View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
zandor
Daft Punk

Number of posts : 2942
Registration date : 2006-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   21.09.09 21:40

Mary, thanks for sharing some books news and keep going telling me about it! :super:

Irina, unfortunately in south america there is a big wave in favour of a ridiculous idolatry of Che Guevara and Fidel Castro...Have you heard about Hugo crazy Chavez(Venezuela), Evo indian dumb ass Morales(Bolivia), Rafael Correa(Equador)? grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr They are the three stooges, who protected Cuba, Farc's terrorists, complaining against jornalists, freedom speach and etc. They said that support democracy but, in fact, they have their own vision about how democracy could be forever of them. Their favorite joke/talk is to blame for everything in the world is US fault and sometimes even saying very bad words about them. Even Lula, who is Brazil's president, and Kirchner couple(president and ex president of Argntina) are not reliable... Of course they know about tortured and crimes made at comunism times, but they share the same point of view that in the name of poverty they can do whatever they want to stay in governemt just "to protect" the poor little peolpe...In other hand, most of people there likes to receive everything without pay from the government even if they have to pay with their own freedom because in their view only middle class and rich has freedom :shoot: ...Than you have lots and lots of populism there...With the crisis, Brazil come much stronger and protected the alliance with such a stupid three stooges... grrrrrrrrrmur

irina_something
SOS d'un terrien en detresse

Number of posts : 4437
Registration date : 2006-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   21.09.09 23:46

iza, from what you're saying many people from brazil are a lot like people from romania.
here also lots of people are willing to give up their freedom for things.
" In other hand, most of people there likes to receive everything without pay from the government even if they have to pay with their own freedom because in their view only middle class and rich has freedom "
what you said here is scarily accurate for romania too. and populism is big here also.
and of course i heard of the those you call 3 stooges. they scare me.

we have elections coming up very soon in romania and i am so sad that i have no real good choice. and even what looks like a better choice doesn't seem to have the support that the really bad choices have. Sad

well, i know capitalism is flawed , very flawed. but dam it i have lived in communism and i know for a fact it is not the answer.

and just to be on topic, the book i am reading makes me really depressed.
TITI, did you enjoyed the possibility of an island in the end? i mean enjoy as in find it a good book because it is getting me very depressed and i considering not finishing it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

Number of posts : 2023
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   22.09.09 0:55

off topic, I know, LOL
irina wrote:
Quote :
well, i know capitalism is flawed , very flawed.
There is no government system that is anywhere near perfection. Capitalism, while it has certain problems, is not as flawed as many people think it is. If you want a flawed government system, look at the Putin-Medvedev mess. That is the perfect example of a flawed system.

on topic

Okay, Irina, I'm curious, why would you read a book which makes you depressed? LOL I can't think of a worse activity. Did you realize when you started it that it would have this effect on you?

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   22.09.09 10:34

mary i took the book because the idea seems interesting. and actually it really is interesting. but the author's views of life are so dark, he has no hope for human kind, at least not as far as i have read.
but i would read depressing books in case they turn out to be smart depressing.

i think one of the most depressing books i ever read was " on the verge of desperation " by emil cioran. he is a romanian writer who fled in france during the communist years. at one point he was thinking about this " nice " idea : how do you know that when we die we go to hell? how do you know that earth is not the hell for others planets??? and many more "refreshing" ideas like this one. but it is written in a very smart way, so getting depressed is the price you have to pay for reading it.

or has anyone read " point counter point " by aldous huxley? smart but yet again depressing.

the problem is i was a lot better at getting depressed when i was younger. i was enjoying it more. now i find it more difficult to read this kind of books, so this is why i was asking titi
what she thought about it in the end.

mary, don't worry i am not comparing capitalism with a system like the one putin cooked up, because obviously capitalism wins with flying colors. i try to think about it separately from others systems, but obviously so far is the one that seems to work best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

Number of posts : 3974

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   23.09.09 9:12

Irina, I liked the book till the end - I somehow love depressing books. When Im really stressed and/or sad, I need to read something incredibly depressing. Chic-lit never gave me any relief, but the toughest books do. Somehow.

However, I cant read about torturing people during communism. This is probably the only topic when Im not able to continue reading, because I know it is true, it isnt just a fiction, and I know that it could have happened also to me, if I was born a few decades earlier. Those sophisticated ways of causing pain... This makes me to vomit. (Literally.) When I was in Budapest in the House of Terror, I had to struggle a lot not to throw up when going through the prisons...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   23.09.09 10:21

titi, i know what you mean. i am also not into reading about torture. but yet, i did read some journals of very smart people that were incarcerated during communist years and it made me feel so scared, really. and when i hear idiots today going on and on about life was better then, i feel like slapping them and sometimes i really snap. i don't slap them but do kind of yell.

what does fell under the category of chic-lit??? i think i read some. like jane austen. i mean, yes, it's silly as a plot and it's easy but it has some smart dialogues and it makes me feel better. and also i think " bridget jones's diary " is chic-lit, but hey it was funny. when it comes to light literature sometimes i like a silly horror book.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   23.09.09 19:37

Irina...I can provide you with a summary of what chick-lit (or chic-lit) is. I've written a little bit of it (nothing published, though). It's target reader is between 20 and 35 in age. The books have female protaganists (usually, although I've seen a couple novels with male protags). They are hip, career-driven characters, obsessed with their appearance and passionate about shopping, clothes, shoes, etc., LOL. The stories are set in urban environments. The plots follow the protagonist's life, loves, and struggles for professional success. The style of writing is sassy and irreverant, with the use of frank sexual themes. There's a lot of slang and cliche' used in the writing. Humor is commonly used, as well.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   23.09.09 19:49

thank you marry !!!
hmm, " career-driven characters, obsessed with their appearance and passionate about shopping, clothes, shoes", this sounds bad to me. i never understood shopping. but " style of writing is sassy and irreverent, with the use of frank sexual themes" sounds good to me.
mary any titles you may know of???

as for my depressing book. i decided to start reading one more book. this time it's " black dogs " by ian mcewan. i really like this book so far. so i alternate between them so this way i can enjoy myself more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   24.09.09 21:29

Irina...Here's a good site for you to look at to explore the world of chic-lit books:
http://www.chicklitclub.com/ It provides synopses of quite a few of the current books which are available, as well as the authors.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   25.09.09 13:20

thank you mary !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   06.10.09 19:12

so i did not ever finished my depressing book but i did finish 2 others.
" black dogs " by ian mcewan and " terorist " by john updike, both books a little too flawed to make me go " wow " but good enough to really make me think about some issues.
black dogs it's about the evil the is dormant in the humanity and that you never know when it will resurface.
and " terorist " is an interesting portrayal of a young man of good intentions gone bad due to, well, not even bad parenting, but not very involved parenting and the lack of morals of the society around us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   02.11.09 18:57

i read this booked called " the girl with the oranges " by jostein gardeer. it's not a very complicated book and it has a good feeling in it and i quite liked the ending.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   14.12.09 20:36

so nobody read anything lately??? at least this makes me feel less lazy Razz

but i discovered a very cool magazine about books.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   14.12.09 21:22

Quote :
so nobody read anything lately???
Not reading, but I am writing, LOL. Working on the first draft of a novel I hope to get published.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   15.12.09 12:44

I have read a few books and will tell you about them when I return from lunch bounce_blue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheena

Number of posts : 5583

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   15.12.09 14:37

irina_something wrote:
so nobody read anything lately??? at least this makes me feel less lazy Razz

I'm always reading, but I seem to have less time these days - or else I'm less organised!

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Queeni
Love's divine

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2009-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   15.12.09 15:15

Did anyone ever recommend Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series here?
I just loooove her books and I hope that Santa will bring me the newest book which has quite recently been published here in Germany Very Happy
There are currently seven books plus some of a Lord John series, that kind of developed out of the original Outlander series. All books mainly play in the past (while beeing historically correct) and contain everything from romance to war. It's hard to describe them and I don't want to spoil the story, so all I can say is that I can highly recomment them Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   15.12.09 16:01

I have read two books recently. First was "Blessed Child" by Linn Ullmann. It is a perfect book about how cruel children can be, how they can suffer cruelty without any regrets and how they seem totally careless about the others, how they suffer from anxiety, how they try to forget the dark past... I love "nordic" literature, because they write so truthfully about emotions without any pity or sentimentalism. I like this style a lot, the book totally caught me, I highly reccommend it.
(A review here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/09/AR2008120903056.html)

The second book was The Hunger Games by Susanne Collins. Ive read a few reviews on it and I thought I would like the story, set in the future, where young children chosen by lottery are forced to take part in a reality show where they have to kill each other until just one remains. (Yeah, I love cruel stories.) I was looking forward to a drama, parents forced to see their children to kill or die, children forced to grow up in a minute and to fight as hard as they can... Instead of this i got kind of an action movie, and ROMANCE, in such a teenage way that the only thing that made me to finish the book was the hope that the author will be brave enough to avoid happy-end, but of course she wasnt. Lucky thing is that the guy is the more emotional and the girl is the tough one, at least. And at the end i found out this is part of a series, but i dont think i will by the next books. Anyway, for once it wasnt bad, something like a B-category action movie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   15.12.09 20:26

titi, i like what you say about the first book. i look around for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ekaterina
Lord of the Dance

Number of posts : 1935

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   17.12.09 16:59

I've recently read this book 'The Solitude of Prime Numbers' by Paolo Giordano. It's a really great book about two people, a man and a woman. They both had traumatic childhood experiences which affected their whole lives. The man's twin sister is believed to have drowned, and Mattia is consumed with guilt. Eventually, he finds escape in mathematics. The woman, Alice, hates her father who she blames for a mountain ski accident which left her limping and starves herself to almost death. Ever since she saw Mattia for the first time, she knows that Mattia is her soulmate, they are meant to be together. Soon they become friends... or something more, it's just Mattia is so introverted. He only has to realize, and everything will fall into place, they will be happy, Alice knows that and she is all set to wait. What Alice doesn't know is that Mattia will choose mathematics over her, fly off to another country to do his research, and she'll have to marry another guy. As the years pass, Mattia and Alice bump into each other on a few occasions, but each time they draw apart, like two parallel lines, which always come together, but never exactly cross.
I'd strongly recommend this book to anyone who loves Marquez's 'One Hundred Years of Solitude'. Both books are about solitude, and traumas which affect people's future, and finding the right person... Dark, sad, but also beautiful.

Last edited by Ekaterina on 06.03.10 19:23; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   18.12.09 20:25

Rina, I also read that book a few months ago!!! I loved it too!

(Im always so happy when I discover that someone hundreds of miles away has read the same book and thinks the same about it!!!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roosje
The Mission

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   06.03.10 13:01

Ekaterina wrote:
I've recently read this book 'The Solitude of Prime Numbers' by Paolo Giordano. It's a really great book about two people, a man and a woman. They both had traumatic childhood experiences which affected their whole lives. The man's twin sister is believed to have drowned, and Mattia is consumed with guilt. Eventually, he finds escape in mathematics. The woman, Alice, is hates her father who she blames for a mountain ski accident which left her limping and starves herself to almost death. Ever since she saw Mattia for the first time, she knows that Mattia is her soulmate, they are meant to be together. Soon they become friends... or something more, it's just Mattia is so introverted. He only has to realize, and everything will fall into place, they will be happy, Alice knows that and she is all set to wait. What Alice doesn't know is that Mattia will choose mathematics over her, fly off to another country to do his research, and she'll have to marry another guy. As the years pass, Mattia and Alice bump into each other on a few occasions, but each time they draw apart, like two parallel lines, which always come together, but never exactly cross.
I'd strongly recommend this book to anyone who loves Marquez's 'One Hundred Years of Solitude'. Both books are about solitude, and traumas which affect people's future, and finding the right person... Dark, sad, but also beautiful.

The ending was so...I dunno, it just left me feeling more depressive than I already did...still, it's the kind of book you just can't put down once you start it.

One of my favourites is Brida by Paulo Coelho...it's about a girl's spiritual quest. It's rather different from your ordinary novel, but it left me feeling so serene, happy and peaceful that I like to recommend it to all of you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   09.03.10 20:34

i read lately " the genius and the goddess " by aldous huxley. it's an easy to read book but it is a pleasant read and has lots of true ideas in it. i liked it a lot.

and also i read " juliet, naked " by nick hornby. well, i did read bettter books written by him but is was stil fun to read.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   16.03.10 13:46

I read a great book yesterday, by Andreas Eschbach: The Carpet Makers.

I like science-fiction a lot but the ones Ive read lately seemed so uselessly long and at certain places i was bored by them. However, it couldnt happen with this book because its more like a collection of short stories, of which each one shows another part of this strange society from another angle of another character.

The Carpet Makers are a different caste in the far future, who make a carpet from their wives and daughters hairs during their life. The money they get for the carpet is enough for their son to live for their all life, while they make their own carpet, and the money they get for it will go to their son etc. The carpets are made (at least thats what the carpet makers think) to decorate the big palace of the Immortal Emperor.

Here is a review of the book: http://www.bewilderingstories.com/issue143/carpet_makers_rev.html

This is a dark book. Quite depressive, mainly when you discover why it was all made. But its a very enjoyable reading and it focuses on the people, not on the technology. (In this way Im not a traditional sci-fi reader because Im not interested in the technology. And Im not really interested in a certain person, thats why I didnt miss any main character at all. Im interested in the society, and I got a brilliantly captured society in this book.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sevda
Ces soirées-là

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2007-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   16.03.10 13:55

thanks titi Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   

Back to top Go down

Reading thread - recommend books here!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Miscellaneous :: Anything/ Discussion divers hors patinage-
Jump to: