View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Sheena

Number of posts : 5583
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   16.03.10 19:36

Titanilla wrote:

(In this way Im not a traditional sci-fi reader because Im not interested in the technology. And Im not really interested in a certain person, thats why I didnt miss any main character at all. Im interested in the society, and I got a brilliantly captured society in this book.)

Do you ever read Anne McCaffrey? Personally I like her "Pern" books - lots of people & dragons etc set in outer space!!

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

Number of posts : 3974

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   01.06.10 16:51

I try to resuscite this thread, LOL. I have just read Rules of Attraction by Bret Easton Ellis. I have heard a lot of Ellis and especially his American Psycho, but even though Im not against brutal books, somehow I didnt feel like reading American Psycho. However, my boss recommended me Rules of Attraction, saying it is also a great book and not so sadist and pervert. As he was so kind to lend me the book, I read it immediately. I loved the structure o the book, because you see the things from different angles. You realize how differently can people see the same moment. The plot is set at a college where students take drugs, drink a lot and have sex with everyone - their life is so empty. Still, I loved the book, its style - it was very thought-evoking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

Number of posts : 2023

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   02.09.10 22:37

Finally, I finished reading Ken Follet's, "The Pillars of Earth." It's a long book, lol, and Ken Follet is now one of my new favorite authors. In the past I haven't really been into historical fiction but this book was different because it had compelling characters, each of whom had multi-layered motivations for the things they did in the story. All in all, it was a very involved/complex plot. However the thing which really enticed me to keep reading was the author's level of expertise in regard to all the many research facets he had to amass to write the story. He knew his subject matter so well that he could go into incredible detail about the daily lives of the story's inhabitants and interweave it seamlessly into the story as it progressed. He succeeded in making that story set so long ago into a real place with real people and real situations.

Now I'm reading the sequel to the book; it's titled, "World Without End, another one thousand-plus page read. I also bought a copy of "Whiteout." I'm really hooked on Ken Follet's work, LOL, if you couldn't already tell that. Wink

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   24.09.10 22:23

I, finally, finished "World Without End"; it's another thousand pager, lol. I didn't think it was quite as riveting as "Pilars of the Earth" but it certainly was as long. By the time it got to the resolution of the story the whole thing was becoming a bit too drawn out but I had to stay with it to see the evil character, Ralph, get what was coming to him and to find out which character did him in...although I had a suspicion about who it would be, lol.

This morning I started "Whiteout" (same author). This one is set in modern times and is a medical thriller dealing with unstoppable killer viruses and security leaks in a research facility.

I always thought I went overboard doing mounds of research for my own novels but Ken Follet's research is way more involved than my own, although he uses professional researchers to do his stuff. I'm too poor to hire that kind of assistance, LOL, so I do my own.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something
SOS d'un terrien en detresse

Number of posts : 4437
Registration date : 2006-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   05.10.10 20:40

i am in a reading gap. i feel like reading and i started to read about 2 books but i did not manage to get into them.
i need some inspiration. what to read? i would like to read something not retarded because i already spend a lot of my time doing completely retarded things ( like watching all 5 seasons of supernatural in less then a month ). so i need something to bring my iq back up Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   05.10.10 20:58

Irina....What was wrong with the two books you started to read but they didn't hook you? (I'm not trying to highjack Titi's thread, here...really I'm not, lol). As a writer, myself, I'm curious to discover why the stories weren't crafted well enough to make you want to continue to the ends of them. Weren't the characters interesting or did the author spend too much time explaining stuff or did the plot not move fast enough to interest you?

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   06.10.10 1:26

oh well, it's weird because i don't even know very well why i don't feel these 2 books.
1 one is by will self and is called " how the dead live ". i really liked the beginning where the main character is already dead and we are presented with a very funny version of the afterlife. dead people are just like the live ones only they have to move to the outskirts of london, you can't live downtown now that you're dead but you still have to have a job because being dead it's not a profession.
but then we move on to the story of how the main character died and her life shorty before dieing . and i get all the sarcasm but it's just too much, the way the people involved just don't care about each other. so in order to continue reading i would like to know in advance that the writer will eventually have a point. and since i can't know that, i stooped.

and the other book is by henry james " the awkward age ". i started reading it because i like " portrait of a lady " al ot. but foe some reason this one does not stick to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   06.10.10 9:35

Irina, I have read a lot these days - so maybe there will be something which catches your attention.

Mary Westmacott (this is a pseudonym for Agatha Christie!): Absent in the spring - it is not a crime story, not at all! It is about a totally disciplined English lady who is travelling back from her daughter from an Arabic country back to England and she is stuck in the middle of the desert because the train is not arriving. She has to spend a few days in a little hotel only with two staff members, so she is left alone with her thoughts... And discovers a lot about her life which she always thought was perfect...

Marina & Sergei Dyachenko: Vita Nostra - this book is kind of... craz.y. Or sick. Or... I dont know. It is hard to describe it - its about a girl Alexandra who is chosen to go to a very tough university for talented people. She has no choice, she has to go, because otherwise something horrible will happen to her beloved ones. The students in this uni dont really know why are they there and what are they studying, but there is also some metaphysical meaning in it... It is a really strange book, but I had to read it all during one night because I was so curious...

Linn Ullmann: Grace - I havent finished this yet, but I like it a lot. Have read Linn Ullmanns Blessed child previously and this is written in a same style. It is about an old guy who is going to die soon, he is very sick and he knows there is not a lot of time left. He asks his wife to help him to die, when his pain becomes unbearable, because he doesnt want to die "smelling by excrements". His wife is a doctor, so she could help him... but will she? (I dont know it myself yet!)

Agota Krystof: The notebook - this is really short but really impressive. The writer has Hungarian origins but emigrated after the revolution in 1956 to France, the book was originally written in French. It is about two twins, who are sent to their strange grandma to survive the war in a small town, because the Big Town (obviously Budapest) is bombarded. The grandma is strict, the life there is so tough so the twins decided to strengthen their body and soul, in order to be able to bear any pain. In the end, after their various "excercises" (like repeating the words "i love you" to each other as long as their finally lose their meaning) they become totally emotionless. They write about all their experiences in "the notebook", and this totally emotionless report about such a cruel time is a very impressive reading.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   10.10.10 15:29

Im reading the book by Natascha Kampusch now, the girl who was kidnapped in 1998 and spent 8 years in a cellar room of her kidnapper when she finally managed to escape. You have surely heard of her, it was a big story on the news.

Her autobiography is very interesting. Its admirable how she managed to survive in her small prison, how she didnt lose her mind and so on. But the book tells a lot also about the relationship between parent-child. Natascha writes she could adapt to her kidnappers life because as a child she was used to not being able to change anything. She refuses that she might have "Stockholm Syndrome" and says: many children can be accused of Stockholm Syndrome because they often get only rudeness from their parents and they still love them. Really, really interesting reading...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yulie
Blue Man Group

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2010-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   10.10.10 17:54

Blue Bead wrote:
I always thought I went overboard doing mounds of research for my own novels but Ken Follet's research is way more involved than my own, although he uses professional researchers to do his stuff. I'm too poor to hire that kind of assistance, LOL, so I do my own.
I'm a bit late here, but Mary, if you're still up for some well-researched historical fiction with a large page count, check out Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series (which Titi recommended last year, I see) and Dorothy Dunnett's books. The amount of research Dunnett must have done to ensure that her books would be historically accurate just defies belief. I know most people like the Lymond Chronicles best (starting with The Game of Kings) but I prefer the House of Niccolo series (starting with Niccolo Rising).

I'm not reading anything right now - still waiting on my latest Book Depository order to arrive!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blue Bead
vip

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   10.10.10 20:23

Thanks for the suggestion, Yulie. At the moment (and for the next 6 weeks or so) the only reading I'll be doing is of my own novel manuscript. As I've done for the last 6 years I'm participating in National Novel Writing Month during the month of November. Essentially it's a writing challenge to create a 50,000 word novel in 30 days or less. Here's the website: http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node. Currently I'm buried in research, lol, and there's a ton of it, yet, to do.

Mary C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   09.01.11 1:23

"possesion " - by A.S. BYATT - it's a very peculiar book in the way it goes about its subject. it has more than one layer and follow characters from 2 different eras and i am not reading it easily even if i like it. but i am so curious as to the end.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lin
Love's divine

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2011-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   29.01.11 13:51

I recommend Danny Scheinmann "Random acts of heroic love". I liked it, really touching. Two different stories, but at the same time related together SmileSmile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   29.01.11 20:27

hi lin. i never heard of that book. can you tell me something more about it?

i finished the book i mentioned in my last post and i loved it. and now i am reading something easier and fun and of course crazy , " timequake " by kurt vonnegut.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lin
Love's divine

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2011-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   29.01.11 23:34

Random Acts of Heroic Love is a novel with two intertwining threads.
The first, set now, is the story of a man coming to terms with the loss of his girlfriend in a road accident in which he was present but about which he can remember nothing.
The second is based on the true story of Danny Scheinmann's grandfather who fought for the Austro-Hungarian army in WWI and was captured by the Russians in 1915. He was sent to a camp in Siberia. Kept alive by his love for a girl he hardly knew, he escaped in 1917 and spent three years walking back home across Russia through deathly winters, through war and revolution until eventually he made it back to his village.

If you want to know whether he finds her and how these two threads come together then read a book. I liked it!

Well at the moment I'm not reading anything Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Malgosia
vip

Number of posts : 3247

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   05.02.11 20:01

I'm going through "reading travel books" phase. Just borrowed "Around the World in 80 days" by Michael Palin (yeah - he is Monty Python guy) from the library.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mba83
Lord of the Dance

Number of posts : 1898
Registration date : 2008-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   26.03.11 8:52

Hi Girls!!! Today I want to recomended my book Embarassed - Wszystkie drogi prowadz± do Julki - what is mean - All roads goes to Julia

I wrote it last year and finally I found the edditor. Razz of course It will be in polish Wink and it will be on sale near June (I hope so Suspect )

There is a story of girl named Julia who is going to Milano and starts larning Fashion Design - she meets many people have many adventures, all the time changed her opinion of life, search the best way fo living, and of course had romance. But what is the most important she is helping other friends in Italy and Poland. She had a close friend in Poland named Veronique - and she is a FIGURE SKATER LOL. I couldn't refrain to put big story of figure skating Smile LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheena

Number of posts : 5583

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   26.03.11 15:25

You are to be a published author Katherine? - Congratulations!!

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
missviolet
Love's divine

Number of posts : 243
Registration date : 2010-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   26.03.11 15:38

Wow, thats great! pitty that i dont understand polish! Crying or Very sad
maybe you could give us later a link to see how your book looks like? i think its great accomplishment, its not easy to find editor - at least in my country because its quite small.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Malgosia
vip

Number of posts : 3247

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   26.03.11 18:52

wow! I can't wait to read it. Sounds like a wonderful story!

Gratulacje!! Manga49
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mba83
Lord of the Dance

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   27.03.11 8:52

THX Girls!!! Embarassed In Poland it is very difficulte to find a company who is interested in publishing books. So I couldn't belive when I recived an accepting
The same is with reading books but today I'm happy that my book will be publishing no metter how many books it will be sold LOL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   27.03.11 12:56

Wow, congratulations, this is a great accomplishment!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
quintia
Matrix

Number of posts : 3229

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   27.03.11 13:38

Congrats Katherine!!!! Smile

I'm currently reading "Unfamiliar Fishes" by Sarah Vowell about the history of US missionaries in Hawaii and how it lead to the annexation of Hawaii in 1898. It's very good so far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mba83
Lord of the Dance

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   29.03.11 15:00

Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   29.03.11 22:15

mba83 wrote:
THX Girls Smile

my book
http://zaczytani.pl/ksiazka/wszystkie_drogi_prowadza_do_julki,druk

wow, congrats !!! it is indeed a great accomplishment to find a publisher !!! i wish you great feedback for your book and future support if you choose to pursue a carrier as a writer, which is a very hard one, i am sure. manga38 Manga49 darkgigotlevrai
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   

Back to top Go down

Reading thread - recommend books here!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 10 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Miscellaneous :: Anything/ Discussion divers hors patinage-
Jump to: