View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
irina_something
SOS d'un terrien en detresse

Number of posts : 4437
Registration date : 2006-07-28

PostSubject: question?   02.04.07 0:15

i visited the old bjdg to read lisa's reports and this thought crossed my mind. how come on the old board is not the adress of the new board??? if it is, soory for bothering you.
but when you write in google search brian joubert our forum is very far down on the list and the old forum is closer to the top.
just wondering, and i saw here is a place for questions!!!
thank you :heartbjdg2:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leni
Matrix

Number of posts : 3121
Registration date : 2006-07-01

PostSubject: Re: question?   02.04.07 0:23

Quote :
when you write in google search brian joubert our forum is very far down on the list and the old forum is closer to the top.

I`ve noticed this too Irina Suspect scratch .well,I`m sure our question will be answered soon! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rach
vip

Number of posts : 2458
Registration date : 2006-08-15

PostSubject: Re: question?   02.04.07 16:54

OK, for that, I'm not totally sure of these things, but I think that this is mainly due to the html tag for language being set to "fr" because Gis created this forum through MegaBB France.

Code:

<html dir="ltr" lang="fr">

The best thing would be to change the forum language to "en" or, ideally, "en, fr"

Search engines like google filter search results by language as stated in META tags. This is why if you use, say, english google and search for the word "service" for example, your results are going to come back all (or nearly all) in English... French pages will be there but many pages below English because of the filter. There is also an internal priority of languages and by default English is usually set higher in the list than French... so if you are using non-English google, the other forum could still come up first.

For the record "my" google, which is geared to prioritise French pages returns THIS address as the first result.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rach
vip

PostSubject: Re: question?   02.04.07 16:59

Gis, si cela t'intéresse, je pense que tu peux changer les balises META du forum en réglant la langue principale à l'anglais... malheureusement je ne pense pas que MegaBB te permette de modifier directement le code HTML.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gislaine
The Boss

Number of posts : 13310
Registration date : 2006-06-10

PostSubject: Re: question?   02.04.07 17:05

Rach definitely answered question! LOL Forumactif is a French free forum, MeGabb makes left Forumactif. !

Gislaine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gislaine
The Boss

PostSubject: Re: question?   02.04.07 17:07

Rach wrote:
Gis, si cela t'intéresse, je pense que tu peux changer les balises META du forum en réglant la langue principale à l'anglais... malheureusement je ne pense pas que MegaBB te permette de modifier directement le code HTML.
Le forum est en anglais , je ne sais pas pour les balises Meta et je doute que je puisse le faire (en plus je n'y connais rien en htlm) je préfère que celà reste comme ça!Je suis étonnée que l'ancien BJDG soit toujours référencé malgré la fermeture !

Gislaine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skyzthelynnit
vip

Number of posts : 1865
Registration date : 2006-06-14

PostSubject: Re: question?   02.04.07 18:14

This is a small question so i didn't want to start a new topic for it.. But I can't see the images below the Easter message.. this is what it looks like..
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/7333/screensv8.gif
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rach
vip

PostSubject: Re: question?   02.04.07 18:33

skyzthelynnit wrote:
This is a small question so i didn't want to start a new topic for it.. But I can't see the images below the Easter message.. this is what it looks like..
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/7333/screensv8.gif

It is probable because icônes-gif doesn't allow direct links. I will see what I can do to find the images and upload them to my FTP so that they can be displayed.

Gis, concernant les balises HTML, il suffit de régler la langue du forum à l'anglais depuis le panneau d'administration. Sinon ce n'est pas un drame que le forum reste tel quel !

Lynn, as Gis made you admin as well, is it possible from the control panel to change the language of the forum? The control option would look something like this :

Back to top Go down
View user profile
skyzthelynnit
vip

PostSubject: Re: question?   02.04.07 18:37

Rach wrote:
Lynn, as Gis made you admin as well, is it possible from the control panel to change the language of the forum? The control option would look something like this :

I am only temporary admin but.. well OK I will try it if it's OK with Gis? lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skyzthelynnit
vip

PostSubject: Re: question?   02.04.07 18:39

OK I just looked.. and the language of the forum is in English..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rach
vip

PostSubject: Re: question?   02.04.07 18:45

Thank you Lynn for the clarification... since the Meta tags are still set to "fr" I think that this language setting is an incontournable fact stemming from the... fact... that Gis created the forum through forumactif.

Oh well. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skyzthelynnit
vip

PostSubject: Re: question?   02.04.07 18:47

Rach wrote:
Thank you Lynn for the clarification... since the Meta tags are still set to "fr" I think that this language setting is an incontournable fact stemming from the... fact... that Gis created the forum through forumactif.

Oh well. Smile

you know it must be because there are certain things in forum software that you aren't allowed to change.. but their support forum is great so maybe Gis could ask there..

I don't know if anyone here still has access to the old forum but it would be nice if there was a link to the new BJDG on the main page.. I know there is one you can copy.. but more of an announcement that we have moved that is clearly visible from the main page.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rach
vip

PostSubject: Re: question?   02.04.07 18:50

That would be an excellent idea, Lynn! Perhaps Gislaine can put a big notice up there as I believe that she was an administrator on that board, too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skyzthelynnit
vip

PostSubject: Re: question?   02.04.07 18:51

OK I just took a look at the source code here and it *is* in english.. this is the page info from the main part of the board..
Quote :
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"><html dir="ltr" lang="en"><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"><meta name="language" content="en"><meta name="description" content="les compétitions, les shows, divers..."><meta name="keywords" lang="en" content="patinage artistique , les compétitions, les galas , divers...">

so I think the problem is with the meta name keywords.. if we added "Brian Joubert Discussion Group" Then i'm almost positive that would help with the google search.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rach
vip

PostSubject: Re: question?   02.04.07 18:56

WHAT? Here is what I get:

Quote :
lang="fr">

And yes adding tag "Brian Joubert Discussion Group" would definitely help. I never suggested it because I generally add my Meta tags directly in the HTML, which is impossible with MegaBB so I thought that it was a moot point. However it appears that their is a content field that they let you modify (I never read that far in the first time I looked at the code). Oups. hide8up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skyzthelynnit
vip

PostSubject: Re: question?   02.04.07 19:00

Rach wrote:
WHAT? Here is what I get:

Code:
<DOCTYPE><html><head><meta><title>Board issues and Questions/Questions sur le forum</title><link><script></script><script></script></head>

And yes adding tag "Brian Joubert Discussion Group" would definitely help. I never suggested it because I generally add my Meta tags directly in the HTML, which is impossible with MegaBB so I thought that it was a moot point. However it appears that their is a content field that they let you modify (I never read that far in the first time I looked at the code).

OK there is a section to add meta tags.. So I put them in English.. and it was BrianJoubertDiscussionGroup as one word so I changed it to Brian Joubert Discussion Group.. To get the meta coding.. i right clicked and chose "view page source" (I'm assuming you did this also?) Only I did it on the main page.. on individual pages the meta content would be different or there would be no meta keywords at all
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rach
vip

PostSubject: Re: question?   02.04.07 19:04

That post was actually a mistake on my part, I went back and edited it, posting the right code that I had meant to post the first time... I can be rather scatterbrained sometimes. Embarassed Sorry.

And yes, I accessed the source code with that nifty little function built into the browser. =)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skyzthelynnit
vip

PostSubject: Re: question?   02.04.07 19:12

ah ok i see your edited post.. hmm I really don't know why it's doing that.. do you have your OS set to French? wait that probably doesn't have anything to do with it..

OK this may sound like goobly gook to some lol! Basically what happens is search engines send out bots to collect information on websites.. when their bot comes here they look at the "keywords" that are applied on the site. So if, for example, the keywords don't include the worlds "Brian Joubert" or "Brian Joubert Discussion Group" then Google sees the sites that have that meta content first.. All of this is stuff that you don't actually *see* when you visit a website.. it's behind the scenes tech crap lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something
SOS d'un terrien en detresse

Number of posts : 4437
Registration date : 2006-07-28

PostSubject: Re: question?   02.04.07 19:18

girls thanks for taking an interest in my question. i kind of understand what you're saying Smile
and also i can't see the easter pics on the board!!!
irina
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gislaine
The Boss

PostSubject: Re: question?   02.04.07 20:31

skyzthelynnit wrote:
OK I just looked.. and the language of the forum is in English..
scratch The official language of the forum is in English, why she is French? I do not think! I put only French in my profil ( I prefer )!

Gislaine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rach
vip

PostSubject: Re: question?   02.04.07 21:43

MAMOUNA38 wrote:
I put only French in my profil ( I prefer )!

Moi itou. Smile Quoi qu'il en soit, nous avons découvert que changer la langue du forum ne sert à rien.

Quel mystère !

Nice explanation, Lynn. Laughing I feel like tech support today. :geek:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gislaine
The Boss

PostSubject: Re: question?   03.04.07 11:19

I think that it comes from the reference on Google, I must have made it at level Google France! LOL

Gislaine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Malgosia
vip

Number of posts : 3247
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: question?   03.04.07 11:43

irina_something wrote:
and also i can't see the easter pics on the board!!!

Neither can I No
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gislaine
The Boss

PostSubject: Re: question?   03.04.07 11:56

scratch It is strange because I saw pictures of Easter definitely, Rach m ' spoke about it by pm and also sent links, is what you see them now? I see them definitely!!!
C'est étrange car je voyais bien les images de Pâques , Rach m' en a parlé par pm et envoyé aussi des leins ,est ce que vous les voyez maintenant ? Je les vois bien !!!

Gislaine
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rach
vip

PostSubject: Re: question?   03.04.07 12:11

Moi je les vois bien maintenant.

Et vous ?

Now I see them fine.

And you all?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: question?   

Back to top Go down

question?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 11Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Board issues and Questions/Questions sur le forum-
Jump to: