View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

Number of posts : 3974
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   27.04.08 14:54

It seems this is only my and Irinas thread by now lol! but I dont mind...

Right now Im reading a book by Margaret Atwood: A Handmaids Tale. Its an utopy, when the society completely changes and because of kinda radioactive catastrophe only a few women can have children. Those are the Handmaids, as they have less rights than the rich wives of soldiers etc, so their only task is to get pregnant and to bore a healthy child.

I like this book a lot, although I have read only maybe the first quarter of it by now... But hopefully will read more in the evening... I like it mainly because this is situated in the close future, so everyone can remember the ordinary way of life, when they were free, they could wear jeans, earrings and such things...

Has anyone read this book here? If so, what do you thing about it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheena

Number of posts : 5583

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   27.04.08 15:04

I've heard of it but never read it, I believe there is also a film (which I've not seen either!)....

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something
SOS d'un terrien en detresse

Number of posts : 4437
Registration date : 2006-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   27.04.08 16:40

nope titi. this is the first time i hear about it.

i am reading "the general in his labyrinth" by garcia marques. i started it like 3 weekes ago but somehow i can't seem to be able to finish it. it is interesting because it talks about the history of the making of the latin countries in south america, something i know nothing about. but on the other hand the manner of writing is sort of not exciting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Malgosia
vip

Number of posts : 3247

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   20.06.08 10:19

This thread was brought back from archives by Irina's request. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   20.06.08 11:03

thank you so much!! i promise to tell about the last book i've read very soon!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   20.06.08 11:41

Im happy to see this thread here again!

Last book I read were short stories by Camus. I liked them a lot, they are all about loneliness and how people deal with it... Very interesting. I borrowed that book from a good colleague of mine who is also quite a loner... It was interesting to read such a book, somehow I always got the feeling those stories are about him.

Before this, I read Amnesia Moon, which is quite a bizarre science-fiction but I liked it a lot. It is about how USA gets divided into separate "worlds" with their own strange rules and it is also about a huge amnesia that nobody knows what exactly happened... A strange, but very interesting reading!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Adelina

Number of posts : 4654
Registration date : 2006-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   20.06.08 17:03

Now i read Obaka-san by Shusaku Endo.
I really like it Razz It's about a french who visits Japan Smile
He thinks that anything has to end with -san... dog-san, pigeons- san mdr
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   22.06.08 0:22

titi, i read many stories by camus as well. i love how he feels the sea. a long time ago when i read " the plague " i was so surprised to read my own feeling about the sea written down by someone else.

the last book i've read is " 1984 " by orwell. it's one creepy book. and if you ever lived in a country with a totalitarian regime it's even creepier . i suppose everybody knows about this book but i only read it now. so i only realized now that the show " big brother " was inspired by this book. this realization gave me a very weird feeling. this is a book about the absolute evil, the absolute control over people and someone read it and thought : oh well lets make a tv show out of it Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TWITTI
The Mission

Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   22.06.08 8:21

My favorite book is now Queen Bees and Wannabes by Rosalind Wisemann...
(This book is the source the movie: Mean girls /with Lindsay Lohan/) :sakura:
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brian-joubert.allgoo.net
starg
Caruso

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   22.06.08 9:00

I read The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco few weeks ago. In spite of that sometimes it was difficult and boring to read because it's full of latin sentences (I didn't know their meanings) and long conversations about biblical things, I have to say that it's a very interersting and exciting novel, I liked it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   22.06.08 11:34

i have to admit that i only saw the movie made from this book in the name of the rose, but i like very much the ideea of the movie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   23.06.08 9:45

Yes, Irina, 1984 is a very creepy book... When I read it for the first time I couldnt shake over that terrible feeling from myself for a few days...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   14.07.08 13:56

I have read a great book lately, by Anthony Burgess: One hand clapping. It is not as brutal as Clockwork Orange, and it is a great parody of the society totally believing in television and commercials... In fact, its not a cheerful story, but I laughed at it a lot.

I also read a book by Lee Stringer "Grand Central Winter". It was written by a homeless guy who spent many years on the streets, and then he started to sell the "Street News", then he started to write to it and in the end he wrote this book. Even Kurt Vonnegut was impressed by him! In fact, i wasnt that impressed, but it is a quite well-written book. At certain times it is a bit sentimental, but I guess thats what will happen to you when you live on the streets - you have to harden yourself to survive and then, even if the slightest sign of friendship or something appears, you get sentimental. But as it is kind of a documentary, and still written with fresh style, I liked it and it was a very interesting reading!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   14.07.08 14:59

titi, i am glad that someone is still reading Embarassed i am caught in so many silly, annoying stuff that are keeping me away from reading.
i have to read a lot of science books at the moment, but even for those i have little time.
i hate all the bureaucratic stuff that is just a waste of paper and that is taking so much of my life right now.

on topic - i would be curious to read this book by burgess.

as for the other book somehow it does not raise my interest. maybe because you mentioned kurt vonnegut. i only read one of his books but i was very unimpressed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lovebrian
Untouchable

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2007-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   14.07.08 15:25

I´ve read two very interesting books the last two months.
The first one is the "Oracle night" by Paul Auster; it´s really complicated to read but very intense.
The second one is "The Boy With the Striped Pyjamas" about the atmosphere in Nazi Germany through the eyes of a nine-year-old boy.In some occasions was very sad but finally it allows to see a beam of hope.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   15.07.08 18:54

irina_something wrote:

as for the other book somehow it does not raise my interest. maybe because you mentioned kurt vonnegut. i only read one of his books but i was very unimpressed.

Im totally in love with Vonnegut. Slaughterhouse-Five is one of my favourite books! But different people, different tastes, LOL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   15.07.08 19:22

i have not read Slaughterhouse-Five. i know it is his most famous book but they did not have it at the library. so i read galapagos and i found his style of writing kind of boring for my taste. but if you recommend it and i i find it at the library i will try also Slaughterhouse-Five.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   20.07.08 15:27

Im reading a book about a kamikaze pilot right now. Its very interesting. Im just at the training part - when they are trained for being a kamikaze, but its full of brutality, they are beaten, tortured, everything... It is based on a true story of a kamikaze (who should have go on his last flight the day after the war ended, so he survived...), and im feeling like watching one of those movies full of cliche about becoming a soldier... You have to suffer a lot, you have to bear everything without yelling, etc, you just have to harden yourself... It all sounds it is just a movie cliche but actually it worked that way. I truly admire the author who was just 15 (!) when he got into the camp and still survived and overcame it all. Many of his fellows committed suicide because they couldnt handle the constant pain and humiliation...

More infos on the book here: http://wgordon.web.wesleyan.edu/kamikaze/books/fiction/kuwahara/index.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   20.07.08 15:50

titi , sorry if this is a dumb question. but you said lots of the guys in training camp for being a kamikaze killed themselves because they could not take the training? maybe i am weird, but it just sounds crazy funny Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   20.07.08 17:00

:lach: Irina, I just realized, it is really funny! :lach: (Sorry for being morbid...)

Well, they killed themselves because they were tortured all the time and they wanted to end their suffering.

LOL. Poor kamikazes, Im laughing so much now....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   20.07.08 17:39

titi, it's good to know at least we both have a morbid sense of humor Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   05.09.08 14:32

I have read a fantastic book lately, by Niels Fridrik Dahl: "On the way to a friend". It is a book written in a very specific style, not like written sentences, but more like thoughts, absolutely awesome. The story is very tough, a lonely boy, who never really finds the true love in his family, is alone on the way to a friend, and then something happens. What exactly, we learn just at the end of the book, but this thing has affected all his life. Loneliness, desire to be loved and long-long walks alone without a real friend... I just found this fascinating.

And I still cant decide whether I liked this book because I never was lonely, or because I was the loneliest child ever...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   05.09.08 20:13

titi, i am glad to see someone is still reading hide8up i am only reading medical books until october.

but this book sounds very interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheena

Number of posts : 5583

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   06.09.08 13:18

I read much of the time too!! - mostly my favourite fantasy or historical (especially whodunnits) genres!!

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   06.09.08 15:34

it's funny that your favorites are fantasy or historical. because on one hand you escape reality and on the other hand you sink yourself in real facts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   

Back to top Go down

Reading thread - recommend books here!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Miscellaneous :: Anything/ Discussion divers hors patinage-
Jump to: