View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
irina_something
SOS d'un terrien en detresse

Number of posts : 4437
Registration date : 2006-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   26.04.09 21:41

sure emi. but i think you are more likely to find it then me, since i stay only few days in cluj.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iulya
Mexican Hat Dance

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2007-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   28.04.09 8:45

Try getting it online:
http://librarieonline.net/enzo-sau-arta-de-a-pilota-pe-ploaie-p-4355.html
http://www.pravaliacucarti.ro/Garth-Stein-Enzo-sau-arta-de-a-pilota-pe-ploaie-p-21513-c-320-p.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oana24

Number of posts : 973
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   28.04.09 18:52

Iulya wrote:
Last week-end I finished reading "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein ....lovely book ... I highly recommend it!!
(it;s not a book just for the racing lovers ...it's a story of family with all the emotions seen through the eyes of a dog called Enzo)

More about it
http://www.garthstein.com/racing/index.php
Well, if you can't find it Emi & Irina, i can tell you that in Timisoara i've seen this book on the shelves of every book store i enterd these past few days. My eyes fell upon the cute picture on the cover so i read the description on the back of the book and i liked it very much. The comparison with "Jonathan Livingstone Seagull", a book i love from the bottom of my heart, earned this book even more points in my eyes. :super: The only reason i haven't bought it yet is because i don't have time to read it right now, but after reading your recommendations i'm even more determined to buy it and read it during the summer holidays Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
emessse
Time

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2008-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   29.04.09 20:01

i have to make a confession, i had this book in my hands during the book fair in Cluj Embarassed
and i havn't bought it, i've chosen the 'slumdog millionaire' book....
and btw, as i liked the movie, i thought that i'll like the book as well.....this was not so Sad
the book is so different from the movie, nothing is the same...i didn't like it, the only touching thing is the last sentence, so my advice is: keep reading even if you don't like the book. the book is full with cheap and very heart melting stories, but not real at all....

as for Enzo, i just looked in online catalogs of the libraries Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   07.07.09 14:28

i have not read much lately. i only finished a book called " breakfast of the champions " by kurt vonegut. not brilliant but a fun read with some interesting ideas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FREYJA
Time

Number of posts : 761
Registration date : 2007-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   18.08.09 12:43

I´m reading a book from Stieg Larsson - Män som hatar kvinnor (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) and I really like it , I hope that the other two books from trilogy Millennium will be good too Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://earenellen.spaces.live.com/
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

Number of posts : 3974

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   19.08.09 16:12

I have heard about this trilogy a lot. Maybe I will read it as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   15.09.09 22:53

the possibility of an island - Michel Houellebecq
i just started but it seems very interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   16.09.09 12:05

Irina, I have read it as well! and yes, it is very interesting and thought-evoking...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zandor
Daft Punk

Number of posts : 2942
Registration date : 2006-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   16.09.09 14:37

I can't wait for the releasing of Lost Symbol, the continuation of Da Vinci Code, of Dan Brown! :jumping: The critics likes to bash the author, but I think DB's books are true entertainment, so I don't care about critics. I'm a huge Robert Langdon fan! love Unfortunately it will be only here in the end of november, as I'm curious problably I will buy first an english book.

Blue Bead
vip

Number of posts : 2023

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   16.09.09 16:51

Me, too, Iza! LOL The book has been officially released. Here's are some articles I found on it this morning: http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/09/16/doc-jensen-dan-brown-lost-symbol-book-club/
http://shelf-life.ew.com/2009/09/15/dan-brown-lost-symbol-review/

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zandor
Daft Punk

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   17.09.09 16:06

Mary, thanks for the article! hugs I've always read Doc Jensen reviews on Lost and I didn't know he also writes about books too. Why he gave C+ for the book, if most of his review is positive?

Do you already bought the new book? Dan Brown knows how to keep the readers attention. I'm really excited to know the views of readers on this new adventure of Robert Langdon, so please, Mary, tell me your impressions after reading the book? :anges: Today, one of my teacher complains that the students prefer to read a crap book as Da Vinci Code instead José Saramago books(in my opinion, a boring, ideologist and ridicoulous man)...Most of my colleagues gave him a huge BOOOOO.

Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   17.09.09 16:31

Iza....After reading several reviews of "Lost Symbol" I went out and bought it yesterday, LOL. While I've only had but a short amount of time to start reading it, It certainly is one of those books you can't put down easily. One of the things about the details D. Brown has used to create this story is extensive research into the subjects of Egyptology and Freemasonry, among others. He sprinkles the details of these throughout the story and it really brings everything to life. The other facet in its creation is the use of a suspenseful ending to each chapter which only serves to drive the reader to continue. I've read the first 3 chapter, so far; I read until 3 a.m, LOL. There is a prologue to the story in which this mysterious character, referred to as "the initiate" is introduced. The guy isn't named yet and he already gives me the creeps, LOL.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zandor
Daft Punk

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   17.09.09 16:40

Mary, you are so lucky! Laughing I'm so jealous of you! Unfortunately, I will only read LS on november, when the new book will be released here. grrrrrrrrrmur But I'm excited just to read your comments about the book, keep going reading and telling me about chapters of the book :kissvn8.gif: , I really liked it! cheering

Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   17.09.09 20:40

I have read one book by Jose Saramago and I liked it (although his style with no punctuation of the dialogues is hard for a reader, but i got used to it relatively quickly)... hide8up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zandor
Daft Punk

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   17.09.09 21:23

Titi, J. Saramago is so overated here and boring writer :shoot: , I don't know how you liked his books. He always likes to go to my country and said a lot of b****t about capitalism, liberalism grrrrrrrrrmur and etc...

Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   18.09.09 0:26

Titi....I'd like to suggest a couple of books you may wish to read, all by the same author, Steven Pinker. The first is "The Stuff of Thought: Language As A Window Into Human Thought" and "How The Mind Works." I have read both of these and they are fascinating. This is the same author who, also, has written "Word and Rules: The Ingredients Of Language" and "The Language of Instinct." These latter two I have not read...as yet, LOL, but I intend to simply based on those books I've already read.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   18.09.09 6:42

Mary, thanks for the recommendations! I will look for these books!

Iza, I dont really know about the ideology behind Saramagos books, I just liked the story. I guess he has some shocking ideas in his books (like Blindness) and Im somehow into such shocking stories.

Lately I have read The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks, it is also kinda weird book, you know... Full of cruelty and horror, that is for me...

I also read Ray Bradbury s "Something Wicked Comes This Way" - which was a bit like Stephen Kings books, two young boys are caught by the horrifying circus and the father of one of them has to prove he is brave and good enough to face the evil

And the last book I have read was Death is My Trade by Robert Merle, which is just amazing. Its a biography of Rudolf Höss (one of the main constructor of the concentration camps in Germany), and it is so cold, so icy... It is frightening how someone took the killing of as many people as possible, as a task and how strictly he tried to keep all the deadlines and stuff...

In the meantime Im reading John Steinbecks Russian Journal, illustrated by the pictures of Robert Capa. There is a big Capa-exhibition in Hungary this year, thats why this book was released in Hungarian as well. Capa and Steinbeck went to Russia a few years after the second world war, to see how people live there. It is a very well-written book, witty and interesting, a very enjoyable reading.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zandor
Daft Punk

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   18.09.09 19:01

Titanila, perhaps you don't undestand me, but I've tried to say that everytime he comes here(unfortunately he likes to much travel to Brazil...), he always shows on interviews, not on his books, talking about how bad is the influence of capitalism, liberalism, US for Brazil and lots of bla bla bla. In his point of view Brazil should be like Cuba, a country paradise for him.... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   19.09.09 10:32

Iza hugs I understand you, I just wanted to say that I didnt know anything about Saramago as a person, I just read a book and I found it interesting. I believe you that his views on capitalism and liberalism are stupid...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   19.09.09 13:40

i understand how people are seeing the faults in capitalism. what i don't understand is how come the answer they come up with is communism. ok, capitalism has problems, lets think about them. but how the hell giving up your freedom is helping anybody???
i actually never read any of saramago books. but i never understand how smart people can really like the regime in cuba. i mean i also heard garcia marques saying he admires castro.
it just puzzles me to no end.
i most definitely don't dig america's policy at least not under bush. but just because i don't like america's state people i have to go all happy about cuba???

ok, sorry i got pissed.

titi, i really feel like reading a good horror book!!!

as to people who take killing as a job, we also have in romania some good movies and books about this. about the people that tortured other people during the communist regime. it's a little frightening to see/read about this kind of people.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   19.09.09 16:57

Titi....When you are able you should get a copy of Dan Brown's "The Lost Symol." It has all the qualities of a good horror story even though it is not in that genry. The plot moves along at a fairly fast clip and it has a truly diabolical character who is after the ultimate in personal power, and lets nothing stand in his way of achieving that goal. He tortures both the body and mind of his victims. So far I haven't been able to put the book down for long, LOL. While it is that good, there are a couple of issues I have with the way he's crafted the story; they are too involved to explain, here, sufface to say they've ruined some of the story for me. The story is still intriguing and enjoyable, however. I just feel it would be even more so had he not taken certain liberties in believability, but that's just me, LOL.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   21.09.09 20:23

To those people contemplating buying "The Lost Symbol," stop contemplating and buy the book. It is worth every penny you'll pay for it! It's got an ultra diabolical villain, multiple main characters, a parallel plot, at least one gross murder (so far--I'm currently on chapter 39), maximum suspense, horror and anxiety to the nth degree, and characters you can identify with and care about, immediately. What more could you want in a book you can't put down?! LOL

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zandor
Daft Punk

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   21.09.09 20:33

Mary, I've can't wait for november comes and the book realising here! I guess I'll read it the same day I buy it. I always want to to know who is the villain, so sometimes is so painfull to me just to wait to the end and know the villain's name. In this book, you already know the name of the villain or the surprised stills up to the end?

Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   21.09.09 21:11

Isa....The villain is the guy you meet on page one! Name is Mal'akh. Seriously bad dude, too, as you discover. I doubt you'll finish the book in one day; it's just over 500 pages. Some of the scenes are so intense or jarring that you need to take a break from the action. affraid

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   

Back to top Go down

Reading thread - recommend books here!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 8 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Miscellaneous :: Anything/ Discussion divers hors patinage-
Jump to: