AuthorMessage
annie_celeblas
Love's divine

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Canadian Nationals   17.01.08 8:48

Canadian Nationals has just started:
http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/events_results/events/cdns08/results/index.cfm

Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir are leading after the compulsory dance.

The men's competition will be most exciting, I think. Wonder if Buttle can hold his leadership in the national team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Malgosia
vip

Number of posts : 3247
Registration date : 2006-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   17.01.08 10:56

Thanks for opening this thread, Annie! I'm looking forward to men's results too!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
irina_something
SOS d'un terrien en detresse

Number of posts : 4437
Registration date : 2006-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   17.01.08 12:11

i hope jeff will be skating good because all the other possible contenders from canada annoy me a lot.

good luck tessa and scott!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
annie_celeblas
Love's divine

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   17.01.08 16:05

Irina, I hope so too, but Jeff is not stable now, and Chan is really good, although not as good as Jeff can be, of course. Sawer is a nice guy, but he probably does not stand a chance. The only canadian guy that annoys me is Mabee. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
humming bird
Le Blues du Businessman

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2006-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   17.01.08 22:41

as I've recently fallen in love with Jeff.... Very Happy I'm for him!
goooo!
the other Canadian guys don't attract my attention somehow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Malgosia
vip

Number of posts : 3247

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   18.01.08 11:37

I'm not into Buttle's skating...also there is something about him that irritates me - probably that he smiles too much scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
annie_celeblas
Love's divine

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   18.01.08 12:26

Malgosia, Buttle's smile irritates me too! Very Happy But his skating is best of the Canadian guys, so I think he will win, if he wouldn't be falling too much.

Meanwhile, Virtue and Moir are leading after the Original Dance (duh!).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
humming bird
Le Blues du Businessman

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2006-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   18.01.08 16:29

him smile used to irritate me but now I love it Very Happy

(Malgosia you won't have a nice life with me cheering for Jeff at Worlds lol!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Twizzler221
J'ai demandé à la lune

Number of posts : 572

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   18.01.08 17:33

We get to see the men's sp live tonight at 7 pm and then at midnight they will show pairs short and a repeat of men's sp.

Here are my opinion's on this event:

One of the most interesting thing about the men's event is that Jeff has gone back to last year's sp. I wonder if he will be able to skate it better than he was able to skate his new sp this season. He has a terrible time with his 3A and unfortunately for him Patrick Chan has a good one and has been consistant this season. One skater I am looking forward to seeing is Fedor Andreev. He has not skated the past few years but started training again and did very well at an event this fall. I really believe that first and second will go to Jeff and Patrick but I am not 100% sure of who will come out on top. The bronze medal is where the race will be. Those competing for it should be Shawn Sawyer, Chris Mabee, Fedor (fingers crossed here! lol) and Vaughn Chipeur.

The dance event is going just as I would have expected it. The only question for me is if Scott and Tessa can score over 200 points which they are well on their way to do as after the cd and od they have 105.33 points. Scott and Tessa will not be beaten as they have a 17 point lead over the rest of the dancers so the race comes down to 2nd and 3rd spots. I believe the battle will be between last year's bronze medalists, Weaver/Poje and Hann-McCurdy/Coreno who finished 8th. The 4 teams that were between them have either retired or disolved their partnerships. Last years junior champions are looking for a spot on the national team and possible grand prix assignments. I really like this team of Vanessa Crone and Paul Poirier. They rocked last year in Halifax and I expect we will be seeing alot more of them in the future. They are currently sitting in the fifth place position which is terrific for their first year at senior nationals. But with only .48 points between the teams in the 4th through 6th place, they will have to give it everything they have in the free dance. One very interesting fact about this years dance event involves Shae Lynn Bourne and Victor Kraatz the 2003 World Champions. They are not competing but are both coaching. Shae is coaching Weaver/Poje and Victor is the coach of Hann-McCurdy/ Coreno. I am very excited to see who comes out on top of this coaching match up!

More thoughts to come....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Twizzler221
J'ai demandé à la lune

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   18.01.08 18:17

I believe the class of the pairs event is the team of Dube/Davison. They remind me of Sale/Pellitier. They seem to have a bit of a consistency problem but I still think they will win this event. The teams of Langlois/Hay, Duhamel/Buntin and Kirkland/Radford should all be in the hunt for a place on the podium as well. I heard from a friend in Vancouver that Kirkland/Radford have a huge 3twist and are skating really well. I also heard Rachel has grown since last year and that will only help with their "look" on the ice. Time can only have helped Duhamel/Buntin. I loved watching them at Skate Canada and I believe they have alot of potential. At SC they had only been together a few months and showed great promise in their first event together. I look forward to seeing what kind of progress they have made since then.

The ladies event for me is the least exciting. I expected Joannie Rochette to win but am really hoping she can lay down 2 clean programs esp. her sp. Mira Leung has changed her sp program and from what I have read, it is more mature than the Pink Panther that she was skating too earlier this season. One thing I would love to see happen this week has to do with Lesley Hawker. I would love to see her finish second and finally get the chance to go to the world championships. I am not a fan of her skating but one can not help but cheer for her. She is the oldest lady competitor, has an infectious smile and seems to really love skating. Go Lesley!! A couple of ladies who could also make a run for the podium are Cynthia Phaneuf and Myriane Samson. I honestly do not know enough about them to make a prediction as to where they will finish.

Well, less than 5 hours to go to see some live skating of the New Year for me, so I will go and get my chores finished and maybe take a nap so I can stay up tonight and watch the pairs sp.

Lisa
Back to top Go down
View user profile
annie_celeblas
Love's divine

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   18.01.08 18:44

Lisa, thanks for your survey! I'm looking forward fot men's event, I think it will be very hard to predict the winner. Unlike this, in dance and pairs the winners for sure will be Tessa/Scott and Dube/Davison. I like them and hope see them performing well at Worlds. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Twizzler221
J'ai demandé à la lune

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   19.01.08 3:08

Spoilers ahead!!! Youhave been warned!!! lol

What a good night of skating bythe men. CBC showed the final flight and I must say it was one of the better nights of skating I have seen in a long time. I only hope that they skate the long programs as well. There were no real falls, a couple of stumbles but other than that, it was well skated. My one complaint would be the music choices. I did not find any of it memorable or even something I would want to watch again.

The night started with Kevin Reynolds. He was the only man to do a quad jump. He did the 4s1t, 3a and a triple flip or lutz. I was not really paying attention. He skated to some tango music and scored a pb of 60.10. Way to go Kevin! I love when skaters get pb's.

Vaughn Chipeur skated next to blues music. What a wonderful jumper Vaughn is. I have NEVER seen a triple axel like he did tonight. It was spectacular!! The judges thought so too because the commentators said he got 9 points for it. Vaughn brought his A game tonight and tried the 3f3t for the first time in competition. He normally just does a 2t on the end of his flip. He had a fallout of the 3t but what a great effort by Vaughn. His final jump was the lutz. Another beautiful jump. Well skated program overall and he scored 69.10.

Next up was Patrick Chan. He started his program with the 3a but had a slight fall (his hand touched the ice) on it but rebounded with a wonderful 3f3t and a 3l. He is just a wonderful skater to watch. I can't say enough great things about him. He scored a 73.42.

Shawn Sawyer skated next. Shawn did a 3f3t, 3a (2 footed) and he popped the lutz into a single. Not his best outing but man is this guy flexible. Great highlight moves. Shawn scored 64.

Chris Mabee skated to Spartacus and opened his program with a wonderful 3f3t followed by a 3a and a 3l. Another well skated program scoring Chris 70.46. I was worried here as his program was clean and Patrick had an error but Patrick still came out on top outscoring Chris on both the technical and presentation scores.

The final skater of the evening was Jeff Buttle. I was amazed at how at ease he seemed. I have not seen that from Jeff in a long time. He opened with a 3f3t combo followed by a 3a and 3l. Well skated program but I still can't get into his skating. He also scored a pb with 80.80 points. Is that score competative with the other top skaters?? I question this because national championships are known for inflated marks and if this is the case here, the marks seem on the low side to me. Just an obsevation!! But with a 7 point lead over Patrick, it seems he will have to mess up pretty bad not to win this event and become Canadian Champion for the fourth time.

Out of the six skaters I watched, I was most impressed with Patrick. Even with the mistake it was a well skated program. Fedor Andreev skated earlier in the evening and finished the evening in 5th so he will be in the final flight for the lp. I am looking forward to seeing him skate again!!

More skating on at midnight!! Less than an hour to go. I only hope they show the pairs before the men so I can go to bed! lol

Lisa
Back to top Go down
View user profile
annie_celeblas
Love's divine

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   19.01.08 10:09

Lisa, thank you so much for your report! It is very interesting, what will happen in men's long, can't wait to see the results!

I wonder what happend with Dube/Davison? They are only 5th after the SP!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nina
vip

Number of posts : 3534
Registration date : 2006-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   19.01.08 14:16

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Lisa! It was really interesting to read! :super:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheena

Number of posts : 5583

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   19.01.08 16:45

Thanks Lisa, it is good to hear your opinions on what is happening at Canadian Nationals!

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book" - Groucho Marx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
quintia
Matrix

Number of posts : 3229

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   19.01.08 17:29

Thanks Lisa!! I remember Kevin Reynolds from Skate America. He's such a cutie! I couldn't (and still can't believe) that he's older than Patrick Chan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Karen
Mon ami

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2006-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   20.01.08 1:51

Thanks, Lisa!

Lisa and I met at Canadians last year Wink

http://www.kodakgallery.com/photos-by-karen/skating/canadian_nationals_2007

http://www.brianjoubert-forum.com/competitions-shows-competitions-et-galas-f6/canadian-nationals-jan-15-21-t374.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.kodakgallery.com/photos-by-karen/skating
Eli
Daft Punk

Number of posts : 2565

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   20.01.08 2:50

THANKS Lisa for all the news and for sharing with us your own feelings about the cometitions hugs
Can't wait to find out about men's LP!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
annie_celeblas
Love's divine

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   20.01.08 7:32

Jeff Buttle lost LP and the National title to Chan! I still can't beleive it.
Sawer is third, so this means will will see him at Worlds, right? Glad for him, he is a very nice skater to watch.

Dube/Davison won the LP, but placed second overall. Also a surprise, for me at least...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zandor
Daft Punk

Number of posts : 2942
Registration date : 2006-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   20.01.08 12:09

Unfortunately Canada only have 3 spots for men, so I think we won't see Shaun Sawyer at WC 2008. No I always like his exibitions on gala.

Eli
Daft Punk

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   20.01.08 14:30

annie_celeblas wrote:
Jeff Buttle lost LP and the National title to Chan! I still can't beleive it.

Dube/Davison won the LP, but placed second overall. Also a surprise, for me at least...

I'm in a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig shock Shocked Shocked Shocked
But THANKS for the news!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
annie_celeblas
Love's divine

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   20.01.08 14:46

zandor wrote:
Unfortunately Canada only have 3 spots for men, so I think we won't see Shaun Sawyer at WC 2008. No I always like his exibitions on gala.

Iza, that's a pity. Sad I like his skating.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Twizzler221
J'ai demandé à la lune

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   20.01.08 15:42

Wow!!! What a great day of skating. Full of many surprises!! Sorry I did not write this earlier but I am fighting a cold and I feel terrible!! But not so terrible that I did not watch 4 hours of skating yesterday! lol How awesome was that!! We get another 2 today so I will be lying on the couch all bundled up cheering on my favorites!

The day started out with the ladies sp. I really did not pay close enough attention to tell you anything except Joannie is in the lead with Mira in second (there is just over 1 point seperating these two, which is very surprising!!) and Myriane Samson currently in third. They skate later today and it will be shown live.

Pairs lp was next. They only showed us 5 pairs starting with Dube/Davison. Wow, what a difference from the sp. Jess had this look on her face that she was not going down without a fight. To me Bryce look a bit more unsteady but all in all they were wonderful. Great skate and well deserved marks.

Next up was Miller/Moran. I do not know alot about this couple except she is from the US and he looks like Kevin Bacon.!! lol They tried the throw 4S but did not land it (not sure the degree of the miss as I was doing other things at the time). They had a rough skate and ended up dropping in the standings.

Next was the brother/sister duo of Kyra and Dylan Moscovitch. He is 23 and she is 14 so they are too old for juniors and not old enough for seniors. These two are coached by Kris and Kristy Wirtz, former Canadian Champions. These two are alot of fun to watch and have some wonderful tricks. I enjoy them and hope she stops growing or she will be throwing and lifting him soon! lol Well skated program with a few baubles here and there but enough to still keep them on the national team.

Now for the big guns: The new team of Duhamel/Buntin were next. What a wonderful team they are. She is fearless. Such a little dynamo. Excellent program for them. They are so much better than at SC and I expect them to get better the longer they are together.

At this point D/D are still in first with one team to go;

Langlois/Hay are next. Good program for them. Well skated with a few little baubles but nothing too major outside of the 3s where she doubled and he stumbled. She had this look of determination on her face and on the 2nd throw she faught hard for the landing and was not going to let it go. Well done and they win by .15!!!

So, overall one of the better pairs lp's I have seen in a long time. Well skated by most of the teams. We get to send 3 teams to worlds which is wonderful so our world team will consisit of Langlois/Hay, Dube/Davison and Duhamel/Buntin.

The original dance was next.

Nothing really surprising to report here. Well skated programs by all dancers. Scott/Tessa are really the class of the field here. And are so far in the lead that no on ewill be able to catch them. The battle for 2 and 3 place is heating up. Weaver/Poje has a less than one point lead over Hann-McCurdy/Coreno. In fourth is a new team of Girard/Dougherty. They both skated with different partners last year so this is their first Canadians together and I like them. And sitting in fifth spot are the junior dance champions for last year, Crone/Poirier. These two are so good. I expect to be seeing alot of great things from them in the future. Should be a great afternoon of skating!!

Up next the MEN'S EVENT:

Lisa
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Twizzler221
J'ai demandé à la lune

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   20.01.08 16:48

The men!!!!! They showed us the final flight live! What a treat that was. I was so nervous but in a good way.

During the warmup we were told that Kevin Reynolds landed a 4t3t3loop. He is the first skater to do this in the new scoring system and it was worth 18.33 points!!! (Evgeni P was the first skater (and only??) to land this combination under the old scoring system.) Great job Kevin!!!

First up was Shawn Sawyer: This guy is my sentimenal favorite. I met him in Halifax about 6 years ago and I told him he will be Canadian Champion one day and he just smiled and said "we'll see". I have followed his career and cheered for him ever since. Another cute story: In Calgary we went out for dinner and were seated next to Shawn and some friends. He had just had a rough sp skate so we decided to help cheer him up. During the course of the evening, he came over to our table and put a signed menu on it that said: To the best table! Thanks for the support Shawn S. (I still have that menu! lol) We asked if he was going to the 6am practice in the morning and he said yes and asked us if we were. Not really thinking, we all answered yes (this meant we had to get up at 4:30, yipes!!) and Shawn dared us to show up. Anyhow, the next morning at 6am we were walking done the stairs at the Saddledome to our seats, and Shawn looked up at us and started laughing. He explained to his coach what he was laughing at and later skated by telling us we were crazy!! After practice he came by to say thank you for coming and as his coached walked past, she thanked us as well and said it really helped Shawn to know he had support! He went on to skate a decent lp that evening with us cheering every step of the way!! Fast forward to last night: Shawn did not have a great sp or a great skate last year so I believe this skate was a way to redeem himself and get the monkey off his back and boy he did not disappoint!! He is a very musical skater with great inperpetation. He fought hard through out the program never giving up. He 2 footed a couple of jumps but I was so proud of him!!! He was very happy at the end of his skate and he deserved to be! His marks were: 69.24 64.24 133.48 and an overall total of 197.48. Way to go Shawn!!

Fedor was next: It was a great pleasure to see him skating again. He had some problems that included a popped lutz and a 2loop. He also only had 7 jumping passes and that really hurt him in the marks. His scores were; 44.88 66.76 111.64 with an overall total of 178.80.

Vaughn Chipeur: He started with a 3a with a stumble/handdown. He continued with a 3f2t,3l,3?,2a,3s,3l2t2t(or loop)2a. I just noticed that he only had 2 combinations but I may have missed the third one. Overall a good skate for Vaughn and it should keep him in the top 5. His scores were 57.84 64.42 122.26 for a total of 191.36.

Chris Mabee: I thought he looked really nervous before the program started. Chris had some problems throughout his program. He scored 120.18 for the lp and had an overall score of 190.64

Patrick: What can I say except if you can download this off of you tube, DO IT!!!! It was fantastic or Chantastic as we like to say!!! lol He was simply brilliant. Great jumps, great use of his music, wonderful step sequences (even if he did get a bit excited at the end of his straight line steps and hit the boards briefly and stumbling a tiny bit). The audience was clapping during this step sequence and did not stop. Most were standing before he finished his final spin and the rest when he was done. I must admit I was cheering loudly from my couch!!!! Huge scores of 81.66 77.60 159.26 which was more than 14 points higher than his pb. His total was 232.68.

Jeff: Was on the ice while Patrick was getting his marks and heard everything. I can only imagine how hard this would have been. Jeff started out his program with a beautiful 3a3t with a slight flipout of the toe followed by a great 3lutz. He went for a second 3a but fell hard and slid almost into the boards. He managed to come back with 3l2t2l,3s,3loop,2a and then only a 2lutz. Kurt mentioned that he only did 2 combinations! Big mistake at this level of competition. His marks were: 70.79 79.26 149.05 and a grand total for the event of 229.85. Sadly, it was not enough to beat Patrick so we now have a new Canadian Champion!!

Overall, I am really happy with the way this event was marked and pleased with the outcome. I did not want to see Jeff held up again and win with a so so skate. I believe Patrick will continue to grow as a skater and we will be seeing great things from him. This could also help ignite the fire in Jeff's belly and help him with the upcoming WC.

Well, that's all for now! Only 14 minutes till the next event!! lol

Lisa
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eli
Daft Punk

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   20.01.08 18:35

THANKS SO MUCH Lisa for your report! hugs
It was a pleasure to read!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Nationals   

Back to top Go down

Canadian Nationals
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brian Joubert Discussion Group :: Skating General :: Competitions & Shows/Compétitions et Galas-
Jump to: