View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ekaterina
Lord of the Dance

Number of posts : 1935
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Skates and Blades   24.08.06 0:45

When I was 7 or 8, my aunt presented me with skates, very old ones. My parents didn't have enough time to take me to the ice-rink, so I used to put them on and 'skate' on the floor. Then my mom noticed several deep scratches and stopped my skating career;) Now I want to change it... What I need now is skates. I've looked through some on-line shops, but now I'm even more confused. Mainly they offer four types of skates:

- professional (about $150)
- not so professional, but still - professional.
- not professional ("for pleasure")
- for beginners (about $40)

But... I have no idea about the principle difference between them Question As well as I have no idea which skates I'm to buy, if I've never skated before, but have a strong willing to learn.
Any advise will be appreciated!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jillypoo83
Untouchable

Number of posts : 84

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   24.08.06 6:39

Rina - I don't know a lot about ice skating, but since i used to roller skate artistically, i can help you with a little bit. A lot of times the skate's boot makes the price different. The more expensive skates will have a boot that is very strong and stable, which is what you'll want if you plan on doing jumps. No one wants to land a jump in a weak boot that won't support your landing! I don't think that $150 is a bad price; i've paid almost $400 for a pair of roller skates! If you have a better pair of skates you'll lessen your risk of injury, and believe me, having a hurt ankle or foot is no good! If you have the money, i'd go for the professional skates.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ekaterina
Lord of the Dance

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   24.08.06 15:26

Thank you hugs After your advise I had a closer look at all those boots and they seem to have different level of hardness.
btw, I've never heard about figure roller skating:) It must be very interesting!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

Number of posts : 2023

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   24.08.06 16:14

Hi, Rina

Rather than buy the wrong type of boot and blade, you might consider talking to a skating coach at the rink first where you'll be taking lessons and find out what he or she would recommend. That way, you'll know the type of boots and blade which would be appropriate for your beginning level of skating. In the end it will be less costly to get the skates that are appropriate for beginners than it will to spend a ton of money on a type of skate you don't need yet, and could very make learning beginner-level technique harder than necessary.

Beginners don't need the same degree of firmness and support in the leather that more advanced skaters doing multiple jumps every day need. A skating coach has the experience to advise you about all of that. Besides, fitting skating boots is an art and needs to be done by someone trying your foot in different boots. Catalogs are wonderful as sources for what's available, but unless you already know what you need for sure, buying out of a catalogue isn't a good idea for a beginner. Get your boots and blades fitted at a figure skating shop.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rach
vip

Number of posts : 2458
Registration date : 2006-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   24.08.06 18:25

OK, I feel that it is more important to get a good blade than a "good" boot. Generally the higher-level boots are stiffer and more durable, made to handle the impact of higher and more frequent jumps. As a beginner you will not want a boot that is that stiff; you would find it very difficult to skate in.

As for the blades, however, you DO want a decent blade as it is easy to develop bad habits on bad blades. For example, I know a girl who taps very hard on her pick-jumps and makes huge holes in the ice because she learned on cheap blades with very small toe picks. When she switched to decent blades, she still had the habit of slamming her foot into the ice, and it had been hard for her to abandon it.

Also, I agree that you should absolutely get fitted by a professional!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ekaterina
Lord of the Dance

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   24.08.06 18:53

Mary C., Rach, thank you bisousfleurs The trouble is - though it's Russia, a big figure skating country, there are very few skating schools outside two capitals, and I didn't happen to live in either of them.
The only skating school here is for babies. If a child makes any visible progress they move to Moscow or Saint-Petersburg (Berezintsev and Tikhonov are good examples). So I don't think I'll be able to find a coach here:(
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

Number of posts : 2023

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   25.08.06 1:47

Rina....You may not be able to find a coach who handles older young people but you can certainly ask the advice of one of those coaches about boot and blade selection. Even though they work with much younger people they'll still have the knowledge to heldp you.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheena

Number of posts : 5583

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   25.08.06 12:52

Lots of good advice for you Rina! I can only add what my father used to say "always buy the best you can afford". So take the expert advice of the teachers in your rink, buy the best you can & enjoy your skating!!!

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ekaterina
Lord of the Dance

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   25.08.06 14:10

Sheena, thank you! The only thing I have to do is to wait for October, when the season starts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Love2Smile
ma gueule

Number of posts : 1392

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   31.08.06 5:42

Hi Rina!
YAY for you!! I hope all goes well as you begin to skate!! hugs

I also agree that it is best to seek a professional to help you find skates... He or she can help you to know how the skates should fit, what strength of boot you need, etc.

One of the most important things about skate shopping is to find a boot that fits your foot correctly. Keep in mind that different brands of skates are shaped differently, so I recommend trying on many different ones before deciding which to purchase. Some skates can come in wide or narrow widths, too, if the origional shape is too wide or too narrow for your foot.
Be sure to wear the kind of stockings you intend to wear while skating when trying the skates on. The difference between socks and tights can make quite a difference in how the boot fits your foot.

It is absolutely true that there are some skates that are cheap and almost useless, while others would be too advanced/stiff for your begining skill level. There are, however, some good beginner skates out there.

Good luck!! bisousfleurs
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.poeticwanderings.wordpress.com
Rach
vip

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   01.09.06 12:43

I would like to add to love2smile's very good advice that you should pay particular attention to how the boot is fit in the heel area. I have seen many skaters have troubles because the heel fit is too wide, and they end up with painful blisters. This measurement is something that varies between brands, so if one doesn't fit right, try another!

Also, if the bones around your ankle hurt in the boot, this is normal, and it is possible to get the boot 'punched out' in this area. In my rink, this is done with a hydraulic press but there are many, many ways of 'punching out' sore spots --- ask someone in your area who is knowledgable about figure skating for more information.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ekaterina
Lord of the Dance

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   04.12.06 18:43

I just wanted to say that finally I can't make my choice between Risport and Riedell. lol. It's pretty stupid, but the reason is: Brian prefers Risport and Johnny - Riedell lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheena

Number of posts : 5583

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   04.12.06 22:19

I have Risport - though I hardly get to wear them these days!!!!

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Love2Smile
ma gueule

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   06.12.06 17:19

LOL Rina! lol!

Really?? Risports are still available?? I haven't even seen any Risports in US skate stores in years... I used to skate in those, and I really liked them because of their slightly wider shape in the front foot area. But my coach didn't like them because she thought the heel of the boot was too high.
I could never wear Reidell... The shape is just too wrong for my foot...
Now I wear Jacksons, but I also like Graph boots (I think I still like those a little better, actually).

Just remember that Reidell and Risport are two very different boots, if I remember correctly, so make sure you try them on and see what feels best!
Good luck! sunny
Back to top Go down
Ekaterina
Lord of the Dance

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   08.12.06 11:48

Heidi, not only are they still available, but also - very popular:)

I know that comfort comes first. But for me good associations are also important Wink That's why Graf was never an option lol!

And of course, I'll try both Riedell and Risport to see what fits better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rach
vip

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   08.12.06 12:40

Yay for Risport.

I loved my Risport.

I am buying more Risport.

Only this time, I'm buying them strong enough so they don't break down in two weeks.

mdr
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Love2Smile
ma gueule

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   09.12.06 4:54

I get the impression that you really like Risport, Rach :greensmilewink

Rina, well then, if you're going by associations, go for the Risport! Drapeau :greensmilewink
Back to top Go down
Rach
vip

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   09.12.06 16:49

Love2Smile wrote:
I get the impression that you really like Risport, Rach :greensmilewink

Rina, well then, if you're going by associations, go for the Risport! Drapeau :greensmilewink

NO... You really think so? :greensmilewink

Honestly, more accurately, Risport is much lighter than anything else that I have tried. Granted, if you are used to something more "substantial" it may seem almost "cheap"... until you attempt an element like a death drop and marvel at the ease with which you can now fling your foot over your head.

They are also very confortable despite the lack of padding... one is more in tune with the foot, ankle, and their position relative the blade and the ice.

The only problems that I encountered with my latest pair were a/ Difficulty adjusting to the balance point, which is in fact a sheer inevitablility of any abrupt brand-swich, and b/ They were *trashed* in two weeks. Again I suspect this is my fault for buying the wrong model. Rolling Eyes I need to find out exactly what Brian has; if he, on his considerably larger frame, can make two pairs last an entire year, then I can too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ekaterina
Lord of the Dance

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   09.12.06 17:14

http://www.sge-pasquier.com/2005/index.php?cat=5&idNews=144&action=read_news

It looks like Brian uses a model based on RF2.

edit: But I also noticed that Brian has switched to other model this season. Or it's probably just my imagination, but his boots look too different from what he was wearing last year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rach
vip

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   09.12.06 19:03

Ekaterina wrote:
http://www.sge-pasquier.com/2005/index.php?cat=5&idNews=144&action=read_news

It looks like Brian uses a model based on RF2.

edit: But I also noticed that Brian has switched to other model this season. Or it's probably just my imagination, but his boots look too different from what he was wearing last year.

:thanks:

for your noticing.
I have seen that site many times, but I need to know what modifications a part the hooks are made to his skates, because my RF2s "kicked the bucket" rather prematurely. This possible new model observation really helps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Love2Smile
ma gueule

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   10.12.06 6:19

I know what you mean about lighter boots!!
I loved skating in Grafs after having been in the *MUCH HEAVIER* Harlick boots the year before.... And the Jacksons that I have now are also pretty light. :super:
Back to top Go down
humming bird
Le Blues du Businessman

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2006-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   15.12.06 16:36

how long can you skate in one pair of skates until it... brokes and you have to buy a new one?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rach
vip

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   15.12.06 17:34

humming bird wrote:
how long can you skate in one pair of skates until it... brokes and you have to buy a new one?

That depends on the kind of skate, how much you skate, and what you do while you skate.

I would say that a year of skating out of a boot is a good goal, unless you skate very frequently or are doing triple jumps and higher, in which case you are fortunate if your skates survive 6 months.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ekaterina
Lord of the Dance

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   03.01.07 13:40

Today I've bought my own skates youpi. Not exactly what I wanted, but still they are pretty good!

I looked through a Trial-Sport catalogue over and over and over again before setting off to the Trial-Sport shop this morning with a strong desire to buy Riedells Bronze Medallion. And - ooops- they are not available. I decided to go with another pair of Riedells - Blue Ribbon. I absolutely adore them!

Only I'm beginning to hate people who think they are experts when they are not! I've been given so many 'you-should-buy-this-and-you-should-not-buy-that' advices, so many people tried to talk me out of buying 'so stiff and so expensive' boot when I'm only a beginner, that I really felt like I was committing a capital crime.

Even my mother thought that I should go with something like K2 Ice Skates. Just because she saw three different people buy these skates, while I was having my riedells heat molded.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rach
vip

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   04.01.07 15:37

hmmm well, if the skates suit you well, congratulations for finding them ! Me, I have not heard good things about Riedell but have never tried them myself... who knows, some people DARE to say that Risport is a bad brand !

O______O blaspheme !

Ok I'm leaving...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   

Back to top Go down

Skates and Blades
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Skating General :: Technical Talk-