Brian Joubert Discussion Group

PortalHomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsLog inFacebookTwitter

Share | 

Interview with a Vancouver Olympics judge!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blue Bead
vip

Number of posts : 2023
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Interview with a Vancouver Olympics judge!   08.03.10 3:17

http://figureskate.wordpress.com/2010/03/08/patrick-ibens-interview/

This is a must-read for anyone interested in how the just finished Olympic skating was judged, as well as, how other competitions are scored. Much of this is rather eye-opening in regard to what the interviewed judge, Patrick Ibens, has to say.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Claire25

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Interview with a Vancouver Olympics judge!   08.03.10 10:43

thanks for the interview, it was really interesting to read.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nona
SOS d'un terrien en detresse

Number of posts : 4751

PostSubject: Re: Interview with a Vancouver Olympics judge!   08.03.10 11:43

Quote :
TW: Based on your own definitions and since you were on the judging panel for the mens competition, which man would you consider the strongest on each of the five?

PI: Skating skills: Takahashi, Transitions and choreography: Chan, Performance: Lysacek, Interpretation: Abbott.

Ok this scares the hell out of me!!!

REally intresting article Mary!! Thank you!
Quote :
Adrian Schultheiss, had the best quadruple toe loop of the evening and didn’t even make it to the top five!

TRUE!!

But while reading this article, I have feeling that the Belgium judge is really big fan of artistic skating and nog technical skating. All these examples which he gives...

Quote :
Yes, I did receive the e-mail, but everybody who knows me also knows that I won’t be influenced by such things. This Inman e-mail was the second of the kind sent.

Second....???
Quote :
anything is possible now since we as judges don’t know what the technical panel has decided on as far as levels and downgrades. We also do not know our previous marks so it is possible that you accidently gave the higher mark to the other skater although as a good judge you have your ways to get around that!
This interview is so good! There are things about the scoring system that I didn't even know about. Although what the judge is saying herea bove is a big problem! Not even to mention to 'highest'and lowest'scores which they rule out during the competition!

Quote :
A judge who basically does not know anything can give all the wrong marks or completely guess and their marks fall into an average! But someone who wants to have wide margins between components might be singled out for doing so. For example, when scoring the first three groups at the World Championships, you give between 5.50 and 7.00 and you are in the safe corridor. When the last groups come on the ice, give between 7.00 and 8.50 and you’re safe again!

Damn! sorry I never thought about it in this way............

Quote :
TW: So you feel that some judges mark their five components on a generally similar level so that they won’t be outside of the judging “corridor” and have an assessment at the end of the competition, possibly leading to no future assignments?

PI: They certainly do!!!

O_O

Katri
Mexican Hat Dance

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Interview with a Vancouver Olympics judge!   08.03.10 12:10

thank you! very interesting interview Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sevda
Ces soirées-là

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2007-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Interview with a Vancouver Olympics judge!   08.03.10 13:14

thanks mary Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ekaterina
Lord of the Dance

Number of posts : 1935

PostSubject: Re: Interview with a Vancouver Olympics judge!   08.03.10 13:23

Thank you for posting the link! It was interesting to read. Also, it made me wondering if that judge was 100% truthful. I find it hard to believe in his honesty, especially since he admits that there are some skaters with whom he keeps in touch. Besides, I don't trust those who berate their own kind ('10% are honest, the rest are either being biased or unprofessional. I've been in the sport for 40 years and not a blemish on my cristal-clear reputation, bla-bla-bla...) The way he's trying to blacken everyone around him and make himself look like a saint is a bit suspicious, or is it just me?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tony Wheeler

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Interview with a Vancouver Olympics judge!   08.03.10 14:03

Many judges keep in touch with skaters from around the world. It's not uncommon at all for the judges to do some traveling in the early months of the season to watch the skaters' new programs and offer suggestions. I mean, there's no better source for opinions than the people actually judging the stuff!

I asked him how many judges he thought had been COMPLETELY honest throughout the years that he's been involved, and he said 10% . He wasn't berating anyone specifically, but would you rather go straight to a source and get a fabricated answer, or an honest opinion? As you see from my response, I was even surprised the number was so low, but he is around the "action" for many of the big competitions, while none of us are.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gislaine
The Boss

Number of posts : 13307
Registration date : 2006-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Interview with a Vancouver Olympics judge!   08.03.10 15:34

Thanks a lot for this article which is interesting to read and that m' brought good answers.
Welcome on BJDG Tony and thank you for this interview.
Merci beaucoup pour cet article qui est intéressant à lire et qui m' a apporté des bonnes réponses .
Bienvenu sur le BJDG Tony et merci pour cet interview .

Gislaine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheena

Number of posts : 5583

PostSubject: Re: Interview with a Vancouver Olympics judge!   08.03.10 16:41

Thanks to Mary for linking to this very interesting interview!

welcome Tony!

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roosje
The Mission

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Interview with a Vancouver Olympics judge!   08.03.10 17:51

He says he is now going to give advice to skaters...maybe Brian shoud give him a ring! Laughing

But thanx Mary for this article. It really explained a lot!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: Interview with a Vancouver Olympics judge!   08.03.10 18:09

I have to give an enormous "thank you" to Tony Wheeler for conducting, writing and putting this interview online. When I first saw it through a link at Golden Skate Forum I thought I'd hit the jackpot, lol. Stuff I'd always suspected was going on behind the scenes, really is! I'm so glad Tony had the guts to ask this kind of thing of that judge, and I agree completely that the best way to find this stuff out is to ask those who are involved in it on a regular basis.

What really surprised me was the part about a "second" email from Joe Inman. Good Lord, if the one that was outted was that revealing, what was the other one like? I'd still like to know who "outted" that email and why but that's off-topic, so I'll shut up on that point, lol.

Mary C.

Last edited by Blue Bead on 08.03.10 18:36; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
li
Mexican Hat Dance

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2007-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Interview with a Vancouver Olympics judge!   08.03.10 18:20

Thank you for the link. It's really interesting. It opens eyes on what's going on during competitions. I totally agree with him about Daisuke. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bladette
James Bond

Number of posts : 1036
Registration date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Interview with a Vancouver Olympics judge!   09.03.10 13:57

Quote :
I am not Joubert’s biggest fan, but I think it’s the lowest thing an athlete can do is to try to put your fellow competitors in a negative light, so to speak.

I wonder how many times I have read comments on various skating forums and interviews which begin "I am not Brian's fan, BUT..."
Like you should first excuse that you like his skating. I have never read that "I am not a Takahashi fan, BUT his costumes are nice" or "I am not a Lysacek fan, but he has nice programs." It is always I am not a Joubert fan, but..... Like it would be shameful to like him or people would be afraid that someone thinks that they are Joubert fans. grrrrrrrrrmur
I am sorry this is off-topic, but I have noticed this numerous times and it pisses me of, lol! Razz

The interview was great and it seems like there is even more politiks and stuff going on behind the scenes than I thought. Oh, depressing. Evil or Very Mad I wonder if they have already decided the dance podium for Worlds?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ekaterina
Lord of the Dance

Number of posts : 1935

PostSubject: Re: Interview with a Vancouver Olympics judge!   09.03.10 16:32

Tony Wheeler wrote:
Many judges keep in touch with skaters from around the world. It's not uncommon at all for the judges to do some traveling in the early months of the season to watch the skaters' new programs and offer suggestions. I mean, there's no better source for opinions than the people actually judging the stuff!

I asked him how many judges he thought had been COMPLETELY honest throughout the years that he's been involved, and he said 10% . He wasn't berating anyone specifically, but would you rather go straight to a source and get a fabricated answer, or an honest opinion? As you see from my response, I was even surprised the number was so low, but he is around the "action" for many of the big competitions, while none of us are.

Of course, he wasn't berating anyone specifically, but his words made me wondering if he really counted himself among those 10%. Probably, it's just me, but I live in a corrupted country and it taught me not to trust people claiming that they are honest, especially those holding power.

Again, thank you for the amazing interview.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: Interview with a Vancouver Olympics judge!   09.03.10 17:40

Bladette wrote:
Quote :
I wonder if they have already decided the dance podium for Worlds?
As much as I hate to say this---it would not surprise me, at all, if they have already decided (or are in the last stages of deciding) who will skate away with the medals at World's.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tony Wheeler

PostSubject: Re: Interview with a Vancouver Olympics judge!   09.03.10 20:24

Ekaterina- That would be another question that I would have to ask him in a second-time-around type of thing, I suppose Smile

Blue Bead- I am also an Ohioan Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: Interview with a Vancouver Olympics judge!   09.03.10 21:30

Tony Wheeler wrote:
Quote :
Blue Bead- I am also an Ohioan
Not to get too much off-topic, here, hide8up LOL.....but I already knew that, Tony. I'm a long time FSU lurker, LOL.

Back on-topic, Tony, do you plan to do another interview with this judge? Would that ever be a possibility?

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tony Wheeler

PostSubject: Re: Interview with a Vancouver Olympics judge!   09.03.10 21:57

I've known Ibens for a long time now.. it would definitely be a possibility. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: Interview with a Vancouver Olympics judge!   09.03.10 22:23

Oh, goody!!! I'd love to see what else he would be willing to expose, lol.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interview with a Vancouver Olympics judge!   

Back to top Go down

Interview with a Vancouver Olympics judge!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Olympics Winter Games Vancouver 2010 :: Only for the olympics games-
Jump to: