Registration date : 2006-06-12

PostSubject: French Words   13.06.06 19:58

Katya0812
Administrator
(8/6/05 11:04 pm)
| Edit | Del All
ezSupporter

French words about Figure Skating
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heidi asked for this to come back we can run this the same way as we are running the german thread if you like. Please ask any questions you want. We will start with something that probably everyone knows
figure skating - patinage artistique
~Katya

Love2Smile
(8/6/05 11:44 pm)
| Edit | Del Re: French words about Figure Skating
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Merci, Katya! (see, I have learned a little so far! )

I was wondering how you would say Ice Arena or Ice Rink in French?

I haven't gotten over to see the archives yet though, so I'll still have to check that so I don't end up asking you a bunch of questions you've already answered...

~Love2Smile!!

Katya0812
Administrator
(8/6/05 11:50 pm)
| Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Re: French words about Figure Skating
I wouldn't worry about it Heidi, you can ask any questions here you want. I doubt anyone interested in learning wants to get all dusty and covered in cobwebs in the archives
~Katya

arlingtonian
Video Queen
(8/7/05 12:49 am)
| Edit | Del
ezSupporter

ice rink = patinoire (phonetically, 'pah-teen-wah' -- the R is almost pronounced)

Notice you will see various versions of the word 'patin' as the thread progresses

P.S. Big arenas where skating competitions take place but are used for other events are called 'stade' (stahd) or 'palais' (pa-LAY), such as where Trophee Bompard takes place: Palais Omnisports de Bercy .

Karen
(which in France is often pronounced 'Ka-HREN' , because most words and names have the final syllable stressed).

Ninchen85
(8/7/05 7:15 am)
Hey, I really like this thread!!!

What would be the names of the different rotations, like double, triple and quadtruple?

Nina

mygirl
(8/7/05 9:09 am)
I really like this thread!
My question is how to say the next words in French?
spins & jumps

MAMOUNA38
Administrateur
(8/7/05 10:51 am)
| Edit | Del
Olga,

Spins: les pirouettes.

Jumps: les sauts .

Gislaine

MAMOUNA38
Administrateur
(8/7/05 11:00 am)
| Edit | Del

Quote:
What would be the names of the different rotations, like double, triple and quadtruple

Nina, le quadruple boucle piqué , le salchow , triple axel , double piqué , triple boucle piqué, le triple flip.le rittburger, le lutz.

Gislaine

MAMOUNA38
Administrateur
(8/7/05 11:05 am)
| Edit | Del
Karen very well explained! Lol!

Karen a très bien expliqué !lol!
Gislaine

MAMOUNA38
Administrateur
(8/7/05 11:52 am)
| Edit | Del
short program = programme court

long program = libre , où long programme mais nous disons plus le libre !!

jump = Saut

spin = Pirouette

footwork = Jeu de pieds ( les petits pas ?)

straight line footwork = la ligne droite du travail de jambes

circular footwork = travail de jambes circulaire

skates= patins

blades = lames

original dance = danse originale

edge = carre

inside edge = un dedans ( intérieur)

outside edge = un dehors ( extérieur)

change of edge = changement de carre

Code of points = Code des points

Camel spin = Pirouette arabesque

combination = combinaison

qualification round = qualification
men = homme

ladies = Dames, filles , femmes.

skater = Patineur

coach = Entraîneur

ice rink =Patinoire

Gold = or

Silver = Argent

Bronze=Bronze

Gislaine

Edited by: MAMOUNA38 at: 8/7/05 11:58 am

Elisemg
(8/7/05 12:11 pm)
I add (je rajoute)
-compulsory dance=danse imposée, compulsories=imposées.
-I think we should translate "circular footwork" by "circulaire", and "straight line footwork" by "diagonale" ou "médiane", but I'm not sure... (for example, we have 1 diagonale and 1 médiane in original dance)
-original dance=danse originale or danse de création
-free dance=danse libre
-I'd translate "camel spin" by "pirouette allongée", we don't often say "pirouette arabesque", but I've already hearded "camel" in france
-sit spin=pirouette assise
-3-turn=trois
mohawk, choctaw, rocker, bracket etc have the same name in france
-shoot the duck (?)=cafetière
If you want further, ask

Katya0812
Administrator
(8/7/05 12:18 pm)
| Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Ok, so we won't do it like the German thread
I can't think of anything else to add ... so any other questions?
~Katya

arlingtonian
Video Queen
(8/7/05 1:20 pm)
| Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Of course this will not be like the German version! We non-Germans are not nearly as disciplined or organized! Vive la difference!

For those who know English as a first language, keep in mind that French (like most European languages) is not a gender neutral language. Every word is either masculine or feminine. That is why some words are preceeded by 'la' or 'une' (feminine articles) while others are preceeded by 'le' or 'un' ('the' and 'a', masculine). How to know which gender a word is? Most of the time it requires learning it one word at a time , but I know from experience that it is 'la patinoire' but 'le patinage', for example.

What reminded me of that was the word for 'skater'. Brian is 'un patineur' but Fleur Maxwell is 'une patineuse'. The plural version is 'patineurs' if you are referring to only men OR a combination of men and ladies. The plural for ladies skaters is 'patineuses' (pah-teen-uzzzz).

Recently, I saw a birthday greeting for Michelle Kwan: "Joyeux anniversaire a la meilleure patineuse!" -- Happy birthday to the best skater! Did that person mean the best FEMALE skater, or the best skater overall? Impossible to know with only that information.

Also, the word for jump is pronounced "so". You know the cooking term 'sautee'? The food in the pan is so hot, that the food is forced to jump (in case that helps you remember the word).

I know that there are French Canadians who visit this forum. If there are skating words that are different in Canada, "enseignons les mots, SVP" .

Karen

Ninchen85
(8/7/05 1:37 pm)

Quote:
Of course this will not be like the German version! We non-Germans are not nearly as disciplined or organized! Vive la difference!

Karen!

Well, honestly I'm anything but organized! You can ask Maike! Normally, I live in a total chaos and mess
I just thought if you would learn only one word a day it might be easier to remember...

Nina

gosia86
(8/7/05 5:04 pm)
I really enjoy reading this thread. I do agree with Nina that learning 1 word per day would be better but since we already have an almost full bilingual dictionary of skating-related words and phrases (thank you, ladies especially for the phonetic transcriptions, which are very helpful ) I believe that each of us can use it in any form she likes.

Vive le !

Gosia

Sunshine249
(8/7/05 6:03 pm)

Quote:
Well, honestly I'm anything but organized! You can ask Maike! Normally, I live in a total chaos and mess

Nina! But yes, it is true!!!

Thank you so much, ladies, for teaching us!!! Merci beaucoup!!!

Maike

Love2Smile
(8/7/05 7:13 pm)
| Edit | Del French words about Figure Skating
Thank you so much for all of that detailed information, Gislaine, Elise, and Karen!!! You all are so helpful!!

"sautee"... Yes Karen, I think that will help me very much to remember the word for jump!

So now that we have almost all the skating words (at least, I can't think of any more... ) can we start on regular words and phrazes, too?

For example, I was wondering how you say "Hi, how are you today?" in french...

If that would get too complicated though, I would understand!

~Love2Smile! ...une patineuse!

Edited by: Love2Smile at: 8/8/05 11:10 am

mygirl
(8/7/05 10:40 pm)
So many words! Thanks sooo much to everyone!
It’s going to be the biggest thread here!
But I really enjoy reading it!
I wanted to ask how to spell your name in French? Does it have any difference or it spells like in English?

Olga

Katya0812
Administrator
(8/7/05 11:36 pm)
| Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Hi is salut ... a more formal greeting would be Bon Jour (good day) or Bon Soir (good evening) *soir pronounced swah*

How are you is comment allez vous?, which literally translates to how go you *the z is not really pronounced, allez is allay, also the s on the end of vous is not really enunciated either.

As for the today part of the question, there are a couple of different ways you can refer to today, or this day. Ce jour for example.

So your entire question would be
Salut, comment allez vous ce jour?
~Katya

MAMOUNA38
Administrateur
(8/8/05 8:45 am)
| Edit | Del
It is exactly celà, Katya ! But to write it is BONJOUR and BONSOIR.

We say more, "bonjour", how go you? Salut, it is familiar (you can say it to persons whom you know for a long time )

c'est exactement celà ,Katya !
mais pour écrire c'est BONJOUR et BONSOIR .

Nous disons plus , bonjour, comment allez vous?
Salut , c'est familier ( vous pouvez le dire à des personnes que vous connaissez depuis longtemps)
Gislaine

MAMOUNA38
Administrateur
(8/8/05 8:51 am)
| Edit | Del
Olga, I do not understand your question ! Lol

Your first name in French spells the same way OLGA! Lol
Gislaine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nina
vip

Number of posts : 3534

PostSubject: Re: French Words   13.06.06 19:59

Love2Smile
(8/8/05 11:50 am)
Thank you so much Katya and Gislaine!! BIG to you!!!

Now I wonder why french fans say "Allez Brian" when they are cheering? I realize it's a cheer of some sort, like our "go!!" , but what would the exact meaning of "allez" be in that context?

~Love2Smile!!!

Edited by: Love2Smile at: 8/8/05 11:59 am

arlingtonian
Video Queen
(8/8/05 12:02 pm)
| Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Heidi -- For basic French words, phrases and grammar, it is probably best to invest $10 or $20 in a "Learn to speak French" book/cassette (or DVD) combination, which can be found at a large bookstore. By spending a few minutes a day, you can begin to grasp the slightly different structure of the language.

Elise -- tu t'appelles une patineuse, une danseuse sur glace, ou les deux? (Do you call yourself a 'skater', an 'ice dancer', or either? [and perhaps I am using the informal version of 'you' too soon with Elise ] )

When I started to study French in school, the teacher gave the students French names. I was told that there is no equivalent of 'Karen' in French, so I was given a completely different name. The same thing happened when I studied Spanish, then Russian. I started to wonder "where does the name 'Karen' come from?" But when I met someone from the country of Denmark, he said "Karen -- that is a good Danish name". No wonder he pronounced it correctly .

Karen

mygirl
(8/8/05 12:45 pm)
Sorry, Gislaine if my question was hardly understandable.
But you understood it correctly!
So my name is Olga = Je m'appelle Olga. Ok! Thank you for the explanation!
I was wondering how you say ‘I’m fine or I’m OK’(when you answer on the question ‘comment allez vous ce jour’)?

Olga

Edited by: mygirl at: 8/8/05 12:57 pm

Katya0812
Administrator
(8/8/05 1:35 pm)
| Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Allez is "GO" Heidi ... just like my little emoticon

Olga, to respond to Comment allez vous? one would normally say bien (good) or tres bien (very good). If you wanted to add an "I am" you would use Je suis. Ok is Ok in French LOL, but I have noticed when Gislaine writes it to me she spells it oki. I think that is due to proununciation however.
So ...

Bonsoir Olga, comment allez vous?

~Katya

StillTicking
(8/8/05 10:42 pm)
My mother's middle name is Marguerite. Is that the French version of Margaret?

If I were to meet Brian, how would I say "I love your bulldog." (People always love to be asked about their pets. )

The business owners in the office right above mine bring their 4 bulldogs to work with them. They are referred to as "the girls" and their names are Agatha, Beatrice, Chloe and Daphne. One bulldog is cute; 4 of them are just hilarious together.

Margaret

Katya0812
Administrator
(8/8/05 11:38 pm)
| Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Margaret, hope you are feeling better. I believe the answer to your question would be J'aime votre bouledogue. I had to look bulldog up, I tried in my dictionary ... not there LOL so then I looked online and finally tried one of the internet translaters .. that is what it gave me. Dog is chien.
~Katya

mygirl
(8/9/05 3:09 am)
Bonjour Katya, Je suis bien! (I hope I’m right )
I really like finding out new phrases!
This thread is linked with French words about figure skating. So how to say ‘I like your skating’ in French?
And the second question which isn’t linked with figure skating. How can you say ‘I’m glad to see you’?

Olga

MAMOUNA38
Administrateur
(8/9/05 8:03 am)
| Edit | Del

Quote:
Bonjour Katya, Je suis bien! (I hope I’m right )

Olga
A small correction

Katya, je vais bien!

J' aime votre patinage (I like your skating’ in French?
) Je suis heureuse de vous voir (I’m glad to see you’)

For a woman, it is HEUREUSE and for a man it is HEUREUX, lol!

pour une femme , c'est heureuse et pour un homme c'est heureux ,lol!
Gislaine

Edited by: MAMOUNA38 at: 8/9/05 8:06 am

MAMOUNA38
Administrateur
(8/9/05 8:10 am)
| Edit | Del

Quote:
My mother's middle name is Marguerite. Is that the French version of Margaret?

You are right, it is indeed Marguerite !
It was the first name of my grand - mother paternel!

c'était le prénom de ma grand -mère paternel!
Gislaine

Katya0812
Administrator
(8/9/05 11:47 am)
| Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Je vais ... I thought it was Je suis, that's what I was taught anyway .. sorry
~Katya

MAMOUNA38
Administrateur
(8/9/05 4:08 pm)
| Edit | Del
Katya

It is not grave! Lol I make errors in English and I am happy that you correct me! Lol I find that it is interesting these topics for the German, French languages, English why not the others?
Gislaine

Ninchen85
(8/9/05 4:15 pm)

Quote:
I find that it is interesting these topics for the German, French languages, English why not the others?

That's a wonderful idea, Gis!!!

I love to learn foreign languages

Nina

Edited by: Ninchen85 at: 8/9/05 4:16 pm

gosia86
(8/9/05 5:13 pm)
Maybe we should start a topic for Polish?
But it'd be very difficult both for me to explain you the pronounciation and for you - to avoid twisting your tongues while pronouncing ... So maybe it's not a good idea

Gosia (Marguerite /that's my name in French/)

Ninchen85
(8/9/05 5:18 pm)
Gosia!

Well, I already know a word which you have taught me well! Also the pronuciation!

So, dobranoc Gosia

Nina

Edited by: Ninchen85 at: 8/9/05 5:25 pm

arlingtonian
Video Queen
(8/9/05 5:36 pm)
| Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Maybe the languages threads can be transferred to their own section, or merged with the 'technical talk' section ; change the name to "Technical talk and languages" .

Katya0812
Administrator
(8/9/05 7:50 pm)
| Edit | Del
ezSupporter

We might be able to try Russian also, since there are a few of us here that speak that ... but let me warn you pronunciation is not at all easy
~Katya

mygirl
(8/9/05 9:45 pm)
Thank you Gislaine and Katya for answering my questions!

Quote:
I find that it is interesting these topics for the German, French languages, English why not the others?

I like this idea Gislaine!

And it's a good idea to transfer the languages threads to their own section. It'll be more convenient.

Quote:
We might be able to try Russian also

Why not? Learning languages is always interesting!

Love2Smile
(8/9/05 11:32 pm)
Great ideas, ladies!

I like the name Marguerite too, btw!

~Love2Smile!

Katya0812
Administrator
(8/10/05 12:44 am)
| Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Ok, I moved these and did a word list just like the German one which Gis and I will add to as questions here are answered. Gosia, would you like to start a Polish thread? Olga, do you think we could do a Russian thread? I don't think we would be able to write the words properly .. we would have to do it by pronunciation.
~Katya

mygirl
(8/10/05 1:59 am)
Great work, Katya!
And you’re right that we can’t spell the words properly.
We can do it by pronunciation like Karen usually does it. She spells “thank you” = "spassiba”.
Or we can write the words using English letters.

This’s a site where’s explain how to do it & the Russian alphabet
www.english.language.ru/c...ous21.html
but I wonder if it’ll be understandable for the others .

I was surfing the Net today and found a very interesting site
www.bbc.co.uk/languages/f...abus.shtml
Maybe someone has already known it.
You can study French here and listen how the words should be pronounced. The same sites exist for the other languages. If someone's interested in I’ll try to find the links. But I think studying here is really interesting and funny!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nina
vip

PostSubject: Re: French Words   13.06.06 19:59

Katya0812
Administrator
(8/10/05 12:10 pm)
| Edit | Del
ezSupporter

That first site is perfect, it shows the cryllic letters and thier english pronunciation. Thanks Olga! Is anyone interested in learning some Russian? I am pretty sure if you enable your browser to see cryllic we can post the true words with an axplanation of how to pronounce it.
~Katya

Ninchen85
(8/10/05 12:33 pm)
Thank you Olga!
These are very helpful!!!

We can add such a site at the German thread, too!

Nina

mygirl
(8/11/05 2:45 am)
I'm glad that you liked those sites!
But is there anyone else who wants to study a bit Russian?
Edited because I forgot to ask a new question.
How can you say 'Have a good day' or something like this in French?

Olga

Edited by: mygirl at: 8/11/05 3:16 am

arlingtonian
Video Queen
(8/11/05 8:53 am)
| Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Considering the enormous influence on figure skating from Russia, we should learn some of the language!

Are you able to put cyrillic letters in posts on this forum? We can start by learning one letter of the alphabet each day .

To jump ahead a little , I am sure it will be easy to confuse a couple of letters. In Cyrillic, "P" is the same as "R". And "C" is the same as "S".

For those of you old enough to remember -- remember the days of the Soviet Union when Soviet athletes had the letters "CCCP" on their uniforms? That is translated into 'SSSR': Sovietskum Soyuz (Union) Socialistika Republika. (Is that correct, Olga?)

Then, we can learn about 'kata-nee-ya' (skating)

Karen

MAMOUNA38
Administrateur
(8/11/05 8:56 am)
| Edit | Del

Quote:
How can you say 'Have a good day' or something like this in French?

Olga , 'Have a good day' Passez une bonne journée .
Gislaine

mygirl
(8/11/05 11:21 am)
Thank you Gislaine!
Karen, I can see & put cyrillic letters in posts!
As to concerning your question: I'll try to spell it using cyrillic 'SSSR' - Ñîâåòñêèé Ñîþç Ñîöèàëèñòè÷åñêèõ Ðåñïóáëèê- can you see it?
(If I'm not wrong with History the USSR split up in 1991 when I was only 3 years old) and according to that site it should be spelt like:
Sovyetskiy Soyuz Sotsialistiñhyeskih Ryespublik ( ). I love Russia more, Lol!

arlingtonian
Video Queen
(8/11/05 12:08 pm)
| Edit | Del
ezSupporter

LOL! Yes, "POCCYA" is easier to spell (that "YA" should be a letter that looks like a an "R" in reverse ).

I cannot see the Cyrillic letters on my computer screen . Maybe I just need to adjust something with my computer to help recognize the alphabet : . I see Cyrillic letters at Russian web sites, though. .

---

But back to French... "bonjour" is 'hello' or 'good day', while 'bonne journee' (with an accent) is 'have a good day'. Same thing with 'bon soir' (good evening) vs. 'bonne soiree' (have a good evening).

There's that masculine vs. feminine word issue again -- 'journee' and 'soiree' are feminine words, which means the spelling of the word 'good' must correspond with the gender of the noun associated with it.

Karen

Katya0812
Administrator
(8/11/05 12:26 pm)
| Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Karen, are you using Internet Explorer? (I know you use Web TV at home and don't know how to tell you to do it there). For IE click on 'View' on the top toolbar, then 'encoding' and click on Cryllic. It will refresh the page and you will be able to see the letters.
Olga, would you like to start a thread?
~Katya

gosia86
(8/11/05 5:35 pm)
Katya, moving the lessons here was a good idea, but yesterday I experienced a moment of thrill - entered the Anything section and noticed the lessons are gone, so I got sad that such great threads have vanished... I couldn't find them anywhere... That's just 100% of me
You asked if I'd like to start a new thread for Polish - if you want to learn some words about skating and some basics, I'd love to! but do you think it's a good idea to start 2 languages in the same time (Russian and Polish)? Maybe let's wait a bit and start Polish when Olga will have taught us some Russian (which I consider as most useful for skating fans)... what do you think, ladies?

Gosia

Ninchen85
(8/11/05 5:52 pm)
Gosia!

But at first, I experienced the same ....

Nina

arlingtonian
Video Queen
(8/11/05 6:19 pm)
| Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Quote:
For IE click on 'View' on the top toolbar, then 'encoding' and click on Cryllic. It will refresh the page and you will be able to see the letters.

Thanks! Yes, that works on my computer at work. . However, I cannot seem to look at the Cyrillic alphabet AND the French language with accents at the same time . I need to choose one format at a time.

Actually, I was afraid to try it because last year I arranged my keyboard to be able to do French accents . It was then that I realized a French keyboard and an English keyboard are not identical . (Hey, where did the letter "A" go to? And where did the period punctuation mark go to ). So, that's why I can't type with French accents

And don't get me started with WebTV . Messages from France arrive incomplete, with accented letters completely deleted! .

Karen

Katya0812
Administrator
(8/11/05 10:18 pm)
| Edit | Del
ezSupporter

It's actually quite funny what I see on my screen when I forget to change the encoding back from cryllic, and don't get me started on my emails (which is also set up so that I can see the preview in cryllic)
Most of the accented letters can be found in alt codes Karen. Not sure if that would work with web tv either though
~Katya

Love2Smile
(8/12/05 12:57 am)
Thanks so much Olga for posting those links!

bloo mermaid
(8/12/05 1:31 am)

Quote:
But is there anyone else who wants to study a bit Russian?

Yes, me too! I just decided to study Russian in case (maybe hopefully) I go one day

mygirl
(8/12/05 3:42 am)
Ok! I’ll start the new thread but I should say that I’m not very keen on words about figure skating. I’ve never done figure skating unfortunately! But I’ll try to say everything that I know!
And I hope Katya will help me to answer your questions!
BTW Let’s back to French. I wanted to ask how to say ‘What’s new in your life’ in French?

Olga

MAMOUNA38
Administrateur
(8/12/05 8:44 am)
| Edit | Del

Olga,
qu'y a t'il de nouveau dans votre vie?

That is you there again in your life?

Gislaine

arlingtonian
Video Queen
(8/12/05 1:15 pm)
| Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Gislaine (ou les autres membres francaises ) --

* Do you use the phrase "Quoi de neuf?" (kwah de noof) for "What's new?"?

* And isn't the informal version of "How is it going?" "ca va?" (sah va?, with an accent UNDER the 'c')?

* Also, isn't "qu'est-ce qu'il y a?" (kess key lee ah) similar to "What's happening?" (literally 'what is there?')

And to repeat what I wrote in the Russian thread:

French also has a "you" for formal encounters (strangers, your elders, your parents, etc.), which is "vous" (vou). "Vous" is also the plural of 'you', so even if you are talking to both of your best friends, you use 'vous'. The informal 'you' is 'tu'. Of course, it is impossible to always know when to use which 'you'. I could create a thread about that topic alone.

For example, if we met Brian for the first time and talked to him in French, should we use 'vous'? Because when I see, for example, fans leaving a message at his official site guestbook, many of them use 'tu' . (I have always erred on the side of 'vous', just to be polite ).

Another little piece of info: the French usually greet each other with more than the word 'bonjour' or 'bon soir'. 'Bonjour' is often accompanied with "monsieur", "madame" or "mademoiselle". With strangers, though, how on earth do I know if a woman is a 'Madame' or a 'Mademoiselle'? When I was in France, how strangers addressed ME varied. I believe teenagers addressed me as 'Madame' (gee, thanks for reminding me of my age ) while older men always said 'bonjour mademoiselle ' . I was afraid to use the wrong one whenever I came across women close to my age. (and maybe that is why I approached more men than women -- 'bonjour monsieur!' , very simple .

Karen

MAMOUNA38
Administrateur
(8/12/05 5:02 pm)
| Edit | Del
Madame Karen!!

I would like to make a precision, accents are important !
Gislaine

SheenaVivien
(8/13/05 9:05 am)
Does modern French now have the title "Ms"?? It would solve a lot of problems - like Karens!!

Sheena

mygirl
(8/13/05 10:54 am)
A new question again.
How can you wish “Happy Birthday” in French?
Olga
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nina
vip

PostSubject: Re: French Words   13.06.06 20:00

Love2Smile
(8/13/05 12:02 pm)
lol Karen, that DOES sound tricky, for sure!

Isn't "Happy birthday" something like Joyeux Anniversaire? (lol, I don't know if I'm spelling it correctly, but I thought I'd be adventerous and try... )

~Love2Smile!

MAMOUNA38
Administrateur
(8/13/05 4:18 pm)
| Edit | Del
It is exact, Heidi ! Joyeux Anniversaire

Gislaine

arlingtonian
Video Queen
(8/13/05 5:01 pm)
| Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Sort of skating related -- to wish a skater "good luck", the French seem to use the phrase "bon courage" more often than "bonne chance".

Karen

Katya0812
Administrator
(8/13/05 10:19 pm)
| Edit | Del
ezSupporter

I noticed that too ... I wonder why that is?
~Katya

SheenaVivien
(8/14/05 10:44 am)
Some skaters would wish each other "skate well" - maybe it is like that, skill or courage instead of luck??

Sheena

MAMOUNA38
Administrateur
(9/9/05 7:44 am)
| Edit | Del
Have you new questions?
avez vous des nouvelles questions?
Gislaine

Malgosia G
(11/23/05 10:01 am)
| Edit | Del fremch words
Oui Gislaine, j'ai de nouvelles questions

I'd like French lessons back

How to say for example:
* - Matrix is my favourite programme .
* - It's snowing
* - and some more words associated with winter like - snowman, snowflakes, winter...

Malgosia

MAMOUNA38
Administrateur
(11/25/05 9:39 am)
| Edit | Del
Re: fremch words
Malgosia; Matrix est mon programme préféré .

It's snowing:Il neige de gros flocons de neige(As this night - comme cette nuit)

It snowed of big snowflakes( gros flocons de neige!)

I like the snow in winter, to see the children making a snowman. Mine are big but they like making one!

J'aime la neige en hiver , voir les enfants faire un bonhomme de neige.Les miens sont grands mais ils aiment en faire un!

Gislaine

Malgosia G
(11/25/05 6:21 pm)
| Edit | Del
Re: fremch words
Merci Gislaine

Malgosia

~Nina bisousfleurs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
crazymanu
Daft Punk

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: French Words   31.08.06 14:22

This may seem a silly question but I'd like to know what's the french for Cappuccino?
Is it the same as in italian or do you call it in a different way?

Manu
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gislaine
The Boss

Number of posts : 13307
Registration date : 2006-06-10

PostSubject: Re: French Words   31.08.06 15:10

crazymanu wrote:
This may seem a silly question but I'd like to know what's the french for Cappuccino?
Is it the same as in italian or do you call it in a different way?

Manu
Manu,We ask for a Cappuccino normally Wink ,on top of that I ' love this :greensmilewink !

Nous demandons un Cappuccino normalement ,en plus j' adore ça!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
crazymanu
Daft Punk

PostSubject: Re: French Words   31.08.06 15:24

Thanks Gis
now I know i lol! can have breakfast in Paris too.....

cappuccino and croissant....

how's my french?
manu
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anastasia
vip

Number of posts : 4091

PostSubject: Re: French Words   31.08.06 15:40

Lol Manu....

i am afraid you'll have to eat the same for all days of your trip for breakfast,dinner and supper if Gis won't teach you some names of dinner dishes and supper meals LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://brianjoubert.ruhelp.com/
Gislaine
The Boss

PostSubject: Re: French Words   31.08.06 16:58

crazymanu wrote:
Thanks Gis

how's my french?
manu
lol! Je voudrais un croissant et un cappucccino ,s'il vous plait, merci!
hahaha!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gislaine
The Boss

PostSubject: Re: French Words   31.08.06 17:03

crazymanu wrote:
Thanks Gis

how's my french?
manu

Manu, you are in what hotel? Send the name by pm Wink ! I think that you will meet persons who can help you! LOL I see eaten Manu beefsteak, fried, salads for all the menus mdr ! I have to find restos next to Bercy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anastasia
vip

Number of posts : 4091

PostSubject: Re: French Words   31.08.06 18:09

Yes,Gis,please do it....

or i will have to come and feed my friend....with Russian pancakes(honey,jem etc)lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://brianjoubert.ruhelp.com/
crazymanu
Daft Punk

PostSubject: Re: French Words   01.09.06 8:40

Thanks Gis,
I'll send you the hotel name.....

And if I can't express myself......I will have to trust Nastya's cooking lol!

Manu
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gislaine
The Boss

PostSubject: Re: French Words   01.09.06 17:10

crazymanu wrote:
Thanks Gis,
I'll send you the hotel name.....

And if I can't express myself......I will have to trust Nastya's cooking lol!

Manu

Your hotel is very well conceived and kept silent can choose without problem the breakfast! Lol! It is necessary to write in French Drapeau mdr ! Lol
Ton hôtel est très bien conçu et tu pourras choisir sans problème le petit-déjeuner !lol!
Il faut écrire en français!lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cravey
Matrix

Number of posts : 3023

PostSubject: Re: French Words   11.12.06 19:09

Hey, friends,
so on this wednesday I have french test, the BIG one, about all the things I have learnt during this time from september, and on friday I have the speaking part!!! Neutral Can you give me any advices, I don't know, somethig, for example, which is the easiest way to remember in which gender the word is? hide8up
Help thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dailslidosanalv.ucoz.com/
Gislaine
The Boss

PostSubject: Re: French Words   11.12.06 19:26

Write all the words which you learnt three times! If you learnt conjugations, you learn them by heart..
Ecrire tous les mots que tu as appris trois fois!
Si tu appris des conjugaisons ,tu les apprends par coeur ..

Gislaine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cravey
Matrix

PostSubject: Re: French Words   11.12.06 19:41

Thanks, tomorrow will be the official french day cheers
Thank you for the advice Smile
Back to top Go down
Ekaterina
Lord of the Dance

Number of posts : 1935

PostSubject: Re: French Words   11.12.06 19:53

Gender sometimes is getting on my nerves. My french teacher often tells me that when the word (as it's pronounced) ends in a vowel it's more likely to be feminine. And if it's pronounced with a final consonant - it's masculine. Also, everything that ends in -sion, -tion is feminine. But actually this rule never worked for me Very Happy Right now I'm desperately trying to memorize the gender of body parts.

The advise Gis has given you is very good. I usually memorize gender translating from Russian into French (my 'manuel' provides lots of exercises on the Russian-French translation).

Good luck tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cravey
Matrix

PostSubject: Re: French Words   11.12.06 19:59

Thanks, Rina! Although my test is on wednesday, tomorrow I'll be learning- to pass it very good and to get on to the next level Razz
Back to top Go down
Rach
vip

Number of posts : 2458
Registration date : 2006-08-15

PostSubject: Re: French Words   12.12.06 12:50

Ekaterina wrote:
Gender sometimes is getting on my nerves. My french teacher often tells me that when the word (as it's pronounced) ends in a vowel it's more likely to be feminine. And if it's pronounced with a final consonant - it's masculine. Also, everything that ends in -sion, -tion is feminine. But actually this rule never worked for me Very Happy Right now I'm desperately trying to memorize the gender of body parts.

The advise Gis has given you is very good. I usually memorize gender translating from Russian into French (my 'manuel' provides lots of exercises on the Russian-French translation).

Good luck tomorrow!

A little help found on the web, I hope you can use it, and courage ! Everntually you will get a sort of instinct for these things (always better sure than mistaken though) :

Words ending in
age, ier, in, isme, ment, and oir are
almost always masculine. Some exceptions: cage, image,
plage, fin, main.

Words ending in ade, ance, ée, ence,
esse, sion, , tion, and ure are
almost always feminine.

Some exceptions: grade, stade,
centigrade, coryphée, lycée, silence,
décolleté, été, doigté,
feuilleté, côté, sauté,
pâté, comté, himation, ligure,
bromure, mercure, tellure (all masculine).

Also if you can read French, you will find this helpful

"the trick with genders"

http://www.fourmilab.ch/francais/gender.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cravey
Matrix

PostSubject: Re: French Words   12.12.06 21:21

Merci, Rach!!! :kissvn8.gif: cheers
AAA, tomorrow's the day bounce , keep your fingers crossed Neutral
Back to top Go down
Ekaterina
Lord of the Dance

Number of posts : 1935

PostSubject: Re: French Words   13.12.06 10:42

Krista, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you;) I'm going to take my french exam in about a month, and I'm really frightened. I know how you must feel.

Rach, thank you for the link! hugs Gender is always a problem, since in Russian we have 3 genders (masculine, feminine and medium), and somehow in the majority of cases they don't coincide with French.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
humming bird
Le Blues du Businessman

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2006-06-14

PostSubject: Re: French Words   15.12.06 16:16

I've just read about your exam Krista. I hope it was good hugs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cravey
Matrix

PostSubject: Re: French Words   16.12.06 17:44

Bonsoir, mes amies youpi youpi youpi coeurgif coeurgif coeurgif coeurgif :crazy: :crazy: dance dance dance :cuti: :cuti: :cuti: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: love love love :cuti: :cuti: :cuti: :cuti: :cuti: :japonais-coeur :japonais-coeur :japonais-coeur clap clap :Invision-Board :Invision-Board :super: :super: :super: :super: :super: :super: :super:
I RECEIVED THE MAX POINTS FOR SPEAKING AT FRIDAY!!!!!!! I'M SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPPPPPPPPPPYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

Although I still don't know the result of my writing part, but it must be good :super: :super: !!!!!

That's why I wasn't here the last days, I was celebrating and I also had school grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr irritated. :shoot: :337malzonka.gi :337malzonka.gi !!!!

Thank you for all your advices!!! :grouphug2:
Back to top Go down
irina_something
SOS d'un terrien en detresse

Number of posts : 4437
Registration date : 2006-07-28

PostSubject: Re: French Words   16.12.06 18:20

congratulations krista!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gislaine
The Boss

PostSubject: Re: French Words   16.12.06 18:42

Félicitations Krista , essaye d' écrire en français ce que tu ressens !LOL!
Wink

Gislaine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: French Words   

Back to top Go down

French Words
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Miscellaneous :: Language Lessons-