View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

Number of posts : 3974
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Reading thread - recommend books here!   07.01.07 16:37

As i love reading so much, i thought of a book thread! I just wonder, what are you reading just now, who are your favourite authors, what kind of books do you like to read...

As for me, i prefer novels to poems and im absolutely into Czech authors Bohumil Hrabal and Milan Kundera. Yesterday i read Kundera's "Unbearable lightness of being". Its wonderful! I enjoyed it very much!

I also loved "Der Vorleser" by Bernhard Schlink, it was such an exciting reading and at some parts i was really shocked by the cruelness of the story...

I have also read Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Bench, which has some fantastic elements as well, so i had the feeling I'm reading a fairy tale for adults! It's a thick book but it's absolutely worth of reading!

Lord of the Rings by Tolkien is also my favourite and i love sci-fi, too (although it's hard to find really good sci-fi books, most of them are just about making war in the space...).

Well, i think it's enough for the first time, but i will share my reading impressions here, if you want me to!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Adelina
SOS d'un terrien en detresse

Number of posts : 4654
Registration date : 2006-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   07.01.07 17:36

I love to read very much.I've said one of my favs writers on another thread.Now i read Goethe-i do not know right now how can i translate the name of the book ,but i think u know Werther story?! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nona

Number of posts : 4751

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   07.01.07 17:48

well to be quite honest. the last book i read was harry potter and the order of the phoenix. Embarassed. i hope the fifth movie is gonna be just as good as the book. Mostly i read about fashion for school study : fashion history, 20th century fashion. but it's also a lot of fun to read it. specially about all the fantastic dressed they used to wear.

Nina
vip

Number of posts : 3534
Registration date : 2006-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   07.01.07 18:24

Great topic! cheers
My faves: Pillars of the Earth!, Memoires of a Geisha, Harry Potter, The Physician, The Perfume, The Alchemist, Illuminati
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gem
Caruso

Number of posts : 304

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   07.01.07 19:36

Memoirs of a geisha is also one of my favs. I also like the Harry Potter series, cant wait for the final book in the summer and Phillip Pullman and his Dark Materials trilogy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

Number of posts : 4437
Registration date : 2006-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   07.01.07 23:12

titi, i can never remember what books i liked when someone asks. i think i should make a post it with titles and writers!!!
you mentioned haruki murakami. i read 3 books by him , not the one you said you read. the one i liked out of the three was called ( at least in romanian ) " dance, dance, dance ". it is actually the second part of a story, but i did not like the first part and actually you don't have to read the first one to understand the second.
but i did liked the title of the book you mentioned, because i like kafka. i've only read " the trial " and " the castel ". i have no ideea if i understood them but i certanly enjoyed reading them.
it happenes to me quite often to read books that make me feel like there is something more to them then what i understand but still i enjoy them. i think the crazyest book i've read was one by boris vian " the foam of day " ( i don't know if the translation is right).
i am a huge fan of harry potter also and can't wait for the last book. i totally loved the previous one.
let me know titi, what you want from this thread. if you want as i remember a book i read and liked i can write the title here.
ok, i remembered another book that is kind of crazy " foucault's pendulum". and i totally loved " the last unicorn" by peter beagle.
my admiration to adelina, i was never able to read goethe.
now, i'll stop blahblah
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   08.01.07 11:20

Thanks for response, ladies hugs
Actually i planned to buy "Dance, dance, dance", too, but i wasnt sure because i didnt read the first part and i was afraid i wouldnt understand it! Now i think I will buy it soon, as you said it is not necessary to have read the first part!
Oh, Kafka on the Bench has some connection with the real Kafka, oh yes!
As for him (I mean Franz Kafka) I also liked "The trial" and i also like his short stories!

Quote :
it happenes to me quite often to read books that make me feel like there is something more to them then what i understand but still i enjoy them.

Same here, sometimes! Actually i really enjoy those books in which i feel this "mystery"...

Quote :
let me know titi, what you want from this thread. if you want as i remember a book i read and liked i can write the title here.

Thats what i exactly want, so i would know what to buy next, lol! lol!

Somebody mentioned Harry Potter, ive also read all the books and liked them a lot (although they cant be compared with Lord of the Rings, which is a masterpiece, in my opinion), and i really wonder what the end of the book will be!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ekaterina
Lord of the Dance

Number of posts : 1935

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   08.01.07 12:26

I've been studying literature for 2,5 years, and the best book I have read since that time was 'The History of Tom Jones, the foundling' by Henry Fielding.

And I enjoyed 'Les Liaisons Dangereuses' by Choderlos de Laclos.

Right now I'm reading 'Memoirs of a Geisha' by Golden and for the first time in my life I think about picking up Japanese as a third language.

And I was impressed by 'A Hundred Years of Solitude' by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   08.01.07 13:56

i've read " a hundred years of solitude " and i must say i did not understand the point of it and did not like it. so i went and read why it is such a popular book . i am just as confused after reading the explanation. i did not see the history of latin america or the history of the world in there. oh, well, maybe that's way marquez has a nobel and i don't. but i did enjoyed quite a lot some other books by him such as " about love and other deamons ".
irina
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   08.01.07 15:28

Well, as for Hundred Years of Solitude, i have never thought of that book as of the history of the world or Latin America... I have never noticed such a point in it... But i loved it so much, i simply enjoyed the way it is written.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
humming bird
Le Blues du Businessman

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2006-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   08.01.07 18:01

I love reading but I wasn't reading a lot lately Embarassed I hope I will be better this year Wink

I loved Harry Potter too, Gemma it's going to be published in the summer??????? is so -> I can't wait Very Happy
besides I love Shakespeare Smile when I was a little kid I used to read James Oliver Curwood's books about animals from the north Smile and I like Stephen King ('The great march' really impressed me...)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

Number of posts : 2023

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   08.01.07 18:39

For the romance readers among us, I would suggest "The Bronze Horseman" by Paullina Simons. The characters are so engaging that they stay in your mind long after the book is finished. However, I must warn you to buy the largest box of tissues that you can find because much of it is quite sad. It's a great read!

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leni
Matrix

Number of posts : 3121

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   08.01.07 19:12

Reading cheers :super: ..ah :love-love: such a lovely &priceless activity for me :cuti: coeurgif ! Thank you Titi,for opening this thread! bisousfleurs clap :kissvn8.gif:
Well,lately I don`t read as much as usual Rolling Eyes ,Ican`t choose among the books I`ve read lol! .It`s a hobby I had since a little kid.I love many kind of books,mystery,romance,scientific etc.I used to read a lot! study
I adore many authors like Dostogievsky (sorry for the spelling Embarassed ),I like Tolstoi,Jane Austen,Emily and Charlotte Bronde and so on...! :love-love:
A book that is always in my heart is 'Weathering Heights' by Emily Bronde and o course 'Anna Karenina'-Tolstoi. :36_3_15:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ekaterina
Lord of the Dance

Number of posts : 1935

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   10.01.07 14:06

The same with me. When I was reading One Hundred Years I simply loved the way the book is written. I feel something like that when I watch Bergman's films.

leni, thanks to my school, I never liked Tolstoy Razz I was made to read 'War and Peace' when I was 14 and 'Prestuplenie i Nakazanie' ('Crime and Punishment' or whatever it's called in English) at 15, and I still think that it's was too early for me.

I just remembered how I cried over 'Moomoo' by Turgenev.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
peirsolgirl
Lord of the Dance

Number of posts : 1739
Registration date : 2006-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   10.01.07 17:43

I love to read, but unfortunately the last book I read and didn't need for school was 6 months ago... grrrrrrrrrmur
My favourite writers are the Russians: Dostoievski( I just adore everything he wrote) , Gogol's "Dead Souls", Pasternak's "Dr Zhivago", Tolstoi's "War and peace" ( although I have to admit that the chapters that described the war and Napoleon's army would make me sleep... Embarassed )
Kafka's "America" and "The trial" were also very chalenging.
Thackeray's "Vanity Fair",Oscar Wilde: "The picture of Dorian Grey",Victor Hugo's "Notre Dame de Paris"
The books of my childhood were the ones written by Jules Verne and Karl May( did you read "Winnetou"?)
Hm..what else...can't remember right now.... scratch
There are also a lot of Romanian books I enjoyed, but I suppose it makes no sense writing about it here.
But I think each one of us could post some poetry from their own countries, what do you think?
And I also wanted to ask if any of you have read James Joyce's "Ulysses"...It seems absolutely impossible to me... :ko:
Adelina, I also read "The sorrows of young Werther" last year and I loved it :super:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   10.01.07 17:51

i also loved the portret of dorian grey. and i just love oscar wilde , i think i would have liked to meet him , he seems so much fun. i actually read also some of his short stories. some of them are silly but still fun. the ghost of canterville was an exemple of silly but fun. the way the the american family deals with the presence of the ghost is hilarious.
i was never able to read the russian writers because of some short stories i read when i was a child. they made me cry so much i just could not pick up another russian book.
irina
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sunshine
Blue Man Group

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2006-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   10.01.07 20:07

Titanilla wrote:
Lord of the Rings, which is a masterpiece, in my opinion

Titi, I also think that Lord of the Rings is a masterpiece!!! Tolkien was a genius!!! I've read Lord of the Rings for the first time some years ago (before anybody knew that there would be a movie). My father gave it to me, because he loves this book. It became my favourite book, immediately! And that hasn't changed yet and I guess it never will!

I also love the Harry Potter books. Reading them is so much fun. I'm impatiently waiting for last book!

I enjoy reading a lot, so there are many other books that I like. For example Illuminati and Sakrileg. And I also like Diana Gabaldon's books (Cross Stitch, etc.).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gem
Caruso

Number of posts : 304

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   10.01.07 20:19

humming bird wrote:

I loved Harry Potter too, Gemma it's going to be published in the summer??????? is so -> I can't wait Very Happy
It was on the news last week. The title is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Back to top Go down
View user profile
humming bird
Le Blues du Businessman

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2006-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   10.01.07 21:33

gem wrote:
humming bird wrote:

It was on the news last week. The title is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

cheers can't wait!!! I don't believe that it'll be the last part... but on the other hand I wouldn't like Rowling to carry on. if she decided 7, she writes 7.
my parents gave me 'Winnetou' few years ago but I haven't read it so far Embarassed I've got 10 thousand books which I would like to read but I don't Sad
and I also liked Jane Austen's 'Pride and prejudice' Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   10.01.07 22:08

i know i am 26 and supposed to be all mature and all, but if jk kills harry i will be incredebly pissed.
i also remembered i read 2 books by Simone de Beauvoire . one was called " the memories of a good girl " ( this is my translation ) and the other " the second sex ". i liked them both very much. the first one is autobigraphy and it is very interesting. and the second one is a research about women and how men saw women for centuries and why all those things were not true. it is really interesting.
and i also read one book of sarte " nausea ". it a strange and very diferent book but i liked it a lot. especially one thing about " perfect moments " got stuck to my mind forever.
kisses
irina
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leni
Matrix

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   11.01.07 12:16

"Lord of the rings" and "Harry Potter" are excellent books :super: ! I love reading them too :cuti: Smile ,it`s so much fun! Can`t wait for the movie to come!! :jumping:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Love2Smile
ma gueule

Number of posts : 1392

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   14.01.07 4:10

Great thread, Titi :super:

I recently read "Persuasion" by Jane Austen, and I loved it!! cheering

I also love the book version of "A Walk To Remember" by Nickolas Sparks. :love-love: (That's definetely one where the kleenex that Mary recommended would be required!)

When I was really young, about 5-9 years old, I loved loved loved to read! When I went to check out of the library, the librarian would always look at me like "Why on earth would you get all of these books at one time??" LOL. But I'd read through them, and my mom always told me that I was reading a grade or 2 ahead of my level.
Then, after about 12 years old or so, I never seemed to find any books that interested me, so I pretty much stopped reading almost entirely for several years. Now, that love has completely come back to me- I find myself spending 3-4 hours at the local Barnes and Noble bookstore. I love you I find so much in that store that I want to read that sometimes my mind literally spins.

I mostly like books on science, Christian fiction, journalling, scrapbooking, bookmaking, castles, French scenery and history sunny, poetry I love you , nature, etc etc etc .... sunny

I also recently read a great book called "Words in a French Life." It was fascinating! In it, Kristin Espinasse (the author) writes of her experiences in France, after she married a frenchman and moved to France. Drapeau
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.poeticwanderings.wordpress.com
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   14.01.07 12:16

what is Christian fiction? i never heard about it before????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leni
Matrix

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   14.01.07 17:17

!
Quote :
I recently read "Persuasion" by Jane Austen, and I loved it!!
"Persuasion" is my favourite Jane Austen`s book cheers :cuti: :super: !I`m glad you liked it dance ! It`s plot is amazing,isn`t it? :love-love:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Love2Smile
ma gueule

Number of posts : 1392

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   14.01.07 18:37

Yes, that book has quite the plot! Very Happy I was impressed with the development of the characters!

Irina, Christian fiction is basically like any other fiction, with kind of a "stamp" on it as being "Christian".
My favorite author in this category is definetely Diana Crawford! cheers She wrote an amazing series of books that are now out of print, which terribly upsets me, as I only have the first one in the series and I read it over and over... I got the other books from the library, so at least I was able to read them. I'd love to own them, though! study
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.poeticwanderings.wordpress.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   

Back to top Go down

Reading thread - recommend books here!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 11Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Miscellaneous :: Anything/ Discussion divers hors patinage-
Jump to: