Sendai, Japan
6 - 9 Dec

Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final
(Combined Juniors and Seniors)
Sochi, Russia
5 - 8 Dec

Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final
Combined Juniors and Seniors)
http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4844-136494-137802-nav-list,00.html
TBA, Japan

Gislaine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gislaine
The Boss

Number of posts : 13331
Registration date : 2006-06-10

PostSubject: Re: 2012 Grand Prix   26.04.12 19:32

Gislaine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sevda
Ces soirées-là

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2007-05-12

PostSubject: Re: 2012 Grand Prix   26.04.12 23:03

merci gis Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anja
Caruso

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2009-09-03

PostSubject: Re: 2012 Grand Prix   27.04.12 19:46

2 - 4 Nov Cup of China? So Brian's win would be a great birthday present for me... Very Happy Drapeau
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marysy
Untouchable

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2012-04-08

PostSubject: Re: 2012 Grand Prix   27.04.12 23:34

Apparently there's been some mention that the Grand Prix announcements would be announced May 19th, though unconfirmed.

Last year I think they were made end of June. Is there a typical time frame?

Is it pretty certain that Brian would get assigned to TEB and Cup of China again? Do federations usually take into consideration athletes' preferences?

(Apologies if the answers to these questions seem obvious. I haven't followed the minutia of eligible skating in some time.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yulie
Blue Man Group

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2010-07-11

PostSubject: Re: 2012 Grand Prix   28.04.12 5:14

marysy wrote:
Apparently there's been some mention that the Grand Prix announcements would be announced May 19th, though unconfirmed.

Last year I think they were made end of June. Is there a typical time frame?

Is it pretty certain that Brian would get assigned to TEB and Cup of China again? Do federations usually take into consideration athletes' preferences?
I believe GP announcements are typically made in June. Last year was late June, 2010 was mid-June. In 2009, the GP series started earlier than normal, I guess because it was an Olympic year, and the announcements were made at the end of May.

As for TEB assignments, the FFSG has a problem. They have to pick two seeded skaters: one Worlds medalist and one 4-6 finisher. But both Brian and Florent are 4-6 finishers. What to do? The JSF finds itself in a similar situation with the NHK Trophy, BTW. My guess is that they will try to persuade Flo to ask for a third event and then they can have both guys there. If not, I imagine one will go to Russia. I do expect Brian at CoC.

I believe seeded skaters can ask for assignments but I doubt these requests are binding. For instance, V/M like going to Paris. They could ask for it this year, but they're not going to get it, because Nathalie and Fabian will be the seeded medalists at TEB.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yulie
Blue Man Group

PostSubject: Re: 2012 Grand Prix   03.05.12 18:28

Yulie wrote:
As for TEB assignments, the FFSG has a problem. They have to pick two seeded skaters: one Worlds medalist and one 4-6 finisher. But both Brian and Florent are 4-6 finishers. What to do? The JSF finds itself in a similar situation with the NHK Trophy, BTW. My guess is that they will try to persuade Flo to ask for a third event and then they can have both guys there. If not, I imagine one will go to Russia. I do expect Brian at CoC.
Just to add to my previous post, over at FSU it's been reported that the ISU will not offer the three GP option to seeded skaters. That means the FFSG will need to choose - either Brian or Florent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marysy
Untouchable

PostSubject: Re: 2012 Grand Prix   03.05.12 18:38

Sorry, I'm not too clear on the rules/regulations for Grand Prix assignments. From what you're saying, I gather that each competition is not allowed to have more than two seeded skaters (places 1-6 at last Worlds?)? Aren't there also free slots for home country picks? Would seeded skaters not be able to take one of those spots or have it count as one of their events?

Why do you say that Brian or Florent would go to Russia if they didn't get TEB? Brian's been assigned TEB since 2002 (though withdrew 3 times)! Considering he doesn't like competing in France anyway (Nice being an exception) and hasn't always had the best of luck at TEB, maybe it'd be nice for him to skip it this year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yulie
Blue Man Group

PostSubject: Re: 2012 Grand Prix   03.05.12 19:22

marysy wrote:
Sorry, I'm not too clear on the rules/regulations for Grand Prix assignments. From what you're saying, I gather that each competition is not allowed to have more than two seeded skaters (places 1-6 at last Worlds?)? Aren't there also free slots for home country picks? Would seeded skaters not be able to take one of those spots or have it count as one of their events?

Why do you say that Brian or Florent would go to Russia if they didn't get TEB? Brian's been assigned TEB since 2002 (though withdrew 3 times)! Considering he doesn't like competing in France anyway (Nice being an exception) and hasn't always had the best of luck at TEB, maybe it'd be nice for him to skip it this year?
There are two pools of seeded skaters: Worlds medalists and Worlds 4-6 finishers. Each event gets one of each. Host picks do not apply: you cannot have two skaters from the same pool in the same event. This means the NHK Trophy can have either Hanyu or Takahashi but not both. TEB can have Brian or Florent but not both. This has generally not been a problem in the past because it's not common to have two skaters from the same country who are seeded at the same level.

This past season, seeded skaters were allowed to request a third GP, so it was possible to have more than two seeded skaters at the same event. But if that's not longer an option, you will have one medalist and one 4-6 placed skater at each GP.

I figure either Brian or Flo will go to CoR because it's the closest geographically other than TEB, especially for Florent who trains with Morozov. Brian might feel more inclined to do TEB than he has in the past, having had such a good performance in France. But I guess we'll find out next month. I expect the host picks to be Romain Ponsart and Chafik Besseghier, as neither of them will likely get a GP otherwise.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
marysy
Untouchable

PostSubject: Re: 2012 Grand Prix   03.05.12 19:35

Thanks, Yulie!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bladette
James Bond

Number of posts : 1036
Registration date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: 2012 Grand Prix   04.05.12 8:38

My guess is that TEB wants Brian because he will sell more tickets than Florent plus Brian has gotten a lot more confidence skating in front of the home crowd after Nice.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yulie
Blue Man Group

PostSubject: Re: 2012 Grand Prix   04.05.12 17:18

According to the Skate America website (location announced earlier today - Kent, Washington), the GP assignments will be made public on May 21st.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sevda
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: 2012 Grand Prix   04.05.12 22:31

thanks yulie Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Snow_Queen
Untouchable

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2011-06-20

PostSubject: Re: 2012 Grand Prix   07.05.12 19:20

I would like to see Brian in Moscow, it's obviously!
But. I hope, FFSG is not so much stupid to send Brian to CoR after CoC. He said, CoC is his priority. How they imagine two events one just after the other with two terrible jetlags...
It means, I'd prefer to see Flo here in Moscow, taking into consideration all aspects.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://maisondejoubert.livejournal.com/
Yulie
Blue Man Group

PostSubject: Re: 2012 Grand Prix   21.05.12 8:47

And the assignments are up! I guess I was wrong because both Brian and Flo will be at TEB, while Hanyu and Takahashi will be at NHK. Maybe there was some dealing involved? Also, Johnny Weir is assigned to TEB! And lots of good skaters in the other disciplines. I am almost tempted... No assignments for Lysacek or Plush - but there are TBA slots at Rostel and SA.

Brian got CoC of course, with Takahashi as the seeded medalist - a tough task for Brian to win against Dai, but I guess it's a better chance than against Chan.

Men's assignments - http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=3503
GP page - http://www2.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4844-136494-137802-nav-list,00.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bladette
James Bond

Number of posts : 1036
Registration date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: 2012 Grand Prix   21.05.12 9:14

Fff... Takahashi in CoC! There goes Brian's victory chances.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yulie
Blue Man Group

PostSubject: Re: 2012 Grand Prix   21.05.12 9:25

Bladette wrote:
Takahashi can be inconsistent; remember, Fernandez beat him at SC last year by some margin, and Brian (and a bunch of other people) beat him at 2009 NHK. It's a long shot, but it might be done - whereas with Chan, the judges really don't let anyone come close (the WTT being a unique exception).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zsofie
Untouchable

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2012-05-04

PostSubject: Re: 2012 Grand Prix   21.05.12 9:29

Bladette wrote:

Hey, be optimistic! Wink Brian can beat Daisuke! We don't even know their next season-programs, what if Brian will have better than Dai? And besides, the ice is slippery, everything can happen! He really wants that CoC-win and we have to trust him. cheergo1
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheena

Number of posts : 5583
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: 2012 Grand Prix   21.05.12 15:08

That is interesting - TEB & NHK seeming to trade their top skaters - should keep the home fans happy anyhow!

Let us hope that Brian doesn't get injured/ill this autumn & gets to skate in the GP series - CoC at least!

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bublijojo
J'ai demandé à la lune

Number of posts : 536
Registration date : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: 2012 Grand Prix   22.05.12 13:21

I'm not too optimistic too about Brian's chances for gold at CoC but it's not impossible either so we just have to wait. I also hope he doesn't have any injuries and he settles down soon with new training base so he's in full form for new season and I hope he won't lose the regained confidence until the beginning of the season:)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Snow_Queen
Untouchable

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2011-06-20

PostSubject: Re: 2012 Grand Prix   22.05.12 17:32

Bublijojo wrote:
and I hope he won't lose the regained confidence until the beginning of the season:)

This is the main thing with Brian - how he will feel himself, his confidence and his wish to win. When he is concentrated on the victory, it's very difficult to beat him!
I believe in Brian, and I'm quite optimistic about his chances in China Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://maisondejoubert.livejournal.com/
lonnie
Love's divine

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2009-10-18

PostSubject: Re: 2012 Grand Prix   22.05.12 19:25

I'm also a bit skeptic about Brian's chances at CoC, not so much because of Takahashi but because he wants it very much, and it tends to mess with his psych. I hope I am wrong. Dai tends to be fragile in the early season, so there is definately a chance, so long as Brian keeps his head and game plan.

In fact, I am looking at the assignments and I wonder - is the men's field weak at this time? Or is it really strong? With the exception of Chan (who also tends to mess up plenty in the early season but is always held up by the judges), there doesn't seem to be any clear favorites in any of the events. Brian's events seem particularly mild, so even if he dosn't win CoC, there is a great potential for two medals, at least silver, and a place at the GPF. CoC has only Brian and Dai (there's Song, Contesti, Machida - none of the should pose a threat) and TEB - Brain, Florent and Abbott. Verner is always a threat, but he hasn't skated well longer than Brian and as much as I like to see Weir again, I doubt he'd be much of a threat, either.

I wonder about the Plushenko situation. As the Euro champion, I expected him to get two events - naturally CoR. I assume the Russians are holding their CoR TBA for him - are there any doubt of his recovery? Has he decided against the GPs?

I'd love to go to TEB. Wonder if I can swing it.

Lonnie
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yulie
Blue Man Group

PostSubject: Re: 2012 Grand Prix   06.06.12 10:11

Here's a short promo video from the TEB Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=308873065866648
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sevda
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: 2012 Grand Prix   06.06.12 23:11

thanks yulie Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hopeness
Untouchable

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2012-06-03

PostSubject: Re: 2012 Grand Prix   07.06.12 9:11

Thanks for the video Yulie Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2012 Grand Prix   

Back to top Go down

2012 Grand Prix
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Brian Joubert :: Brian's Competitions/Les Compétitions de Brian-
Jump to: