View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
evazone
Love's divine

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2006-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   15.01.07 21:39

My favourite writer is Isabelle Aliente and my fave book of hers is The House Of The Spirits. I've read it more than 10 times!
I also like Lord of the rings though, I haven't completed the trilogy, yet. I'll start reading the Two Towers after I finish Oscar Wilde's De Profundis.
Btw, thank you, Titi, for opening this thread! :Merci2:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

Number of posts : 3974
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   20.01.07 10:45

Im sorry that i neglected this thread for a while! Thank you all for response! hugs

As for Wunthering Heights, well, i wasnt that impressed with it... I dont know why, maybe i was too young (and totally indifferent in love) when i read it. However, i adored Jane Eyre!!!

I always wanted to read Potrait of Dorian Grey, but have never found it in the library.

Btw, I also loved to read Stephen Kings fictions!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skyzthelynnit
vip

Number of posts : 1865
Registration date : 2006-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   20.01.07 17:36

Great idea for a topic Titi! I love reading, so any recommendations for a great read are appreciated. Three books that are always on my top 3 list for "must reads" are The Da Vinci Code, I know this much is true by Wally Lamb, and The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve. They are all pretty deep books.. many of you have probably already read the Da Vinci code but the other two are complete tear-jerkers. Get some tissues as Mary C. said! lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gislaine
The Boss

Number of posts : 13310
Registration date : 2006-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   20.01.07 18:46

Great topic ,thanks Titi!
I like , The Da Vinci code ,Harry Potter ,Le seigneur des Anneaux.

Gislaine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rach
vip

Number of posts : 2458
Registration date : 2006-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   21.01.07 17:03

MAMOUNA38 wrote:
Great topic ,thanks Titi!
I like , The Da Vinci code ,Harry Potter ,Le seigneur des Anneaux.

Idem ! Razz Pour ma part j'aime bien les Harry Potter, mais ma mère, elle, est tout à fait dingue de cette sèrie !

Me too! For what it's worth, I do like Harry Potter, but my mother is a fanatic! Laughing

I love mostly science fiction and fantasy, as I tend to write in these genres as well. In effect, if it has elves or space-ships in it, I'll read it! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zandor
Daft Punk

Number of posts : 2942
Registration date : 2006-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   21.01.07 17:29

My favorite author is Jane Austen , I read many times Pride and Prejudice and always love it. Maybe that is the reason of my cheer this year for Sarah Meier LP...
Adelina
SOS d'un terrien en detresse

Number of posts : 4654
Registration date : 2006-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   21.01.07 18:55

Izadora hugs Jane Austen is one my favorites writers too.
And Pride and Prejudice is the best.I like very much Emma too,but PP is very beautiful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leni
Matrix

Number of posts : 3121
Registration date : 2006-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   22.01.07 16:34

Izadora,we have this in common dance ! I love Jane Austen! :super: :love-love:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
evazone
Love's divine

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2006-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   25.01.07 22:53

Titi, I haven't read any of Stephen King's books, yet but I absolutely adore some of the movies that are based on his novels, like The Shawshank Redemption (dunno if I spelled it correctly Embarassed ), Hearts in Atlantis or The Green Mile. While of course there are others like The Langoliars or Dreamcatcher, which are kinda ridiculous but I've been told that they are good enough as books.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skyzthelynnit
vip

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   02.08.07 3:55

Irina requested this topic be opened back up and I couldn't agree more cheers I just finished Samantha Brown's "Alibi" and it was a quick and great read.. What about you guys? :study2:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cravey
Matrix

Number of posts : 3023

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   02.08.07 6:56

Ladies, for those who love and adore romantic stuff I recommend to read books from Judith McNaught!!! youpi youpi youpi
Last summer Amina ( bloona) sent me "Whitney my love" from McNaught, it had about 500 pages and I finished the book in two days lol! ( and till that I hadn't been able to read a book who had 200 pages in about half a year )
From my side I recommend to read "Perfect" and also "Almost heaven" but "Whitney, my love" is the best one and also my favourite!!!! Those books have everything in them, you can cry, you can laugh, and droll about the main men :naughty15kz:
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dailslidosanalv.ucoz.com/
peirsolgirl
Lord of the Dance

Number of posts : 1739
Registration date : 2006-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   02.08.07 9:47

Right now I'm reading " The Catcher in the Rye " by J D Salinger.Oh well, I know I should have read this earlier , but lately I have been too busy with my exams and didn't have too much time for reading... hide8up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ekaterina
Lord of the Dance

Number of posts : 1935

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   02.08.07 15:05

Alex, do you like it? I was merely forced to read it as a first year Rolling Eyes I didn't like it at all, but somehow was crying in the end...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

Number of posts : 4437
Registration date : 2006-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   02.08.07 22:36

dear lynn, thank you so much!!!!!

i love " cather in the rye ". sometimes i am against things that are too popular in america ( silly european ego ) so i was like let's see what all the fuss is about. i fell in love with the book right from the start. and i realized something very sad, even if i wished all through the book to be able to rescue holden if in real life i would meet someone like him i wouldn't recognize it. i mean i wouldn't probably be able to get past the bullshit and see the real person within. that's why i was crying like crazy at the end.

the reason i wanted the book thread was the i strated to read doctor faustus by thomas mann. i sort of know what's the story but the book turned out to be very diferent from what i expected. but i find the way mann writes to be pretty hard to read and my library pass expired ( twice ) and i have to take to book back leave it there for a while and then take it again.
did anybody else read it???? what did you thought???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
peirsolgirl
Lord of the Dance

Number of posts : 1739
Registration date : 2006-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   03.08.07 14:43

Ekaterina wrote:
Alex, do you like it? I was merely forced to read it as a first year Rolling Eyes I didn't like it at all, but somehow was crying in the end...

Well, i heard a lot of people praising it so I thought it would be different.I can't say it was bad, but i've read books that were far better
Maybe John Fowles's 'The Collector" will be better Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ekaterina
Lord of the Dance

Number of posts : 1935

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   04.08.07 1:02

The Collector's a masterpiece.. When you don't know whether you liked it or not... You just realize that you've just read something great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Soleija
The Mission

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2007-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   04.08.07 23:09

Hi girls, I also love to read!
So I think I could give some suggestions, too!

Firts of all, I just finished the trilogy "Black Magician's Guild" by Trudy Canavan. The three books were breathtaking and really drew me in! I read each book in one day, it they each had more than 500 pages!
So, if you like fantasyeven though it's without elves this time, you should read it, it's quite enjoyable and nothing is what it seems in this book!

Second there is a masterpiece by a Spanish author, Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I am not sure about the English title, the German one was Shadow of the wind.
It's a story about a story in the story itself. It has elements of David Copperfield, just as of your average criminalistic novel.
One day young Daniel is taked to the cemetary of books, where he will chose a book he from there on will be responsible for. He choses "Shadow of the wind" by an unknown author named Carax. Daniel reads the book and while he gets older, he finds out more about the mysterious author and his destiny and why the man that represents the devil in Carax` stories somehow is now after him in the real world.
As you can see it's quite a complex and catching story! I'm not even able to give a better summary because it's late and I'm extremely tired- but still, I highly recommend this book.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

Number of posts : 3974

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   05.08.07 11:08

These days im finding inspiration and hope in books of Sándor Márai.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skyzthelynnit
vip

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   06.08.07 18:22

I am reading "The Law of Attraction". Just curious.. has anyone read or heard about this book?
website
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Malgosia
vip

Number of posts : 3247

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   06.08.07 19:05

I got a phone call from my friendly library today (I've been a member there for 15 years LOL) that Zadie Smith's novel "On beauty" is waiting there for me. I was looking forward to getting this book since 2 months so I'm pretty excited now and can't wait to have it in my hands!! I already read her "White teeth" and "The autograph Man" so I'm hoping I won't be disappointed with her latest novel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
crazymanu
Daft Punk

Number of posts : 2451

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   07.08.07 20:15

At the moment I'm reading "Lisey's story" by Sthephen King... I really like this author too Titi!
During holiday I read again "Pride and prejudice" and I agree with the girls that find it very good!
Always during holidays i read also "Slugs" by Shaun Hutson Suspect , it's about killer slugs, i only suggest to read it if you are in the mood for some silly, light "horror" affraid
And at the moment I'm also reading Brian's book, in french, I understand 1 word on 3 but I think I can make out the general sense Drapeau
Manu
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   07.08.07 21:07

alex, let me know what you think of the collector. i did not know anything about the book before i read it and i was not expecting any of what happens in the book, but i like it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
quintia
Matrix

Number of posts : 3229

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   07.08.07 21:37

This may not interest you ladies, but I read the first two parts of a trilogy called "Legions of Fire", which is based on the television series Babylon 5. It's basically about a resistance movement that one of the characters from series leads in order to free his world from darkness. My summary must sound terrible, but it really is very good. Smile

The only problem is the third book in the trilogy is out of print. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Now I don't know what happens!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   07.08.07 22:06

you can look on the internet, maybe someone is selling an already used one. best of luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
quintia
Matrix

Number of posts : 3229

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   07.08.07 23:53

Thanks Irina. Smile I have looked on several sites and found used copies, but they are quite expensive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   

Back to top Go down

Reading thread - recommend books here!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Miscellaneous :: Anything/ Discussion divers hors patinage-
Jump to: