View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Adelina
SOS d'un terrien en detresse

Number of posts : 4654
Registration date : 2006-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   06.09.08 16:42

I've just took from the library two books. One is "Balzac et la Petite Tailleuse chinoise"/"Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress" by Dai Sijie . And the other one is "Taiko" by Eiji Yoshikawa - about this book : when I arrived home and wanted to read it, realize that it's the seconde volume tire la langue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheena

Number of posts : 5583
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   07.09.08 9:40

irina_something wrote:
it's funny that your favorites are fantasy or historical. because on one hand you escape reality and on the other hand you sink yourself in real facts.

I'm just a bundle of contradictions!!!!

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

Number of posts : 3974

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   29.09.08 9:07

I have read some great books lately. At first, Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. It is an urban fantasy about a weird world under London. I enjoyed it very much, it had a great mystical athmosphere.
Then I also read The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie (yes, the Hugh Laurie who is Dr. House and he wrote this book long before he became famous as House). It was a way too funny book! His comments are always so ironic and I simply loved them. Many times I laughed really loud at it, if you like this kind of hard humour, i can only recommend this book!
And right now Im reading The Day Lasts More Than a Hundred Years by Chingiz Aitmatov. It is completely different from the previous ones, but I like it. It is situated in Kazakhstan, and the life of an ordinary man is compared by the destiny of the whole Earth... Very interesting, I wonder how it ends...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

Number of posts : 4437
Registration date : 2006-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   29.09.08 17:42

interesting stuff titi !!!

i never heard that laurie wrote a book.

i miss reading a normal book study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carol
James Bond

Number of posts : 1350
Registration date : 2007-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   29.09.08 20:06

In that case, Gaiman's book is going to be the next point on my very very long list of books that I must read after I finish school in May :ko: So far, I've only read his Stardust and surprisingly I found the film much better than it. But I promised myself to not give up on him, as I've heard many good opinions about him and I really think that he has interesting ideas, only maybe he's not so good at passing it - but I'm gonna wait until I read his other stories.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://carolstime.livejournal.com
Malgosia
vip

Number of posts : 3247

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   30.09.08 16:06

I'm currently reading the first book of Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   12.10.08 8:23

Finally I have read the Picture of Dorian Gray. I loved it. Its really strange to see how evil people can be, although they were innoncent at the very beginning...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   12.10.08 12:30

i am glad you read it titi. i loved the book also. it's full oscar wilde usual wit and also the idea is a very interesting one. but the main idea is a little creepy because after i read the book i looked twice to people who seemed innocent Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheena

Number of posts : 5583

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   12.10.08 13:35

irina_something wrote:
because after i read the book i looked twice to people who seemed innocent Wink

Darrn, thats my cover blown!

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FREYJA
Time

Number of posts : 761
Registration date : 2007-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   12.10.08 14:28

Titanilla wrote:
Finally I have read the Picture of Dorian Gray. I loved it. Its really strange to see how evil people can be, although they were innoncent at the very beginning...
I read it two years ago, it was a great book Smile and i agree with you about the innocent people
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://earenellen.spaces.live.com/
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   12.10.08 16:08

Sheena wrote:

Darrn, thats my cover blown!

:lach: :lach: :lach:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
6marinka
James Bond

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   12.10.08 17:46

Oh yes, Sheena, mine as well :lach: :lach: :lach:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   21.10.08 8:45

I got a book as a present from a friend and although it is quite thick, i have read it in three nights. (Today i went to sleep at 2.30 a. m., but... uhm... reading is a great thing.)
Jodie Picoult: Nineteen Minutes
Its about a massacre in a high school, which happens in 19 minutes. A bullied boy decides to take revenge in this way. It is a very interesting story about what school bullying can do with you, written in kind of a movie-way, the author changes places, subjects in every two pages and then goes back to them after some time. This makes the book really movie-ish, you are not really interested in the style, more the story, and as in some movies, you get mad about some cliché in the solutions...
But all in all its a very entertaining book.

Btw, i really wonder if you ever experienced such a bullying. I mean, in this book this boy is locked into a wardrobe, or they pull down his pants and underwear, they publish his personal e-mails on a whole-school mailing list, etc.
As far as I remember, we also had a guy in the class whose boots were often hidden by the other guys and they sometimes took his books to play pingpong with it but our class was never divided into "cool" and "loser" people... Maybe its more an American phenomenon, maybe i was just lucky.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
6marinka
James Bond

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   21.10.08 15:22

Interesting that you´ve mentioned bullying. Titi, because just the other day, I´ve heard from one of my colleagues that her class was a kind of doing something like this to one of their classmates. They were telling some bad jokes, laughing at him, provoking him, no fights but more of a spoken provoking. One of the boys has also touched him on that particular place down there - he said just for fun, right in front of the whole class and they were laughing at it. It´s not so massive like in the U.S. but it´s very unpleasing and dehonestating anyway. I think the kids merely don´t really understand what they do to the poor guy, that they really hurt him. I guess they need a serious talk about tolerating other people and about appropriate behaviour between civilized people. I´ve been teaching some of them for two months now, so I will surely have a talk with them, no screaming at them but a civilized talk about the possible effects of bullying and helping eachother instead of bringing others down. Most of them are actually quite nice (only not appreciated by parents or living only with one parent who works all the time), but despite of being 15 or 16 years old, they are still children and forget that there are certain moral limits one has to keep and that not everything is fun and entertainment...

I remember a similar book - "The Wave" by Morton Rhue. It was based on a true story, set in a highschool, where a history teacher wants to help his students to find the answers to the questions how was facism evolved, why was there Holocaust, how could the young people follow Adolf Hitler and create the "Hitlerjugend" (because they are sure, they wouldn´t let themselves be influenced in such a way), so he makes an experiment - he creates a "society" called "The Wave" where the students of his class come together for a common purpse - to attend sport matches together, organize meetings, do different things together, support eachother. They also carry a kind of ribbon on their sleeves with the sign of The Wave. The movement gains more and more members from the whole school. However, it is all slowly falling apart as the members of The Wave start to bully non-members or those who have different opinions or don´t want to become members and those who were friends turn against eachother. It all turns almost into a catastrophy, when the formely peaceful movement becomes an agressive and dangerous gang bullying and hurting those who oppose.
It´s not a thick book, but it´s fascinating, especially the climax. I´ve read it (in German) at highschool for our German lessons, where we have discussed it. I still have it and read it from time to time. It shows a lot about people´s unconscious change of good will into something really evil, the fact that facism and racial and social hatred are always present and what fatal consequences it might have when we forget about the true values of life...

Michelle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   21.10.08 17:41

titi i always wonder when i watch some silly american movies if america is really like that. i was in usa ( of course not in highschools Razz ) and i only met nice people.
do such things really happen?
when i was in my last 2 years before highschools i was bullied a little by two boys. it was a little weird since until then we were friends and then it was like all of a sudden they discovered i was a girl and they were boys. i really heart my feelings but i wasn't anything major.

in highschool i was in the crowd i wanted to be in and never had fights with other people. of course we weren't all best friends but we got along pretty well. there were jokes of course and there were people who thought they were cool and we had the goodlooking girls and the hookers and the drug users and the ones that had plastic surgery but honestly we never had bullies in highschool. Suspect
one interesting aspect , one of they boys that treated me badly before highschool moved into my class after one year of highschool. i was very upset with him still so i told everybody he was an ass. so he got not a very nice welcoming but he turned out to have matured and for the rest of the time we got along pretty good and we are still today on good terms.
somehow i think we were already mature enough in highschool not to such retarded jokes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carol
James Bond

Number of posts : 1350
Registration date : 2007-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   21.10.08 19:26

I wouldn't say it's such a fictional thing - bullying in schools. And by bullying I don't mean bad and hurting jokes about a child, I mean much worse, going into physical things.
Recently in our country, especially in grammar schools (13-16 years old) there has been an enormous increase in suicides commited by the children who suffered from their school 'colleagues'. And even though most of the time they suffer mentally (which is sometimes actually way worse than physically), from those prats telling them 'what they would do to them if...', there are also many cases of physical violence, even such when students beat their teacher during lesson.

And about those hiding things and making utterly stupid jokes - I think it is quite common too. I'm not saying it's in every school or class - but even in my grammar school class there was one boy that others always joked about, took his things, threw them out of the window and so on.

So even when it seems unreal in other places - it's not. At last, all these stories and silly American film must have a base in some truth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://carolstime.livejournal.com
mygirl

Number of posts : 971

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   06.11.08 7:09

I’ve just finished reading “Wish You Well” by David Baldacci and I must confess that this is the best book I’ve ever read in English. Of course as a person learning this language I was greatly amazed by the beauty of the author’s writing style, not to mention the storyline that was so touching, so true to life and at some points made me smile and at others made my eyes watery.

It’s a story of two children (Lou and Oz) living in New York with two parents. Their father is a famous writer but he is struggling to make ends meet. And all being well until a terrible car accident kills their father, leaves their mom catatonic and forces children to move from New York to a small rural town in Virginia, high in the mountains, where their only blood relation - their great-grandmother - can take care of them.

It’s equally the story about developing love to your close ones and forgiving them for their mistakes, learning to cherish their presence in your life while they are still here beside you and it’s not too late.

I’m really impressed by this book, and if you have a chance, do give it a try, for it’s worth it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   26.11.08 20:22

i finally managed to read a book after a long time.
it was an easy to read book. it's called " slam " by nick hornby. he has a nice way of writing. he does not write genius books but he writing has a very real feel to it.
i also read by him : High Fidelity, A Long Way Down and Fever Pitch .
his books have been made into movies but unfortunately the hollywood movies lost the real feel part from his books.
i like his writing also because his main character is always a man and it gives you the man's point of view and i find this interesting.

" slam" is about a 16 year old boy who meets girl has a nice realtionship with her but things don't last. the wy the relationship is described really feels like a 16 years old thing. but unfortunately they have sex and she gets pregnant. she decides to keep the baby.
the story shows how he and her make things work somehow in a way that is ok for the child but the 2 of them do not stay together.
at the end of the book we read sam's ( the main character ) thoughts thinking ( he is 20 at the end of the book) : life is not bad, he still got into collage, he loves his child, he gets along well with the mother of the child and he has a girlfriend. but still even if things are not bad it's not really what he had planned for himself.

i like it because it shows that having a baby it's not the end of the world but that also it makes your life be totally diferent from you thought it would be if you have the baby too soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   26.11.08 21:34

Fever Pitch is a great book! I would love to write about it more, but now Im watching Champions League, LOL! mdr
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   26.11.08 21:35

my husband is at the cluj-as roma game. which one are you watching/

i loved fever pitch too!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   26.11.08 21:36

watched cluj but after roma was leading by 2 goals i switched to inter-pana
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   26.11.08 23:09

titi, when you have time tell me some books that come to your mind. this way maybe i get inspired about what book to reed. did you ever read anything by Doris Lessing. she got the nobel prize recently and i saw a book of hers in the shop and i was tempted to buy it.

i am trying to get my subscription to the library in cluj. it is very annoying that i have to convince them to change the rules for me. they only lend books to people who have housing in cluj. as i only live there 4 days a week i have no documents to prove it. Rolling Eyes
i do have my subscription for the library in constanta where i ahave a good record of giving the books back. and since all the libraries are paid for by the state i don't get what it matters where i live and why can't i borrow a book anywhere in this country grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
i hope that maybe this friday they will give me a trial subscription. it's like i want the keys to the country's national bank. :shoot:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   27.11.08 10:28

I found it really weird that the library gives books only to someone who lives in that city! Here you can have as many library accounts, as you wish! Many people not living in Bratislava have library accounts there because of course, the libraries at the capital are the best.

Hm, books.... At first, about Fever Pitch. When I read it, I started to underline the sentences that fit me... After 5 pages I realized that this way I will have the whole book underlined! mdr I think it is a very witty description of crazy football fans!

Right now Im reading short stories by Javier Marias. They are really interesting and kind of philosophical.

One of my favourite authors is the Czech Bohumil Hrabal. I dont know if his novels and short stories are translated to Romanian, but you might search for it. I love his sense of humour and way of story-telling.

A few days ago I read a very interesting novel by Abe Kobo: The Box Man. Its hard to describe this book, its about people who decide to leave in a box, because they want to be alone and they dont want to belong to the society. So they concentrate only for theirselves and have their own world. I mean, every box man has his own world, not a common box world for all of them, LOL. It is a strange book but I loved it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   29.11.08 16:36

titi, i tried 2 times to read this one book by javier marias and even if it who nice i just couldn't finish it. i had it from the library and my time expired every time and i had to take it back.

maybe i will try again if they will give me access to the books Rolling Eyes

the idea i liked best in fever pitch was when he says that because he had this particular kind of insanity everytime someone that met him even for a brief instant would watch a football match will remeber him. i liked this idea for the obvious reason that i think with my paticular insanities people will remeber me also tire la langue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
emessse
Time

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2008-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   29.11.08 21:04

Titi, i also tried Bohumil Hrabal, but maybe i'm don't have the sense of deep understanding, or i just wasn't paying enough atention. however i have this habit of giving up reading a book.....but i always return to them after years of course.this summer i've read lot's of books which i should had to read at high school.and i enjoyed them.now......
now i'm reading in spanish, because of my exam, and i've found an adorable book from Carmen Martin Gaite 'Caperucita en Manhattan', which presents a 10 years old girls world, how she is dreaming, and how she is not understood by adults, but all this doesn't stop her dreaming.
and Irina which
library are you talking about?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   

Back to top Go down

Reading thread - recommend books here!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Miscellaneous :: Anything/ Discussion divers hors patinage-
Jump to: