View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

Number of posts : 3974
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   27.12.07 18:56

Irina, i read that book two weeks ago! (Another common thing with us two!) I liked it a lot. I read it all at once, and was deeply touched by it. I was thinking about it for more days, and i realized once again that i have to tell everyone what i think, what im afraid of or so...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something
SOS d'un terrien en detresse

Number of posts : 4437
Registration date : 2006-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   27.12.07 23:30

titi, i am glad to talk to someone else who read the book. i kept asking myself after i read it why was she so appalled by the idea of physical closeness. i got this vibe that maybe her father did something to her on that boat trip.
anyway, talking about things is always the best choice. if you talk about anything, doesn't matter how horrible it seems to be , you will discover that at least one other person has gone through what you're going through and can at least tell you you are not alone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JulesKelly
Caruso

Number of posts : 386
Registration date : 2007-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   28.12.07 3:16

Quote :
i just finished reading " on the chesil beach " by ian mcewan. it's a good book i think. and a sad one. it has a strange topic.

Irina and Titi, I have been considering reading this book for a while now. I read "Atonement," which is also by Ian McEwan, and it was the most depressing book I have ever read. It was a great book, but very, very sad. Based on your recommendations, I think I will finally read it...although I feel like it will end very depressing as well...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   28.12.07 10:20

Oh, Julie, its really a bit depressing book but it can open your eyes as well. You can realize that not talking about things might ruin all your life...
Sometimes i feel here in my family we dont talk enough about the important things. I mean, we discuss various things, but when it comes to the most difficult tasks, we rather stay quiet...And when i try to say something, other people rather change the topic...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   28.12.07 12:04

i read " the cement garden" by the same author. it was a really weird book. it is sad and twisted. but ian mcewan has a great way with words and the book was a good read.

i am planning to watch Atonement since it is in cinemas now and is nominated for the golden globes. but i heard the book is much better then the movie.
julie did you also se the movie or you just read the book????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JulesKelly
Caruso

Number of posts : 386
Registration date : 2007-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   29.12.07 23:46

Irina, I am eagerly waiting for the movie to arrive at a theater near me, but so far, I am out of luck. So, I have only read the book, which is heartbreakingly beautiful. I am a big fan of the director of "Atonement," though, because he also directed "Pride and Prejudice," so I think the movie will also be good. Let me know if you see it and if you liked it.

Titi, I agree that we hardly ever talk about anything important...especially with those closest to us. I do not think my brother and I have ever had a conversation that went past movies that we like. Lol. But I suppose that is how some people prefer life...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   01.01.08 18:53

i finally got to read " breakfast at tiffany's ". it is indeed better then the movie but i am glad i got to see the movie before i read the book so i could enjoy the moviee as well.

now i started reading " miss brodie in her prime". seams a little silly but i just read a few pages!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sandra
Untouchable

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2007-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   01.01.08 19:23

I'm going to start reading a book about Philippe Candeloro "rebelle et fidèle". It has some nice pictures, curious to see what he has to say...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.kevinvanderperren.tk
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   13.01.08 18:27

i finished reading " the family of pascal duarte " by camilo jose cela. it is a very tough book. and it made me think about my own fortune in life and about how some people just have no luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   14.01.08 12:17

Sounds interesting, Irina. Maybe I can find it Hungarian or Slovak or Czech.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   14.01.08 13:43

titi, read about the author first. he had a very full and interesting life and was a very funny person. and then when you read the book you'll be socked by the maturity of it and how you don't see the funny side of the author in the book.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   17.02.08 20:02

I read an interesting book yesterday by Michel Houellebecq: Possibility of an Island. Has any of you read it?
I found it very interesting (Im fond of utopies), but at some parts I thought there is simply too much sex in it. Well, maybe its really the way people think...

By the way, mdr, Im somehow still surprised when I read about sex in books. I dont know why, maybe because i have read many many books from a very young age and not only children books, but still, i dont remember that I had read about sex before. But now, I happen to choose books with some brutal, sometimes pervert sex-parts, which are, in some strange way, interesting and I even understand why the author wanted to shock the readers, but still, when I read those parts, I feel like: OMG, I shouldnt read such books... mdr
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   18.02.08 2:18

Razz funny titi!!!! i think on the contrary because i read some adult books when i was very young now i feel like " oh , another sex thing ".

i did not read the book you mentioned.

but i did read some books. i read some short stories of kundera. i liked them but i think i should read some more before i have a definate opinion about the writer.

i also read short stories of julio cortazar. i liked lots of them but i fell in love with two of them : " you have to be really stupid in order to " and " nights in the ministries of europe ". did anyone read them???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   09.03.08 10:00

I was one week on holidays so i finally had some time for reading.
I have read Orhan Pamuks My name is red - which was very interesting and exciting! (I had loved Pamuks Istanbul so much, so I hoped i would love this story, too.)
The guy in the bookstore (funny friend) recommended me Baricco s Silk and... oh, i was truly impressed. So few words, such a big story. I like this style of writing - not talking too much, but each word having its weight.
And finally, I have read several short stories by Philip K. Dick and I had a great fun reading them. Some years ago I read tons of sci-fis, but somehow neglected this genre for a while and now it was a nice trip "back to future" again. I like how he twistes the endings everytime, and although sometimes its really predictable (as I said, i have read TONS of sci-fis, LOL), but I shouldnt forget that Philip K. Dick was the very first one to write about such things, these short stories come from the 1950s!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
emessse
Time

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2008-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   09.03.08 14:41

hey! i also tried My name is red....but i didn't like it
could you recommend me something 'postmodern'? i have to get into the feeling because in the summer i have an exam of postmodernism Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   09.03.08 15:14

titi , i also read some of barico's books and loved them. and i read silk and was really impressed too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   11.03.08 13:37

Irina, did you also read Novecento? I read it yesterday and ... didnt really like it. I mean - Silk was absolutely the style I love - story about big emotions without being distractingly emotional. Novecento is different (it has to be, its a monologue), but somehow this story was --- too.... Too tale-ish. Silk might have happened. Novecento is a fairy tale. And as far as I dont mind sad stories, if they are real, i hate when tales are spoilt by a sad ending. Maybe its only me, but i found the ending very sad - it almost made me cry, to my biggest surprise. I closed the book, looked around and thought: great that my roommates are here otherwise I would start crying.

(And, maybe, Im just going through a difficult situation. Acting tough and strong while dealing with this situation, the simplest things can make me feel like crying in the ordinary moments.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   11.03.08 22:18

yes, i read novecento. i liked it. it is indeed very sad but i liked it. but i also thought silk was very sad. Sad but his style of writing is a very particular one. you have to be in the right mood to enjoy it indeed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   12.03.08 13:21

Yes, Irina, and its strange how much I loved Silk (although its sad, i had a very pleasant feeling all time reading it) and how sad I became after Novecento.

Right now Im reading a much funnier book - an utopy called Moscow 2042. Its way too funny by now, but of course it is a harsh irony about the communist party and their regime. A writer from the 1980s gets the chance to visit Moscow in 2042. Im just in the first part of the book but I appreciate the sense of humour of the author - he made up so interesting inventions of the future - e.g. newspaper in form of toilet paper, etc... mdr
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   20.04.08 9:08

Finally I have read "Atonement". It was a great reading, but somehow I was disappointed by the end...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   20.04.08 22:35

i also finally read atonement Very Happy well not just, but about one week ago.
why were you disappointed by the end??? i forgot if you saw the movie or not. i thought that the way the final idea is revealed in the book is a lot better than in the movie.
i was quite surprised reading the book about the fact that the chosen actors for the main parts did not match the physical descriptions from the book. scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   21.04.08 8:31

I didnt see the movie, only read the book. I was disappointed because somehow in this way you still cant be sure how the whole story ended in fact...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   21.04.08 22:06

well, what i liked is the idea of the book. the fact that in the book there was also this love story is secondary, and i thought that what happened to the lovers or to any other person in the book is not really important . it could have been any story, but i like the idea that the writer is somehow god. because anything we know, any story we ever heard or read and we assumed it is the truth it was in fact that writer's vision of what the truth should be.
i read this book by a romanian author, a very smart woman. it is a comedy but also has this same idea that what really matters is not what is was but what people we'll remember for centuries. what really happens to us matters only to us but our story can be twisted in any way in a story. this story by the romanian author is actually a play about jessus. i am so sorry i don't have this book in english because i would have loved for you to read it. the author is called alina mungiu pippidi, she is the sister of cristian mungiu the director of " 4 months, 3 weeks and 2 days " the movies that won at cannes. smart family !!Very Happy
well, i will stop now, but i guess it is obvious that this subject attracted me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Titanilla
Ces soirées-là

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   22.04.08 7:45

Oh yes, I see what you mean and if I look at the whole story like this, it is completely different! So thank you for this insight! (It seems that although Im reading a lot fiction, Im still attached to the journalistic factial way of thinking.... I need to know how it was in real, LOL! mdr)
This play about Jesus must be really interesting, maybe once it will be translated!
By the way, as for "Atonement", I was two times shocked a little bit, LOL, because 1) when I was a child i also wrote a play and forced the neighbour children to take part in it (however, it wasnt any love story - seems I havent believed so much in romance already back then.. mdr - but some action thing, with policemen and stuff), 2) my initials are B. T. (as in hungarian we write the last name first....) But luckily we have no fountain and i have no sister! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   22.04.08 13:50

:lach: well the fountain would have been no problem, but for the sister it would have been bad !!!
unfortunately when i was young i was the one being forced by my friend to do what she wanted. and when we were in the 5th grade she was a new kids on the block fan and she made me learn all their names and birth dates and so on. in the end i ended up a fan, so all that info wouldn't go to waste :greensmilewink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reading thread - recommend books here!   

Back to top Go down

Reading thread - recommend books here!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Miscellaneous :: Anything/ Discussion divers hors patinage-
Jump to: