The Gladiator

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lonnie
Love's divine

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2009-10-18

PostSubject: The Gladiator   18.03.13 14:56

As I was stuck in traffic (as usual) this morning my mind wondered to Brian’s Gladiator program, the way he delivered it and the crowd's reaction. I have to admit, even though I wasn’t fond of the idea in the beginning, that the program suits him very well. Not just the choreography (such that it is) suiting his skating style but the theme suits his personality and his image in the sport. The warrior. The last of his breed.

I read comments on other skating boards that this program was very 2000s. You know what? It is. What a glorious age for men’s skating those 2000s were. Strong and epic. Remember 2001 worlds? 3 guys skating to the Gladiator, Todd and his First Knight, Tim and his Henry V, Plushy and… oh, well. It wasn't the themes, it was the skating.

Now we have cookie cutter programs crammed with useless moves, the only purpose of which is to get those transitions and choreography marks up. Gimme back my 2000s!

Anyway, Gladiator is one of my favorite movies and as I was reflecting on the program I remembered this scene. It seemed appropriate. I doubt he can medal in Sochi with his 2000s program, even if he lands 3 quads, but he can win the crowd.

Lonnie
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gislaine
The Boss

Number of posts : 13300
Registration date : 2006-06-10

PostSubject: Re: The Gladiator   18.03.13 15:04

Lonnie, I asked a lot of questions of Brian's choice for Gladiator!

Alexeï l' skated brilliantly and I was afraid that there is the yagbert still (if you see what I want to tell) what irritates me a lot and especially to make comparisons between them two what did not miss to make the fans of Alexeï..
I am he but I try not to compare my two favourite skaters because I find a bit stupid to make it but this hires only me!

Gladiator goes to him well and I have an impression that he takes a lot of pleasure of patinating this programme, but it is necessary that he tops up elements, transitions and of course to see again the strategy of jumps and that it is held there..

En français pour que vous traduisez mieux :

Je me suis posée beaucoup de questions du choix de Brian pour Gladiator !

Alexeï l' a patiné avec panache et j'avais peur qu'il y a encore le yagbert (si vous voyez ce que je veux dire) ce qui m'énerve beaucoup et surtout de faire des comparaisons entre eux deux ce que n' a pas manqué de faire les fans d'Alexeï ..
Je le suis mais j'essaie de ne pas comparer mes deux patineurs favoris car je trouve un peu idiot de le faire mais ça n'engage que moi !

Gladiator lui va bien et j'ai l'impression qu'il prend beaucoup de plaisir de patiner ce programme ,mais il faut qu'il rajoute des éléments ,les transitions et bien entendu revoir sa stratégie des sauts et qu'il s'y tienne ..

Gislaine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cravey
Matrix

Number of posts : 3023
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: The Gladiator   18.03.13 15:38

I hope Brian will keep Gladiator for the next season. He looks very comfortable in it, he likes it, he's choreographed it, and it gets good PCS. He needs to work on the technical side, though. Maybe change layout of the jumps, dunno. But Gladiator is very much a Joubert program Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dailslidosanalv.ucoz.com/
facepalm
The Mission

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-08-17

PostSubject: Re: The Gladiator   02.04.13 1:51

As much as I loved the Inception program it does seem that the Gladiator is more suited to Brian. Although I don't know if the judges really want people to skate to what's suited to them or if they want people to step out of their comfort zone. Whatever makes Brian happiest is best in the end.

I hope that his SP next year will be something completely different. I'll go ahead and keep wishing for a romantic leading man performance. kisses cloud9

Or maybe he could get some hobbit feet skates. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://twitter.com/#!/starshine_3
Sheena

Number of posts : 5583

PostSubject: Re: The Gladiator   02.04.13 18:04

I've always thought that LoTR would be a good music choice for Brian.

I suspect that the judges want everyone to skate like Mr Chan - hopefully Brian will never do that!

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yulie
Blue Man Group

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2010-07-11

PostSubject: Re: The Gladiator   02.04.13 18:14

Sheena wrote:
I suspect that the judges want everyone to skate like Mr Chan - hopefully Brian will never do that!
I'm actually going to have to disagree. I think what we are seeing is that the default is Canadian IJS style, and Chan so happens to be the best skater at doing that. But in some cases, the judges have shown that they are willing to support other styles (e.g. Daisuke Takahashi, Stephane Lambiel, to some extent Javier Fernandez and Florent Amodio). In Brian's case, it's practically the opposite - the judges appear to be sending a clear message that he should do his thing and stick with techno and soundtracks rather than try to be lyrical and artsy.

I've long argued that Brian should skate to the Yo-Yo Ma version of The Ecstasy of Gold, and I stand by that. Just call it by another name or it would be a total jinx.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheena

PostSubject: Re: The Gladiator   04.04.13 19:02

I take your points Yulie! I was really thinking of Mr C as the personification of IJS.

It is an interesting thing to consider - is it ok for "artistic" skaters (such as Dai or Lambiel) to experiment with various styles but not "athletic" skaters like Brian, are they supposed to do the same thing year after year a la Elvis S??

Yo-Yo Ma is a terrific musician!

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

Number of posts : 3974

PostSubject: Re: The Gladiator   05.04.13 15:19

I love the Gladiator, and it was well recieved also by spectators who are not particular fans of Brian. Even they said that this time he has no problem to express the music (which is normal, because it is a music which he understands, unlike the Bolero or Beethoven), and he is himself in this program.

And I dont think the judges are not in favour of it. He recieved quite good PCS for this program. Problem was the technical part, but I think this can be corrected with a better (wiser) jump layout. (Please forget the quad sal!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yulie
Blue Man Group

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2010-07-11

PostSubject: Re: The Gladiator   05.04.13 16:14

Sheena wrote:
I take your points Yulie! I was really thinking of Mr C as the personification of IJS.

It is an interesting thing to consider - is it ok for "artistic" skaters (such as Dai or Lambiel) to experiment with various styles but not "athletic" skaters like Brian, are they supposed to do the same thing year after year a la Elvis S??

Yo-Yo Ma is a terrific musician!
Apparently so, though Dai hasn't been having great success with this year's programs. I can kind of understand this, however; Brian has a very distinctive style in comparison to today's skaters, but I'm not sure he has shown great range outside of gala programs. FWIW, neither has Chan, who doesn't even seem to have a personal style, but when you have what are acknowledged as the best skating skills, there are things you can get away with. And Fernandez hasn't got great range either, but he is very charming, and Orser has been very good at packaging him just right.

But anyway, maybe the judges are just more open to Brian's skating within a specific niche, and in that case, Brian is wise to take advantage, regardless of the "Yagudin clone" stuff and similar remarks. You aim to have the program that will score the best, now that he has established that Gladiator is such a program, he needs to improve the tech (and the costume!!!).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheena

PostSubject: Re: The Gladiator   05.04.13 19:14

I agree, Brian needs to use the system as best he can - why not? Everyone else does!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Gladiator   

Back to top Go down

The Gladiator
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Brian Joubert :: Discussion on Brian-
Jump to: