Gislaine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gislaine
The Boss

Number of posts : 13297
Registration date : 2006-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Articles sur Brian/Articles on Brian..6   15.03.12 18:53

http://www.centre-presse.fr/article-187782-patinage-deux-entraineurs-pour-joubert.html

Gislaine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nona
SOS d'un terrien en detresse

Number of posts : 4751
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Articles sur Brian/Articles on Brian..6   15.03.12 19:42

Thanks Gis for the articles! May I ask who Patrick is? He speeks about him in the last article.

Gislaine
The Boss

PostSubject: Re: Articles sur Brian/Articles on Brian..6   15.03.12 20:03

Nona wrote:
Thanks Gis for the articles! May I ask who Patrick is? He speeks about him in the last article.

Manon, Patrick is Patrick Gueppe

Gislaine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nona
SOS d'un terrien en detresse

Number of posts : 4751
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Articles sur Brian/Articles on Brian..6   15.03.12 21:54

aaah yes I just read the news on the two coaches in an other thread Smile thanks!

sevda
Ces soirées-là

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2007-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Articles sur Brian/Articles on Brian..6   15.03.12 23:55

thank you gis Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gislaine
The Boss

PostSubject: Re: Articles sur Brian/Articles on Brian..6   16.03.12 16:12

http://www.lanouvellerepublique.fr/Toute-zone/Sport/Sports-de-glisse/Patinage/n/Contenus/Articles/2012/03/16/Patinage-deux-entraineurs-pour-Joubert

Gislaine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sevda
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Articles sur Brian/Articles on Brian..6   17.03.12 0:33

thanks gis Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yulie
Blue Man Group

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2010-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Articles sur Brian/Articles on Brian..6   21.03.12 8:00

Here's an article about the changes to Brian's training situation, with quotes from both Brian and Veronique Guyon. My impression is that there is a real chance that Guyon will not remain as Brian's coach past this season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gislaine
The Boss

PostSubject: Re: Articles sur Brian/Articles on Brian..6   21.03.12 9:56

Merci l article Yulie,nous verrons bien ce qui va se passer pour la suite de la collaboration avec Veronique(a mon avis cela serait bien qu ils continuent en collaboration avec Patrick Gueppe ou autre...).
je pense qu apres Nice nous aurons des nouvelles.

Gislaine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bladette
James Bond

Number of posts : 1036
Registration date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Articles sur Brian/Articles on Brian..6   21.03.12 10:06

Thanks Yulie! I wouldn't mind if Brian leaves Veronique. I think his mental preparation has just gotten worse with her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yulie
Blue Man Group

PostSubject: Re: Articles sur Brian/Articles on Brian..6   21.03.12 10:17

Bladette wrote:
Thanks Yulie! I wouldn't mind if Brian leaves Veronique. I think his mental preparation has just gotten worse with her.
I think he likes her as a technical coach, and his jumps, when he's not too out of it mentally, look quite nice. Gis is right that a collaborative effort may do him good - having two coaches can work quite well (e.g. Shpilband and Zoueva, Krylova and Camerlengo, Nina Mozer and Stas Morozov, Yuka Sato and Jason Dungjen). We'll see what happens at and after Worlds.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bladette
James Bond

Number of posts : 1036
Registration date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Articles sur Brian/Articles on Brian..6   21.03.12 16:52

Also, it is odd that Veronique wanted Brian to quit after the Worlds in Nice Exclamation Shouldn't that be Brian's own decision!
And it sounds like Veronique's analysis of what went wrong in the Euros differs from Brian's. I really don't think they will continue together...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
facepalm
The Mission

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Articles sur Brian/Articles on Brian..6   21.03.12 18:01

If google translate is right, Guyon was speaking about his diplomas. I didn't even know he was going to school for anything until that recent news that he was getting one to coach. So it sounds to me like he was splitting his time between whatever he had to study with training for competitions. Plenty of skaters do that. Some of them go to become doctors but I've never understood it. You can only compete as an athlete in your youth. College is always going to be there.

Is that what it was saying? That he was busy with school?

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://twitter.com/#!/starshine_3
Yulie
Blue Man Group

PostSubject: Re: Articles sur Brian/Articles on Brian..6   21.03.12 18:09

facepalm wrote:
If google translate is right, Guyon was speaking about his diplomas. I didn't even know he was going to school for anything until that recent news that he was getting one to coach. So it sounds to me like he was splitting his time between whatever he had to study with training for competitions. Plenty of skaters do that. Some of them go to become doctors but I've never understood it. You can only compete as an athlete in your youth. College is always going to be there.
But loads of skaters are able to combine the two, and then they can jump right into their next career when their skating days are over. Alban Preaubert is one such example - he finished his Master's while still skating! Nathalie Pechalat has completed most of the requirements for a Master's degree. You just have to find the right balance. Other skaters who are students or recent graduates include Alissa Czisny, Tomas Verner, and pretty much every other ice dancer in Michigan.

However - I think Guyon was talking about Brian having two coaches, not two diplomas. Must have been a Google translate glitch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gislaine
The Boss

PostSubject: Re: Articles sur Brian/Articles on Brian..6   21.03.12 19:56

http://www.annecy-infosports.com/patinage-artistique/nice-renoue-avec-les-championnats-du-monde-de-patinage

Gislaine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sevda
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Articles sur Brian/Articles on Brian..6   22.03.12 2:05

thanks gis Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
facepalm
The Mission

PostSubject: Re: Articles sur Brian/Articles on Brian..6   22.03.12 2:13

Yulie wrote:

But loads of skaters are able to combine the two, and then they can jump right into their next career when their skating days are over. Alban Preaubert is one such example - he finished his Master's while still skating! Nathalie Pechalat has completed most of the requirements for a Master's degree. You just have to find the right balance. Other skaters who are students or recent graduates include Alissa Czisny, Tomas Verner, and pretty much every other ice dancer in Michigan.
Why balance? Most of the people you mentioned have very little gold in their coffers. Preaubert has left skating completely right? It looks like you either do both halfway or you choose one over the other eventually. It seems unnecessary to me when one can obviously be put off. We have a reporter in the US who keeps insisting Rachel Flatt quit and focus on college full-time. This year she was awful trying to do both. I mean to each his own but if you can have both in your lifetime, one after the other, I don't see why you'd need to do them simultaneously and maybe half-assed just to get it done before 30. I mean there's still plenty of time for Evgeni Plushenko and Evan Lysacek to become brain surgeons.
Back to top Go down
Yulie
Blue Man Group

PostSubject: Re: Articles sur Brian/Articles on Brian..6   22.03.12 7:14

facepalm wrote:
Why balance? Most of the people you mentioned have very little gold in their coffers. Preaubert has left skating completely right? It looks like you either do both halfway or you choose one over the other eventually. It seems unnecessary to me when one can obviously be put off. We have a reporter in the US who keeps insisting Rachel Flatt quit and focus on college full-time. This year she was awful trying to do both. I mean to each his own but if you can have both in your lifetime, one after the other, I don't see why you'd need to do them simultaneously and maybe half-assed just to get it done before 30. I mean there's still plenty of time for Evgeni Plushenko and Evan Lysacek to become brain surgeons.
I didn't notice Meryl Davis (cultural anthropology major at Michigan) and Charlie White (political science at Michigan) lacking in medals. Or Tessa Virtue (psychology major at Windsor), or Carolina Kostner, who is also a student (though she mainly takes distance courses, I think). Alban won several GP medals and probably went as far as his talent could take him, and he only left skating after graduating, for a job in the financial sector. Several skaters have spoken about how helpful it is to them to have other interests.

I know in the US there's a perception that elite sports and university can't be combined, thus the reaction to Rachael Flatt, but I disagree. Lots of people work and study - similarly, some people train and study. It is certainly possible to do both - and you can always take longer to finish your degree. Personally, I was amused by the descriptions of Rachael Flatt's hardships. She was taking three classes her first semester, only one of them in math/science! I never had fewer than six classes per semester as an undergrad, and I always worked parallel to school.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
facepalm
The Mission

PostSubject: Re: Articles sur Brian/Articles on Brian..6   22.03.12 7:28

Okay Yulie, I changed my mind. Everyone should go to college while they're skating. In fact, they should study right out there on the ice.
Back to top Go down
Yulie
Blue Man Group

PostSubject: Re: Articles sur Brian/Articles on Brian..6   22.03.12 7:39

facepalm wrote:
Okay Yulie, I changed my mind. Everyone should go to college while they're skating. In fact, they should study right out there on the ice.
No, people should do what's best for them. Some skaters prefer to focus on skating only (e.g. Patrick Chan), others on skating and school (the examples I gave), others yet might seek opportunities in the entertainment industry (Johnny Weir, Plushenko) or other business ventures. OTOH, there are also skaters who ended their career to focus on school, such as Yannick Ponsero. There is no one right way to go about things.

If someone is looking for a US-style "college experience" then probably doing it while an elite athlete is difficult. But it would also be difficult to do that in your late twenties, when you're in another place in your life. And not everyone is looking for that sort of experience anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yulie
Blue Man Group

PostSubject: Re: Articles sur Brian/Articles on Brian..6   04.04.12 6:13

Story and brief interview with Brian in La Nouvelle Republique. He confirmed that he is planning on going to the World Team Trophy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roosje
The Mission

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Articles sur Brian/Articles on Brian..6   04.04.12 7:01

Thanx Yulie!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Articles sur Brian/Articles on Brian..6