Happy Memorial Day in the US!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blue Bead
vip

Number of posts : 2023
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Happy Memorial Day in the US!   31.05.10 16:39

Today, May 31st, those of us in the US honor not only the friends, loved ones and countrymen who have fought and died in wars but, also, the non-military members of our familes. On Memorial Day many individuals and familes trek to the cemeteries where the deceased members of their families are laid to rest and place wreaths, blooming plants and other memorials upon the graves.

As a national holiday, Memorial Day, is also a day to spend time with family and friends. Backyard cookouts are popular when the weather is good as are trips to theme parks and water parks or simply sitting around catching up with family members and friends.

When I was a child my mother and her youngest sister would make plans to travel to a city about 60 miles north of where we lived, to do the annual plantings around the headstones of their parents. My mom and aunt would buy geraniums and petunias at a local greenhouse and tote them all the way up to the cemetery. They insisted that my father, uncle and my two male cousins go along, and as a way of placating us (particularly me and my cousins, lol) they would cook up an elaborate picnic lunch to be eaten in the park next to the cemetery. Luckily for me and my cousins, there were swings and a slide in the park; they were the only things which made the whole annual trip bearable for us, LOL. My father and uncle were happiest about the lavish picnic lunch. Laughing The tradition ended when my uncle died, however. My aunt lost all interest in traveling up to that cemetery and, without her sister's help, my mother decided that it was all too much work for her on her own, so the tradition ended.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gislaine
The Boss

Number of posts : 13304
Registration date : 2006-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Happy Memorial Day in the US!   31.05.10 17:48

Happy Mémorial Day to all the American friends of the BJDG!
It's a pity that your mom does not continue the tradition!
I did not know this holiday!

Gislaine
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Happy Memorial Day in the US!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Miscellaneous :: Anything/ Discussion divers hors patinage-
Jump to: