouver-Pairs event (SP & LP)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Olympics Winter Games Vancouver 2010 :: Only for the olympics games-
Jump to: