Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Love2Smile
ma gueule

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Miscellany   25.08.07 23:54

Hi, Mary!

As I am not an elite skater, Rach can answer many of your questions much better than I can, and did so very well. I can just add some additional comments.

It's true that there are many variations of schedules that skaters can have, depending on the ice time available, what the coach recommends, or what the skater's own work or school schedule allows. In one of Brian's interviews, he spoke a little bit about his schedule, so that would be something to check out if you haven't already.

I concur with Rach's summary of the costs for ice time and elite coaching. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.poeticwanderings.wordpress.com
Rach
vip

Number of posts : 2458
Registration date : 2006-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Miscellany   26.08.07 14:39

Heidi, that is a wonderful idea to look at Brian's schedule.

Which reminds me : Brian detests the morning, and (claims) that he cannot skate well in the morning, esp. before 10h00. It would be interesting if your skater was similar to Brian in this way, and had an event starting at 9h00... [Keep in mind that we must show up for each event about an hour in advance, and that there are customarily official traning sessions (which come at a riduculous price) that take place at odd hours such as 6h00.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Love2Smile
ma gueule

PostSubject: Re: Miscellany   26.08.07 20:26

Oh, one other thing I was going to comment on was group and individual coaching.

At the elite level, I believe it is rare for a coach to do group lessons with his skaters. Usually that is done at the beginner levels, and in that case, the coach tries his best to give as equal of time per skater as possible, and often addresses them all at once during general instruction. From there, the coach can give individual comments to each skater.
Individual private lessons, they can be almost any length of time per skater, depending on how the coach schedules his/her time, and how much ice time is available.
Back to top Go down
Blue Bead
vip

Number of posts : 2023

PostSubject: Re: Miscellany   27.08.07 1:28

Rach and Heidi....Thanks to you both for your invaluable input.

Rach....Regarding triple jumps, off-ice....are those done in a harness or are they done "free" from such an appratus? If they are done without the aid of a harness, doesn't that place a tremendous amount of torque on one's knees and ankles upon landing? How do you counteract that torque?

How do you know when you've over-trained? Is it more of a mental "knowledge," a sense that you're too keyed up, or are there physical sensations that tip you off?

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rach
vip

PostSubject: Re: Miscellany   27.08.07 12:25

Blue Bead wrote:
Rach and Heidi....Thanks to you both for your invaluable input.

Rach....Regarding triple jumps, off-ice....are those done in a harness or are they done "free" from such an appratus? If they are done without the aid of a harness, doesn't that place a tremendous amount of torque on one's knees and ankles upon landing? How do you counteract that torque?

How do you know when you've over-trained? Is it more of a mental "knowledge," a sense that you're too keyed up, or are there physical sensations that tip you off?

Mary C.

For the off ice triple jumps, they are done without apparati. Just the body. The torque is tremendous but this is counteracted by landing on two feet and by completing a series of small hops on impact that allow us to slowly diffuse the force of the rotation, rather than sticking in one spot like a gymnast.

As for overtraining, well, I am not a subtle person. I know that I have overtrained when I wake up and something hurts so much that it impedes my ability to continue to train. I suppose that frequent, fleeting illnesses in quick succession could be a tip-off, but I've never noticed it until after the fact. Some people are probably much more astute than I, much more "in-tune" with their own bodies, so that they know instinctively when to pare down their training. Being quite detatched from mine, and slow to feel pain, it usually takes an injury to make me realise my error.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leni
Matrix

Number of posts : 3121
Registration date : 2006-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Miscellany   28.08.07 13:32

I like your questions and answers ladies, really interesting to read indeed! Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Love2Smile
ma gueule

PostSubject: Re: Miscellany   05.09.07 2:29

I just have to say...
I love Kurt Browning!!!! I have got to meet that man someday...

I just recently read all parts of his interview on kurtfiles.com, and I am even more blown away by his person...
I can relate to him so much!! Like when he talked about just moving to the music, and then forgetting what he does, so he has to use a video camera all of the time... I know what that's like!!! You can do the coolest stuff you've ever done, and not have a clue of how to do it again, LOL! It's such a goofy problem, and until now, I thought me and my coach were the only ones who suffered from it. But, I guess Kurt does too! Very Happy
Even the way he expresses himself while talking, with gestures, facial expressions, and sounds... Ha ha, that's how I'm always communicating, and my students get used to "interpreting" me... lol! I do try to be as clear as possible, ofcourse, but, when something comes up that no word exhists for? Well, sound effects, ofcourse! Very Happy

LOL, anyway, I thought it was cool and funny, how Kurt is! My respect for him just went up a few million notches. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rach
vip

PostSubject: Re: Miscellany   05.09.07 12:27

« Like when he talked about just moving to the
music, and then forgetting what he does, so he has to use a video
camera all of the time... I know what that's like!!! »

Don't we all ? Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Karen
Mon ami

Number of posts : 418

PostSubject: Re: Miscellany   01.11.07 17:21

I just started Freestyle lessons, so I'll be learning my first jumps soon...and hopefully footwork that involves more than 3 different moves consecutively, LOL.

My instructor this time is someone I had never seen before at the rink. He was wearing a team Bulgaria jacket and his name is Pavel. After the lesson, I asked him if he is here to train for competitions. He told me that he started working at the rink a few months ago and he was a coach at the Torino Olympics ( Shocked ).

So he must be Pavel Dimitrov, who coaches (or coached?) the pairs team:

http://www.skatetoday.com/articles0506/093006.htm

http://www.isufs.org/bios/isufs00005464.htm

Skating lessons from an Olympic coach...just a little intimidating pale , but Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.kodakgallery.com/photos-by-karen/skating
Rach
vip

PostSubject: Re: Miscellany   01.11.07 19:30

Karen, that is very good for you!

It is preferable to have a good coach from the start as this instills the proper training habits and makes things a lot easier later on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
humming bird
Le Blues du Businessman

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2006-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Miscellany   18.11.07 12:21

lately I've been watching C. Kostner's SP and the commentator said something like this:

'such a diffucult entry to a flying camel from a butterfly'

what is a butterfly?? (or maybe I heard the word wrongly Wink sorry)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheena

Number of posts : 5583

PostSubject: Re: Miscellany   18.11.07 12:28

A "Butterfly" is an entry into a flying spin. I think I'm right in saying that our board banner features Brian in a butterfly entry position.....Rach?

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rach
vip

PostSubject: Re: Miscellany   18.11.07 14:10

Sheena wrote:
A "Butterfly" is an entry into a flying spin. I think I'm right in saying that our board banner features Brian in a butterfly entry position.....Rach?

You are talking about this, yes ?

http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif

This position is NOT a butterfly. It is called a parapluie (umbrella) in French. In English there is no special name for it as far as I know. One would say, "death drop position."

A butterfly, on the other hand, does not involve jumping like a death drop. It is a move in which one will pick the ice with the right foot (if the person rotates to the left in the air, like Brian) and then send the foot in a kick-like motion while inclining the torso forward. As the leg falls, the torso will rise slightly. The skater can then pick the ice and start over. Or, as Ms. Kostner demonstrated, she can alternatively choose this moment to step into a spin. This element has a general look similar to that of the death drop but the skating foot never leaves the ice and technically the motions used for the two elements are different.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheena

Number of posts : 5583

PostSubject: Re: Miscellany   18.11.07 20:43

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsf9wdrjSwI

This is (I hope!) a link to Johnny Weir's sp at 2004 worlds. Is a butterfly the entry he uses into his last two spins?? (after 2.50mins on the video)

Thanks for correcting my misunderstanding Rach!

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rach
vip

PostSubject: Re: Miscellany   19.11.07 12:27

Yes. Smile Especially the last one (one usually thinks of "butterfly" as having several pick-kick-repeat episodes).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Karen
Mon ami

PostSubject: Re: Miscellany   19.11.07 19:37

Rach wrote:
Karen, that is very good for you!

It is preferable to have a good coach from the start as this instills the proper training habits and makes things a lot easier later on.

True, but at my age my body is only interested in learning so much No .

Hey, I found a photo of my current instructor, at the 2006 Canada kiss-n-cry with the Bulgarian pairs team Cool .

http://www.alika.ca/figureskating/skatecanada2006/pairs/RumianaSPASSOVAStanimirTODOROV/IMG_4565_JPG.html

And these days, he's teaching people like me waltz jumps and pivots, so he's probably wondering "what has happened to my life?!" Rolling Eyes :enpleure: .

The other day he told me that I need to start thinking about my presentation skills. "Don't look at the ice. Look at the people!" (even if there are no people to look at, LOL).
Back to top Go down
Rach
vip

PostSubject: Re: Miscellany   20.11.07 12:54

Laughing Karen. He just means to keep your head up! It is safer and it looks nice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Love2Smile
ma gueule

PostSubject: Re: Miscellany   20.11.07 16:34

Ah, yes, always look toward those non-exhistent people, lol. Very Happy That way, when there are people, you will be prepared... Wink
I'll bet that your coach enjoys coaching you! I love to work with adults- they're always so appreciative and are always there because they want to be, not because their parents are making them skate or something.
Back to top Go down
Rach
vip

PostSubject: Re: Miscellany   21.11.07 12:49

Love2Smile wrote:
Ah, yes, always look toward those non-exhistent people, lol. Very Happy That way, when there are people, you will be prepared... Wink
I'll bet that your coach enjoys coaching you! I love to work with adults- they're always so appreciative and are always there because they want to be, not because their parents are making them skate or something.

They know how to listen. And focus. And LISTEN.

I love teaching adults, personally.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Mental sharpness   28.11.07 17:21

How do competitive skaters maintain their mental sharpness between competitions? It occured to me that some skaters competing in the GP series have a fairly long time span between their cometitions, as an example--SA to NHK trophy. Would it be safe to assume that a long time gap would impact the skater's mental sharpness toward his/her goal of medaling? Would it be less of a problem for a skater whose time gap was only from SA to TEB? In any case, how does a skater maintain the level of mental sharpness which is required at the elite level?

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rach
vip

PostSubject: Re: Miscellany   29.11.07 12:18

Blue Bead wrote:
How do competitive skaters maintain their mental sharpness between competitions? It occured to me that some skaters competing in the GP series have a fairly long time span between their cometitions, as an example--SA to NHK trophy. Would it be safe to assume that a long time gap would impact the skater's mental sharpness toward his/her goal of medaling? Would it be less of a problem for a skater whose time gap was only from SA to TEB? In any case, how does a skater maintain the level of mental sharpness which is required at the elite level?

Mary C.

Mental sharpness is a product of training and experience. One learns, usually through trial and error, which techniques work the best to help with focus and mental challenges. Generally, the skaters who are new to the élite season will have somewhat inconsistent performances. This is because they have not yet perfected their own, personal mental regimens. Other skaters are so mentally debilitated at the idea of their élite-level début that they can't even manage to put themselves out there to compete, even though they are clearly skilled enough to do well. Sadly, I am speaking about myself, here.

Physical sharpness is a bit more difficult, because it involves conciously modifying training regimens to get one's body to be in full form at a certain time. Generally, it is a good idea to stop working on new things and do nothing but train the competition programmes about 2 weeks before the event. Any more, and the skater can "burn out". Any less, and he may not feel ready for the competition. This actually becomes more of a mental problem, because physically, most skaters are actually quite capable of doing excellent performances at any time during the season.

Would it be safe to assume that a long time gap would impact the skater's mental sharpness toward his/her goal of medaling?

It shouldn't, if he knows how to manage himself (for lack of a better phraseology).

Would it be less of a problem for a skater whose time gap was only from SA to TEB?

Heu... that depends on the person. S-A to the Bompard is a reasonable amount of time; I think that it would be a good schedule. What would adversely affect performance is the linking of 2..., 3 competitons in as many weeks. A schedule like that does not give the body sufficient time to reco Wait... why I am talking about this!? Just look at Brian if you want to see what happens when one's competition schedule is too busy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: Miscellany   29.11.07 18:45

Thanks, Rach, for your answers. Not only have you answered my original questions but the four or five others which have been rolling around in my mind trying to connect together, LOL.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rach
vip

PostSubject: Re: Miscellany   29.11.07 20:45

Ah, well, you are welcome; I am glad that my information is useful to you. :super:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Karen
Mon ami

PostSubject: Re: Miscellany   13.12.07 4:36

A friend took photos of me while I had one of my lessons with Pavel. I added them to the end of the album

http://www.kodakgallery.com/photos-by-karen/skating/ashburn_ice_house

Boy, it's true what they say about watching yourself skate the first time pale . I need to pull back my shoulders, bend my knees more, and get rid of my big butt affraid mdr .

(And Brian, if you are reading this, DON'T LOOK AT THE LINK! hide8up )
Back to top Go down
Rach
vip

PostSubject: Re: Miscellany   13.12.07 13:10

Karen wrote:

(And Brian, if you are reading this, DON'T LOOK AT THE LINK! hide8up )

:lach: :lach:

Well, it is difficult to tell from still photos, but I would say that tightening your core and back (it will feel like pinching your shoulder blades together) and keeping your weight better centred over your skating food will help you to look and feel better on the ice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miscellany   

Back to top Go down

Miscellany
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Skating General :: Technical Talk-
Jump to: