View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Ekaterina
Lord of the Dance

Number of posts : 1935
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   04.01.07 16:20

Rach, after another zillion of pages of different comments on both brands I decided to follow the best advice I had ever been given - go to the shop and try everything of your size. That's what I did Very Happy These reidells are pretty good for basic skating, but they might be uncomfortable for professional skaters mainly because of their low profile.

And I simple love the way they look. Very feminine, indeed Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rach
vip

Number of posts : 2458
Registration date : 2006-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   05.01.07 15:53

Ekaterina wrote:

And I simple love the way they look. Very feminine, indeed Wink

lol!

My coach, she is so funny, always extolling the virtues of a beautiful boot! You would get along well!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Love2Smile
ma gueule

Number of posts : 1392

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   05.01.07 22:40

I'm glad that you found something that you like, Rina! :incass:
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.poeticwanderings.wordpress.com
Ekaterina
Lord of the Dance

Number of posts : 1935

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   26.08.07 21:42

I've got a problem and apparently need a piece of advice, 'cause I really have no idea whether it's normal or not Rolling Eyes
Each time I put on my reidells, it causes me so much pain that I find myself on the verge of tears.
The first 10 minutes, it feels odd followed by a very short span of 'perfect fitting'. The boot feels as it became part of my body. I'm literally flying across the rink enjoying every minute of being on ice. After 20 minutes or so my feet become extremely sensitive. I feel every single nail in the sole of the boot, every single seam, and this feeling is growing until it becomes really unbearable, and forces me to take the boots off..
While surfing the Net, I came across quite a few opinions on the subject. That it takes time to break in new boots and - that I'd better get rid of reidells as fast as possible and get myself new ones. But really, I have no idea what's the problem... I tried various paddings with no result whatsoever. I thought I should have bought another size. But no, all measurements tell that the size is pretty ok. What then? I think of another heat moulding (I had them heat moulded the day I bought them, but I guess it didn't work the way it was supposed to, for it took me a hell lot of time to lace the boots and they were already warm when I finished lacing, so...)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eli
Daft Punk

Number of posts : 2565

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   02.12.07 1:10

I've got Risports Etoile with blades MK21... OK, I know that it's nothing special Razz
But I don't think that my skating skills require something better by now Wink
Anyway I skate 1-2 times a week and I don't do anything difficult as I attend figure skating classes just for a year.
I've been wondering how long can I skate on my skates until I will need to sharpen them?
I mean should I do it once a month or once a year???
I'm totally unaware of such things Embarassed so I'd appreciate any help!!! bisousfleurs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Karen
Mon ami

Number of posts : 418

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   02.12.07 1:36

Eli wrote:

I've been wondering how long can I skate on my skates until I will need to sharpen them?
I mean should I do it once a month or once a year???
I'm totally unaware of such things Embarassed so I'd appreciate any help!!! bisousfleurs

One rule I have heard is after about 40 hours on the ice. But once you start to slip sideways a little pale , then it is definitely time to have them sharpened, and hopefully by someone who does figure skates more than hockey skates. And remember that blades can only be sharpened so many times because the blades become thinner and thinner each time they are sharpened.

I find my blades are too sharp immediately after they have been sharpened. The blades dig so much into the ice that I cannot do a proper stop. On the other hand, I have no worries about holding outside edges Cool .

My first pair of skates, I was fitted by a teenage hockey player who told me that the boot must feel really tight. I never felt comfortable in those Riedells No , they rubbed my smallest toe really hard most of the time. My second pair was the first time I bought boots and blades separately. I like my Jackson boots, ( http://www.jacksonskate.com/jackson_skates/ , don't remember which model, one of the medium-priced ones) and I insisted on buying a half size larger than recommended. No idea about my blades. I told my instructor at the time to choose them for me, LOL. MK Diamonds? Much bigger toepick than my beginner skates. I had to relearn how to do back crossovers because they were suddenly scratchyyyyyyyy!!! affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.kodakgallery.com/photos-by-karen/skating
Eli
Daft Punk

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   02.12.07 2:03

Thank you Karen for the advices hugs
40 hours... then it seems I should sharpen my skates each half a year or so Wink
That sounds reasonably I guess.

Quote :
I find my blades are too sharp immediately after they have been sharpened.
Oh yeeeeesssssss....ITA Karen Wink
But I still don't get it why they can't sharpen them only as much as the skaters need it Rolling Eyes

Quote :
Much bigger toepick than my beginner skates. I had to relearn how to do back crossovers because they were suddenly scratchyyyyyyyy!!!
ITA once again Wink
Risport is not my first pair of skates... the very first one was called Botas (don't buy them if you can chose someting else!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rach
vip

Number of posts : 2458

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   02.12.07 13:50

Firstly, the 40 - hour rule sounds about right. I get mine done every week or two. However, I, personally, would suggest that you get them sharpened at least every three months. If you look at a blade, the part at the bottom, which is actually sharp, has a different colour/texture. This is because it is NOT made out of stainless steel like the rest of the blade, but a much stronger composite. If you study bladed weapons (like I do Razz), you will know that stainless steel is unsuitable for any blade that needs to hold an edge : The metal is too soft and will not keep its form under duress. This non-stainless steel part can, and will, rust, as it is constantly exposed to moisture. To prevent this, the blades are oiled and cleaned with each sharpening, just like one would maintain a good sword. Although drying the blades yourself after use is important, it still cannot remove all of the moisture because water from the atmosphere will condense onto the blade, on account of the temperature difference. Thus, the oil treatment is necessary if you would like your blades to last you a long time. Also, I don't think you will ever have this problem, but if all of that differently coloured bottom is sharpened off (it WILL happen, eventually, if you get the blades sharpened enough), it is time to get a new pair.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eli
Daft Punk

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   05.12.07 13:52

THANKS so much Rach for your professional advices hugs
I'll keep them in mind Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheena

Number of posts : 5583

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   06.12.07 19:48

Rina - did you ever manage to sort out your boot problems?

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skates and Blades   

Back to top Go down

Skates and Blades
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Skating General :: Technical Talk-
Jump to: